Archive for Wednesday, April 4, 2012

KU fans welcome home basketball team after run at championship

Thomas Robinson gives a short speech to more than 5,000 loyal Jayhawk fans who came to Allen Fieldhouse to welcome the team back from the NCAA tournament in New Orleans on Tuesday, April 3, 2012.

April 4, 2012

They may not have returned as champions, but at least they got a hero’s welcome.

More than 5,000 Jayhawk fans turned up Tuesday night to Allen Fieldhouse for the return of the men’s basketball team from New Orleans, which by all accounts had a stellar season despite its 67-59 loss to powerhouse Kentucky in the national championship game on Monday.

Many people talked about celebrating the better-than-expected season, including coach Bill Self.

“How many people could have predicted the accomplishments of this team?” he asked to a standing, cheering crowd.

And junior forward Thomas Robinson said he spoke for everyone in saying, “I’m proud of this season.”

But the celebration was bittersweet, Self said, because the end of the season meant the end to a team that’s come together — and one fans and coaches alike have come to be attached to.

“These guys lasted to the very, very end,” Self said. “They may have come up a little short; personally, I think we just ran out of time.”

Senior point guard Tyshawn Taylor praised the fans’ role in the season’s success.

“We would be half as good without you guys,” he said.

Senior guard Conner Teahan spoke about the team’s tenacity through upset wins and a final, hard loss.

“We never quit; we kept fighting,” he told the crowd. “We didn’t want to let you guys down.”

Teahan’s uncle and cousin were among the fans and echoed the pride expressed by others.

“Conner told us, ‘we’re gonna be great,’” said Mike Teahan, of Overland Park, about this year’s team. “As a fan, it was a stressful season at times, but really, the team did great this year.”

Fans like Lawrence resident Cassie Stone are already looking forward to next season.

“It’ll be an even better team next year, and we’ll go all the way,” she said.

Others are taking in this season’s highlights and getting excited for Kansas basketball’s return, win or lose.

“This season didn’t end on a low note for me — there were a couple of bad plays, but I’m really happy,” Lawrence resident Terry Gretencourd said. “And now I’m already ready for Late Night practice.”

Comments

Susan Mangan 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope this team realizes how much it's loved, and how proud we are. My eight year old and I had a talk last night about being a "real" fan. I told her that it was ok that she cried, because when you care enough to cry with joy at the wins, and feel the heartbreak of the losses, you are a true fan. She remembers being on Mass after the 08 win, and we drove through downtown last night to enjoy the celebration of another incredible season. And she couldn't have been prouder, being at Allen Field House tonight, to welcome the team home, and thank them for the amazing memories this season.

We're already excited about next season, but this year has been more fun than most. Rock Chalk!

Choctaw 3 years, 2 months ago

My daughter, a KU grad of course, was forced to watch the game at a bar in Columbia, Mo. due to a business commitment. She wore her new KU Championship Game sweatshirt and was amazed at how friendly the reception was by the locals. While it had something to due with guys in a bar being nice to a pretty girl they were cheering for the Jayhawks against Kentucky during the game. Surprised her and showed just how much the rest of the world dislikes Kentucky and their slimy coach.

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 2 months ago

Less than seven months away to opening tip!

jaybird79 3 years, 2 months ago

Last fall at late night, Coach told us to enjoy the learning process of this team and by the end of the season they would be as good as any KU BBall team. True to his words, a great coach and a great team. We can't wait to watch the next group of young men grow to wear the proud shoes of our beloved hawks basketball team. Great job guys and thank you!

waka3 3 years, 2 months ago

dude people still watch basckettball

tyson travis 3 years, 2 months ago

Proudly wore a KU shirt and hat to a small party Tues nite down here in AR. My friends offered condolences since I'm the resident Jayhawk, but I told them that altho I wish we'd won, I had no reason to hang my head at all for this season. Can't spot a team like UK a 15-point lead late in the game and expect to come back, altho we almost pulled it off. Lawrence also showed WAY more class than Lexington, maybe our police chief should offer them some tips on how to nip problems in the bud before they happen. Looking forward to seeing Elijah, Jeff, Travis and Kevin next year with a new supporting cast, hoping against hope that TRob will will return for unfinished business, but he's paid his dues and I won't feel bad if he moves on. RCJH!

mushflorp 3 years, 2 months ago

The Wildcats are much better basketball players than the Jayhawks. I bet everyone in Kentucky is so happy and talking about how much better they are then Kansas. They have the right to because they are the champions!

DRsmith 3 years, 1 month ago

Well hate to break it to you, it doesn't work like that. KU would never be awarded the championship. It is left vacant.

DRsmith 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, because he would have to pay considering they will all me millionaires next month. Makes sense. Whatever you have to tell yourself to soften the blow.

optimist 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, and every school he's coached at hasn't ended up on some form of probation upon his departure.

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 1 month ago

Unlike the "one-and-done" factory that is UK, at least KU could walk off the floor Monday night actually claiming to be a TEAM. There's something significant and special to be said for that. RCJH!

DRsmith 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually there isn't really anything significant about being losers. Lots of teams do that.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 1 month ago

But there is something special about getting to second place, especially with a team that was predicted to fail miserably. Though they didn't win the final game, they still played their butts off all year and gave the trolls something to work with. You're welcome.

mom_of_three 3 years, 1 month ago

man, it must suck to have such an attitude.

