Archive for Wednesday, April 4, 2012

City seeks ideas for skate park

April 4, 2012

Leaders with the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department are looking for feedback on proposed improvements to the city skate park in Centennial Park.

City officials will host a meeting at 6 p.m. Friday at the Carnegie Building, 200 W. Ninth St., to hear ideas about how the city can improve the city-operated skate park.

The skate park, located at 600 Rockledge Road, has deteriorated since it was built in 1998. City officials recently have hired a Maine-based design firm to come up with about $125,000 worth of improvements to the facility.

Once a design is settled upon, work is expected to begin later this year.

Comments

notyourmom 2 years ago

My kids are 9 and 10. They have a great time with their cheap skateboards, bikes, and even their remote control cars at the skate park. The teens I have seen there meet up after school, and before and after work. They are respectful of my kids and other little kids playing there. They watch out for each other, and seem to have a very low tolerance for anything that might give the park a bad name or have it closed down. They have earned the faith and trust of the people of this town. Upgrades are appropriate at this time and I plan to go to this meeting to voice my opinion.

1029 2 years ago

They should level the skate park or make the kids pay for the improvements

2RockChalk3 2 years ago

Anyone have a clue as to what is happening with the basketball courts at Deerfield Elementary…

socnick 2 years ago

Keep it up Lawrence! We need more outdoor parks and recreational activities such as skate parks, bike parks, disc golf courses, walking trails, bike trails, playgrounds, dog parks, etc. Love to see that the city supports outdoor recreational activities! Next, how about a new bike park similar to Boulder's Valmont Bike Park for all the cycling enthusiasts in this town! http://bouldermountainbike.org/content/gallery

irvan moore 2 years ago

i like the skate punks, kinda fun to watch them cruisin" the walks and streets

Scott Oswalt 2 years ago

Have Rob Dyrdek build it.

consumer1 2 years ago

I am not opposed to the park. I believe it is a good idea. I am more opposed to the city's rampant willingness to spend money during a depressed economic time. I do believe whether they charge or not, there needs to be an attendant there to ensure safety. Also, Kokomo and Arvada have much higher populations than Lawrence does.

MISTERTibbs 2 years ago

I can tell you that I've been to the park in Kokomo and there were many more than 15-30 kids there on the two days that I visited the park. The park in Arvada is fairly new and I haven't visited it yet. I can tell you that several of my friends who live in Colorado have been there and it is used quite heavily, much like the Boulder Skate Park and the new park in Longmont. Oh, btw, it isn't just teens that use these parks. I'm a 48 year-old accountant that likes to skate. My friends in CO are the same age as I am. One works as an administrator and teacher at the Y out there and the other is a physical therapist (he comes in real handy on some skating days) so it isn't just a kid thing.

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

If we don't give these teens and young adults an activity where they can channel their energy, they will undoubtedly find some other activity. Do we want them going to a skateboard park or do we want them wandering the streets, looking for something to do?

consumer1 2 years ago

I would like to know how many skaters use that park on a dailey basis, then know how much these repairs are going to cost, we already know they have spent $125,000.00 dollars just to have someone research and design a new park, add that to the total cost of reconstruction. How much to build and how much use by a very special interest group? Maybe $35-40 thousand dollars per skater? and you want the taxpayer to foot the bill for 15-30 kids per day using it? Then add park maintenence to the bill and future repairs.

consumer1 2 years ago

It is not the tax payers responsibility to pay for your kids toys. Parks are for everyone to enjoy, a skate park targets only skaters. Try getting into a national park for free! Try getting into Clinton park for free! They serve everyone, but they charge too!

consumer1 2 years ago

Magnus doesn't appear to have a grip on reality, " especially underprivileged ones", I guess there is a discount store someplace that sells boards cheap, with cheap wheels no doubt, then there are the underpriveledged wearing those $40.00 T shirts. and $80-150 skater shoes, How much are hats for the under priveledged kids? 20 -30 dollars? Yep those poor kids. I am not oppiosed to the skate park, but to call skaters underpriveledged is rediculous. Just like calling the trust fund hippies underpriveledged.

Paul Geisler 2 years ago

Consumer1 doesn't appear to know much of the skating ethos. Having an attendant and charging to use the skate park would discourage kids from using it, especially underprivileged ones. The idea of this park is to give ALL kids in Lawrence a great location to exercise and be outside! I looked at the project pictures from the WhoSkates website and am really impressed with what the city is considering for this upgrade. Gone are the days of putting a few steel ramps on a concrete slab. Instead they are talking about building a genuine skate park with concrete bowls and ramps and lots of rails! Something this town should have done years ago. My best skateboarding days may be over but I still like to get out my old Tony Hawk and cruise around the skate park every once in a while, and this upgrade will definitely get me over there again, and again, and again!

consumer1 2 years ago

Have an attendant on site and charge to use the facility.