Archive for Monday, April 2, 2012

Heartbreaker in New Orleans

Jayhawks can’t cap comeback as Kentucky wins national championship

April 2, 2012, 10:42 p.m. Updated April 2, 2012, 11:32 p.m.

— Kentucky's Doron Lamb scored 22 points and Anthony Davis added six blocks, 16 rebounds, five assists and three steals as Kentucky held off Kansas for a 67-59 victory in the national championship game Monday night at the Superdome in New Orleans.

Kentucky's 11 blocks set a new championship game record, while Davis' six blocks tied the individual NCAA championship game record.

KU made just 17 of 51 two-pointers (33 percent).

Kentucky led by as many as 18 in the first half before KU trimmed the halftime deficit to 41-27.

KU cut the lead to 62-57 with 1:37 left on a pair of free throws by Thomas Robinson but couldn't come any closer.

Tyshawn Taylor led KU with 19 points on 8-for-17 shooting with three assists and five turnovers. Robinson added 18 points and 17 rebounds, making just six of 17 shots.

Both Robinson and Taylor were named to the Final Four All-Tournament Team. Davis was named the Most Outstanding Player.

KU ends its season with a 32-7 record.

Check Jesse Newell's live blog for post-game stats and analysis.

Comments

frazzled 2 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations to Kentucky. I'm proud of KU for all they achieved this year.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 4 months ago

Not sure about this late-term-comeback strategy of Self's. Would have been nice if we led at some point during this game.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 4 months ago

You did the first minute or two lmfao

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 4 months ago

I didn't catch the very beginning of the game, unfortunately.

rover 2 years, 4 months ago

2nd ain't bad, a great year for KU basketball!

novalissuperstar 2 years, 4 months ago

we'll get the championship once calipari's team is sanctioned by the NCAA

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 4 months ago

It's all good, lets be classy about this.

Kylee Manahan 2 years, 4 months ago

Uh, YES! Are you not proud of what this team accomplished this year? We ended up #2 and that to me is amazing considering what these guys looked liked at the beginning of the year. I AM SO PROUD!!!

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm very sad that we lost, but I am so proud of this team. Thank you Thomas Robinson for the wonderful 3 years, "Family Over Everything" you are forever a Jayhawk legend. Thank you Tyshawn Taylor for all that you have done for the Jayhawk nation, it's been fun watching you grow. We didn't give up, we fought till the end and went down like a true champ, fighting every second. It's been a fun season, can't wait till next season. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!

opinion 2 years, 4 months ago

Worst shooting but biggest hearted team I've seen in a while. I'd go to battle with these kids because you know they would give it their all. Thank you team. No shame in this season.

Mary Darst 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the wonderful season. For a rebuilding year, I think we did pretty damn good. Very proud of our team.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 4 months ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk. They played with heart. They never gave up. They did all of us proud.

nomansland 2 years, 4 months ago

Not sure I would call this a heart breaker considering how much we overachieved this season. Losing to Syracuse in the 2003 title game ranks as one of the more recent heart breakers. Kentucky was just too good to overcome in the final moments. I'm proud of this years Jayhawks team. One of the best seasons in the Self era! I'm going to miss Trob especially!

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 4 months ago

Not to be too picky, but there were only 4 teams in the final four. You seem to be suggesting there were 5. I will chalk that up to the lateness of the hour and the booze...

like_n_Lawrence 2 years, 4 months ago

I love our coach. I would have said one thing... Slam dunk the basketball instead of attempting a layup. We would have won by 30 points. Nice season though guys. You brought us a lot of fun times here in Lawrence.

Kylee Manahan 2 years, 4 months ago

So PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ljorgensen 2 years, 4 months ago

Fantastic Kentucky TEAM. We held AD to 5 points, but he still did his job blocking shots and the rest of the team did the scoring. I agree with nomansland that 2003 was the one painful to loose. Only a national championship would have eclipsed the 19 point come back at home against a great Missouri team. It is disappointing for this year's team that the grit and determination and spirit of never giving up that they earned the hard way, probably like no other KU team ever, didn't result in the championship. I for one sure wanted that Rocky story. I love this team this year. I will remember them as much as the 1988 and 2008 teams. Their effort and work and Self's coaching are so amazing to reflect upon. They have earned their place in the legacy of excellence that is KU Basketball. I hope all the fans in Lawrence and Kansas City get out and celebrate this team like crazy so they know they have the heart of KU fans and the 114 years of KU basketball before them. Best wishes to Manning (and Ballard) and Hinson as they spread the legacy of KU coaching. God bless everyone who loves this game.

