Archive for Thursday, September 29, 2011

Solid Waste Task Force likely to propose city-issued recycling cart

September 29, 2011

Clear the way for the carts.

A city-appointed task force on Wednesday moved a step closer to making a recommendation that all single-family households in the city be required to have two city-issued, plastic, wheeled refuse carts — one for trash and one for curbside recycling.

But the group — which will make its recommendations to the City Commission, which will have the final say on the matter — generally agreed that whatever changes are made should be done in phases, in order to give residents time to adjust.

“We want the community to be a partner in this effort, not a victim of it,” said Mayor Aron Cromwell, who is chairman of the task force. “That’s the only way this is really going to work.”

The task force directed staff members to begin writing a draft chapter of a report that will recommend:

• Residents be required to place all trash in a city-issued plastic cart, rather than using traditional trash cans or bags. If residents had too much trash to fit into the container, they could buy stickers from the city that could be placed on bags that would be placed at the curb. The stickers, the price of which have not been determined, essentially would allow the city to collect more in fees from people who put out large amounts of trash.

“I think it would address some of the comments about why are people who set out a grocery-size bag of trash are paying the same amount as someone who sets out two or three cans worth of trash,” said Jeff Severin, a member of the task force.

• Residents receive a second plastic cart that would be used for curbside recycling. The task force isn’t considering any proposal where curbside recycling would be mandatory. So people would not be prohibited from throwing away items that could be recycled. But the task force is seriously considering a recommendation that curbside recycling be a part of everyone’s monthly bill, whether they use the service or not. Task force members said the issue of how much the service would cost likely would be the factor that determines whether the service should be added to everyone’s bill. The group hasn’t yet received any good estimates on how much a curbside recycling program would add to a monthly bill.

At Wednesday’s meeting, it became evident the group may not get those cost estimates before it makes its recommendations to the City Commission in early 2012. Instead, the task force said it likely will recommend that the City Commission take formal bids or request for proposals from private companies who are interested in running a citywide, curbside recycling program. The city then would examine those costs to determine whether it could do the service for a lesser cost or at a higher service level. The task force has shown no interest in taking bids from private companies to run the entire trash service. Task force members have been united that the city ought to continue to operate the service.

Also left unaddressed by the task force on Wednesday was the frequency of any new curbside recycling service. But Cromwell said he expects the task force ultimately will settle on recommending that curbside recycling be picked up once a week, just like the trash. He also said he expects the report will recommend that the current yard waste service be maintained at its current schedule, which is once a week for most of the year.

A cart would not be required for setting out yard waste. The report also will include a recommendation that the city create a system or a set number of days that residents can set out large items, such as mattresses or appliances, for little or no charge.

Comments

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

How do you consider the community a partner if you are forcing the issue? Not only are you forcing me store a cart I will never use, but pay for a service I will never use. That is every bit of being victimized. I already recycle at absolutely no charge to me. The fact that I take less trash to the curb saves you money considering that I now take my trash cart to the curb once a month and still pay the same landfill fee as a household with 4 carts to their curb twice a week. How will you explain that? Still charging the same landfill fee though less waste will actually end up there? The economy is crashing. This town is falling apart. Where are the task forces at to hold the city responsible for all the sprinklers I see wasting water on the streets instead of the high maintenance landscaping? Yet you are going to tax yourselves for utility usage just to pass the buck? The few people that have the cameras on them every Tuesday night are finding more and more ways to steal every last dime from the citizens of this town. Do they read the headlines? The median income in this town is what? The cost of living in this town? Yet you have found more ways to tax and add more fees to bills even after you were busted for the illegal fee on the water bills.

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

Did you go to any of the task force meeting? Did you volunteer to be on the task force? Did you make comments on their site? They were open to public input. Where were you?

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

Do you see who heads the task force? Do you see their motives? If the task force was open to suggestions or other options, the headline and story would be absolutely different. Thanks for your interrogation.

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

That's silly.

If you don't make your voice heard, and your wishes known, there's no way they can be part of the process.

If you do, it's possible they'll be ignored, but also possible they'll be considered.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

Why would someone need to speak on this issue? I'm pretty sure it's a given that no one in America wants their government mandating anything not related to the safety of our well being. If i truly believed this was about recycling and ways to accomplish it for the greater good, I would be offering my 2 cents. Because I know this is more smash and grab "funding" there really is no point but to put a target on my address. So that is the complaint..you want a solution? Charge more for additional cart rentals. As I stated the same family with 4 carts pays no more in landfill fees than the person that only puts out 1 cart, 1 time a month. Sure they pay $2 more for each cart....but they are sending more trash to the landfill. Up the rental fee to $10 and watch the money fly in. If nothing else you will encourage those creating so much trash to 1. cut back and/or 2. start recycling more.

