Archive for Wednesday, April 4, 2012

NBC News apologizes for editing tape of 911 call

April 4, 2012

— NBC News has admitted it erred and has apologized for editing a recording of George Zimmerman’s call to police the night he shot Trayvon Martin.

In a news report last week, NBC’s “Today” show aired its edited version of Zimmerman’s call. The recording viewers heard was trimmed to suggest that Zimmerman volunteered to police, with no prompting, that Martin was black. But the portion of the tape that was cut out had the 911 dispatcher asking Zimmerman if the person who had raised his suspicion was “black, white or Hispanic,” to which Zimmerman responded, “He looks black.”

Later that night of Feb. 26, the 17-year-old Martin was fatally shot by Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer in Sanford, Fla. Though Martin was unarmed, Zimmerman told police he fired in self-defense after Martin attacked him.

Questions have arisen over whether Zimmerman had been racially profiling the youth, a theory the edited version of the tape seemed to support.

In a statement on Tuesday, NBC said its investigation turned up “an error made in the production process that we deeply regret.” It provided no details.

The network promised “necessary steps” would be taken “to prevent this from happening in the future,” and apologized to viewers.

Comments

FalseHopeNoChange 3 years ago

This is a "first". "Liberaltines" apologizing they lied to start a "race war". I wonder if Sharpton or Jackson know that NBC lied?

btw The Flexible Obama said if "I had a son he would have looked like Trayvon" Which begs me to wonder. If I had a son what he would have looked like?

somebodynew 3 years ago

"Which begs me to wonder. If I had a son what he would have looked like?"

Well, several things pop into my mind, but I won't say them :)

Liberty275 3 years ago

Just call them "progressives", Liberal was once a good word.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

NBC wasn't alone in pushing a narrative instead of reporting the truth. http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/211735.php

cato_the_elder 3 years ago

"NBC News has admitted it erred...."

"NBC said its investigation turned up 'an error made in the production process that we deeply regret.'"

To err is to be negligent. There was nothing negligent at all in this wholly intentional, gross distortion of a recorded conversation in order to smear one of the participants through carefully engineered electronic fraud.

mom_of_three 3 years ago

NBC may have been negligent, but I believe Zimmerman did say something to the effect that they get away with everything. Did he mean teenagers, black youth, hoodie wearers - it doesn't matter. That right there shows he was profiling someone.

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

Maybe when he said "they" he meant "people who commit crimes". As in an indictment of the criminal justice system for not fully prosecuting people who commit crimes and not punishing them upon conviction. The bottom line is we can read into statements like these whatever we want to read into them.

bad_dog 3 years ago

Maybe when he said "they" he meant "people who commit crimes".

And what crimes had Martin committed in Zimmerman's presence? As far as knowledge of crimes committed goes, the only ones Zimmerman was absolutely aware of were those he himself commited. Was he punished or did his "indictment of the criminal justice system" arise from personal experience?

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

I can't answer your questions. But that's my point. I can't answer of what he meant, what he was thinking, what he was doing. Those are things that need to be investigated. If anyone here, in this forum is answering those questions, they're just speculating.

bad_dog 3 years ago

What we do know is Martin was in Zimmerman's neighborhood when he died and Zimmerman for whatever reason didn't believe he belonged there. That's why Zimmerman questioned Martin's presence IMHO; he didn't believe he belonged there.

Only Z-man can tell us why he questioned Martin's presence such that he felt justified pursuing and confronting him despite being instructed to stand down by the police dispatcher. Dead men tell no tales.

jafs 3 years ago

My father in law said somewhat cynically that the motto of this story is "shoot to kill" - that way the other guy can't tell their story.

Ouch.

Liberty275 3 years ago

Is there a law prohibiting an American civilian "profiling" anyone?

pace 3 years ago

Then pray your kid doesn't get shot when he comes home arrogantly swigging his soda pop or ice tea. Have the parents stand over his body and tell him, as he bleeds out, that the guy thought he might be thinking about doing something, so it is just the cost of feeling safe. Nothing personal. No.

jafs 3 years ago

It's understandable.

But, it's a bad idea, in my view. Leave the policing to the police, who are trained, armed, and have authority that normal citizens don't have.

Form an official neighborhood watch group, consult with the police, and act in accordance with their instructions.

Following somebody around because you think they might be up to no good seems like a rather bad idea - look what happened here.

50YearResident 3 years ago

The question is: If the tapes would have not been edited to leave out the critical question of what is the guys race, would this story been a non-event and forgotten by now?

yourworstnightmare 3 years ago

This event just highlights a protected and privileged group in this country. Political correctness run amok.

Nutty, gun-toting vigilante wannabes. They must be protected at all costs.

50YearResident 3 years ago

I take it from your post you are not one of the "protected and privileged group" and it really irritated you.

yourworstnightmare 3 years ago

RC77 wrote: "Remember... innocent until proven guilty is the standard."

Indeed, this is the standard for conviction. However, it is not the standard for arrest and detention. Reasonable suspicion is used to arrest suspects all of the time. No arrests would or could be made if they had to be proved guilty first.

Zimmerman has not been arrested. The privileged class of nutty, gun-toting policeman wannabes must be protected at all costs.

pace 3 years ago

A man who chased an unarmed kid and shot him and wasn't arrested is not an angry mob being judge, jury, and executioner. That would be the shooter. The kid was innocent until proven guilty.

jafs 3 years ago

Wouldn't that apply to Martin as well?

Peacemaker452 3 years ago

Reasonable suspicion is the standard for brief detention while an officer tries to determine if there is probable cause for arrest. It is not, in itself, sufficient for arrest.

Liberty275 3 years ago

Thank you for pointing out the difference.

clubber1 3 years ago

They won't arrest him until they have evidence and can prove he's guilty. If they arrest him now but don't have the evidence to convict him, what good does that do?

pace 3 years ago

the only time Fox has to retract is if they accidentally put out something that is not a lie.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Bottom line: Armed interaction by a neighborhood watchman is amateur hour. Just look at the mess.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

rockchalker52 3 years ago

yah, got my own amateur hr goin' on, looks like.

Liberty275 3 years ago

Are the guys running some of these media outlets so dumb they think they can lie in the age of the internet? As for the case, I wash my hands of it and will let due process run it's course. We pay jurors $10 a day for deciding men's fates. They aren't my problem.

pace 3 years ago

I expect a legitimate news agency to not only apologize for errors but retract errors. I consider Fox news as lower than the shopping network for their standards of journalism.

pace 3 years ago

You are ridiculous. Rather than asking, you imagine my remarks. You do that a lot. You imagine and you imagine in sad narrow stereotypes. Yes I have watched FOX. I probably reference a hundred different reference sources a month. I read a lot. Another point of declining standards is AP. A lot of hogwash coming out of that source, they use to be pretty good.

jafs 3 years ago

I don't know for sure, but perhaps they don't have much to comment on here - NBC apologized and corrected their error, as they should have done.

Armstrong 3 years ago

If you want a real laugh watch Lawrence O' Donell on MSNBC. The rewrite section is particularly hillarious. How that clown can keep a straight face spewing that fiction is beyond comprehension.

pace 3 years ago

Oh my gosh, to you the point of the investigation of a man shooting a boy in Florida is what race you can call President Obama. OMG.