Thekudude 2 years, 4 months ago

Well said! I second this comment! I also quoted Rocky during the game "is that all you got!"

XEPCT 2 years, 4 months ago

Rock Chalk for-ev-er ... great season guys ... good luck T-Rob and Tyshawn ... to the rest of the guys, see you next year!

Kylee Manahan 2 years, 4 months ago

Good luck to Connor and Jordon too!

Gregory Newman 2 years, 4 months ago

This hurts. I'm just waiting on the day when kansas guards shoot mid-range jumpers instead of forced drives that are not there and those stupid floaters. Mid-range jumpers is not a lost art? Its just not being taught. Kentucky shot mid-range.

Paul Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

??? Who cares about what Travis Ford does? Keaton Paige on the other hand needs to transfer as a Freshman to KU. He looks like a Little Rascal....think we could pull that off?

Alexander Smith 2 years, 4 months ago

I am not a JayHawk fan...but I give KU a KUDOS for a great run. You all did great and should be proud of what you all accomplished. You all had a great year.

Thekudude 2 years, 4 months ago

Awesome, Incredible, Unbelievable, Amazing Season. Tyshawn made himself a home in my heart after this season and that is sayin something. This team is the epitome of toughness. They just ran out of time in the end. Thanks for giving it your all...all season long. Unforgettable!

Armen Kurdian 2 years, 4 months ago

Kentucky played violent D in the first half, probably got away w/a couple of calls, but we had our chances in the 2nd half, and just couldn't capitalize on enough of them. What a fantastic run through the tourney when no one expected us to do anything. Some ridiculous wins this year for sure, lots of drama, this team has so much to be proud of. I'm very proud of them all. Would like to see T-Rob make an announcement really soon; didn't realize he was looking to take custody of his sister.

SeaBee 2 years, 4 months ago

Hold your heads up, Hawks.

Great season and great tournament run.

simplykristib 2 years, 4 months ago

Proud of the team! :) The team made it much farther than anyone predicted, :) KU won the Big XII regular season championship, appeared int eh Final Four, and is the national runner-up! All of that in a year that we were suppose to be rebuilding. :)

KU fans in Lawrence, I know it is hard... Let;s show how classy we can be in defeat. :) Everyone is watching and comparing us to UK.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

We're proud of you guys, don't forget that.

ForwardThinker 2 years, 4 months ago

How many other programs wish they could have "down" and "rebuilding" years like the one we just had? Rock Chalk Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

naturalist 2 years, 4 months ago

We are all so proud of this team and what they did. Love to them and best wishes for the futures of the guys who are heading out. It has been a thrill.

franklin55 2 years, 4 months ago

And there is the difference between KU and UK ... one is happy to finish second...one is never satisfied with less than first. Congrats on a nice season, Jayhawks.

like_n_Lawrence 2 years, 4 months ago

My bracket had you guys winning the national championship. I always believed, just like you did. You rocked it good this year guys. Thanks for an incredible year. I know this hurts right now, but if someone asked me if I would rather lose to MU in Allen Fieldhouse, the last conference game, for the conference title, or lose this game to an incredible UK team... Guess which one I would pick? I hate Missouri. You did us PROUD men! Thanks to Coach Self and staff also. You were brilliant during this run.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 4 months ago

This Kentucky team has to be considered one of the best team this century, so no shame in this loss.

Paul Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

Here's my issue. If we miss three's and lose like that....fine.
If we miss 15'ers all night and lose like that....fine. But for the love of god could someone teach these guys how to hit a 3'er? Clank, brick, clank, brick...Un Freakin' real. DUNK THE @$%#'N BALL!!! I'm sorry...I love these guys and bleed crimson and blue...but that game was ridiculous. We lost that game a heck of a lot more than UK won it. Getting past the 16 with these guys with no bench was sweet in itself and an unbelievable job by all.

kernal 2 years, 4 months ago

LOL, you are so transparent, Missouri!

CrimsonBlossom 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey, gotmylimitofjhawks, you see that light at the end of the SEC tunnel? That's a train, bearing down on Mizzou. It's hilarious that you think simply joining the SEC makes Mizzou an SEC-caliber school. It's also hilarious that you think KU fans are jealous of Mizzou, For what, exactly?

Oh, well...good luck and good riddance.

shotgun 2 years, 4 months ago

You sure seem to be unable to let go! It's OK breathe deeply, Missouri is gone. Now you can direct your hatred towards somewhere else! I'll bet they have Hillbillies and Meth in Kentucky! Man the state of Kansas is sooooo cosmopolitan!