Jock Navels 3 years, 1 month ago

it's possible to celebrate the KU basketball team and its accomplishments without dogging on Kentucky and/or Calipari. They play in Rupp Arena, after all. They are a stepchild. And they play defense.

northtowngrl 3 years, 1 month ago

I just wanna know when the PARADE will be held. I love this team. I say the city celebrates big-time with them here to enjoy it. Who's with me?

northtowngrl 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes seriously! A parade to acknowledge their accomplishments and show our love for this team and this program. A parade to thank them for bringing this community together for one shining season and a great weekend that was an economic boon to this community in many many ways. A parade to celebrate winning their conference, making it to the final four and a parade to honor Bill Self, National Coach of the Year! Yes. Seriously. A. Parade.

Of Course if there is by chance a parade please feel free to stay home and mope if you prefer. Just don't rain on OUR parade. OK?

acg 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm so proud of my Jayhawks. U guys rocked it this season, against some odds and some naysayers. I also want to say, even though I moved away 6 months ago, I miss my wonderful city of Lawrence. I'm so proud of the way you behaved Monday night. The ruckus was very minimal, according to what I read and heard. Can u believe those idiots in KY trashed Lexington, over a win?!? It's bad enough when people do it over a loss but when u win? WTH? That just goes to show you who has class. Way to go Lawrence and way to go KU!!

Scott Tuley 3 years, 1 month ago

DRsmith you should go back and look at all your past comments, wow what a collection. Just be happy your team won, whoever that is? You kind of sound like a MU fan .

DRsmith 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually I consider myself a psychologist of sorts. Have to bring you guys back from the edge. I really didn't think it would be this bad considering KU was clearly outmanned, not to mention they overachieved. I guess that isn't enough for some fans so they have to take shots at the winners and reach for something to ease the pain.

Jeremiah Jefferson 3 years, 1 month ago

It amazes me at the excuses some of you are coming up with for losing. I really feel bad for the players of KU and even some of the fans who had their hearts torn out of their chests watching that game. But there are alot of KU fans who are simply talking out of their rear ends. What ever happened to being beaten by a better team and not making excuses for it? No instead half of you morons have to try and diminish the accomplishments of the Kentucky players, their team, their state and the people of Lexington. Some of you mentioned that the players for Kentucky are paid. Realy? KU doesn't engage in that type of behavior right? Kentucky is paying their players every bit as much as Kansas is paying their players so quit belly aching about NCAA sanctions and stripping teams of championships. They could just as easily do it to KU. Are there never any KU players in the paper for breaking the law, violating substance abuse policies, assault charges and so forth? Has KU not been at the focal point of a million dollar ticket scandal? Talk about the Lawrence police chief giving lessons to the Lexington police department, really? What lessons are you going to give them, lessons on how to fix traffic violations in exchange for tickets to football and basket ball games? So what if they rioted in Lexington, Lawrence was no better when the roofs, windshields of cars were caved in, street signs vandalized, wicker seats burned. KU put a dang good squad together this year and went farther than anyone could have predicted. No one can deny that or take that away. But seriously, why try and diminish what Kentucky has accomplished? They are just as historically significant in college basketball as Kansas is, and it just so happens they were the better team Monday night. I don't follow KU, KSU or even Missouri, so I am not bashing anyone team. But I will say alot of bad apple KU fans are making the good people of KU, Lawrence, and Jayhawk fans look like cry babies. I sincerely feel bad for the KU faithfull who were disapointed by Monday nights game. But some of you need to get a grip and grow up.. If you think you got it so bad, go talk to a Buffalo Bills fan. Theres no sense and no honor in bashing Kentucky for a spectacular season. I have family in Memphis who are loyal Tiger fans and not once did I hear a complaint about KU when they won against Memphis in 2008.

mom_of_three 3 years, 1 month ago

"I have family in Memphis who are loyal Tiger fans and not once did I hear a complaint about KU when they won against Memphis in 2008." then you probably weren't listening very well, but then again, they may have been complaining about the free throw shooting.

Jeremiah Jefferson 3 years, 1 month ago

Your the exact kind of person my post is singeling out. Instead of owning up to simply losing to a better team, you'd rather make excuses and place the blame on anything but the players and coaching staff. You have probably never even been to Lexington Kentucky, but since your team got dirt rolled by them you think its ok to rip and blast anything that has to do with Kentucky. I am sorry that your a mother of three. I am sorry your children have you teaching them and setting examples for them. Obviously sportsmanship counts for nothing in your book.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 1 month ago

"Your the exact kind of person my post is singeling out... I am sorry that your a mother of three. I am sorry your children have you teaching them and setting examples for them."

Ironic Post of the Day!!!

Kent Richardson 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey dude, just enjoy your win. Your posts could be construed to mean the victory wasn't satisfying enough to you on it's own merits.

Kent Richardson 3 years, 1 month ago

Something about this group of guys. Maddening to marvelous but clutch as heck.

woodscolt 3 years, 1 month ago

Great year..................Great memories, Thanks KU BB. Because of this years team, I bet next years team won't be underrated!!!!