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

I think your certainty is misplaced - many people are in favor of city wide mandatory recycling programs.

And, I agree that might be a good way to go as well.

But, again, I'm not the one you should be suggesting that to, since I'm not the one in charge of designing and implementing these programs.

It seems odd to me to complain about city decisions if you don't participate in the process we have to make your ideas/feelings known to them.

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

You could have been on the task force. Everyone who volunteered was allowed to be on it. Again, if you consider yourself a part of the community, try getting involved.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

"Task force members like the idea of carts because it will allow the city to buy more automated trucks that will rely less on crew members lifting and hauling heavy trash cans." = put people out of jobs = less economic growth and tax revenues.

Go with PAYT/Pay As You Throw and leave the recycling to the current recyclers. Why put people out of business? License the existing small business people.

Mr_W 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes Merril, let's put people back in the toll booths giving out tickets, let's have 10 cashiers instead of self check out, let's have people not machines make our cars, We are transforming into a knowledge worker dominated economy, if you want things to be like they were in the "good 'ol days" of industrial complex, then go start your own society with other old farts, luddites, and others who are resistant to technological evolution and efficiency. I am 100% positive that you engage in 1000's of activities/products/services every month that have been modernized by machines, and reduced the number of people required to staff them, yet I don't see you arguing for those to be converted back into more jobs. Don't talk to the talk unless your going to walk the walk.

cowboy 3 years, 10 months ago

This is a perfect example of the local village idiots taking a system that works extremely well and performing the equivalent of throwing sticks into bicycle spokes.

The trash service in lawrence is exceptional. It deals with the loads and the overloads without missing a neat.

The for profit recyclers provide a service to anyone who desires it at a reasonable cost.

Stickers , extra carts , special fees , this is heading towards a major mess.

Cromwell , if you need something to occupy your time ask this question to city folks , "Show me the water money "

esubrett 3 years, 10 months ago

Or a lot of illegal dumping in the country.

conservative 3 years, 10 months ago

I have no problems with mandating carts and making people use tags for extra bags. I have a major issue with a task force recommending the city require recycling with a mandated charge when they have NO idea what that charge will be. There is already a service in town that does recycling for 4.95 a month and the city has said they can't do it for that cost, there are also free recycling opportunities. Make the charge for extra bags high enough and people will recycle. Also the city has proven they can't manage the trash service as theycontinually run in the red, why exactly are they not at least getting private contractor bids?

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

The 4.95 won't last long. They are a foreign owned company. They don't take all recyclables.

madameX 3 years, 10 months ago

"Make the charge for extra bags high enough and people will recycle."

Agree. And if they don't then maybe we can talk about some kind of mandatory curbside service, but let's see what happens first.

justtired 3 years, 10 months ago

for someone who doesnt have a clue, the trash dept. does not run in the red considering that part of its revenue is put into the city budget to support the other services in the city that do not make money. and the article said it would recomend and seek bids for the cost. get your info right before you talk

irvan moore 3 years, 10 months ago

if you liked quantrell ya gotta love cromwell

parrothead8 3 years, 10 months ago

Dear City Commission,

I'd like to know when to expect the check for what I originally paid for my perfectly good trash can. You know, that money that I spent at a local business? So that I could have a trash can that would fit in my tiny garage? My tiny garage that I won't be able to fit one of your stupid carts inside? The stupid cart that you're going to make mandatory and then charge me for?

Yeah, that check.

Sincerely,

Someone who will vote against anyone who votes for this policy

NewbieGardener 3 years, 10 months ago

The task force's suggestions are excellent. The phased plan to move toward PAYT (Pay As You Throw) will give residents an incentive to throw away more trash and promote recycling.

Also, I don't think the task force is trying to force anyone out of business. Sunflower Recycling has already recommended that the City take over recycling since mandatory recycling is the only way to get most residents to try it out (the Solid Waste Division has reported few gains in recycling averages over the years). Further, Kansas City-owned Deffenbaugh is charging $4.95 a month on a temporary, promotional basis. That number will go up soon as it has in other communities in and around KC.

NewbieGardener 3 years, 10 months ago

Correction above: *throw away less trash, not more.

beerbaron03 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm glad you're ok with the government telling you how to live your life. Have you ever read the Constitution? I have.

I for one will start burning my recyclables in my front yard as a display of revolt. I hope others join me. Don't tread on me.

madameX 3 years, 10 months ago

Really? You're going to burn glass and metal?

And plastic? That'll smell great! I'm sure your neighbors will love it.

beerbaron03 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, and I'm going to fly my American flag proudly as I do it.

The new recycle bin will make a good fire pit to burn all of this trash, er, "recyclables".

beerbaron03 3 years, 10 months ago

Good point. I'll throw all of my non-meltable trash in your back yard so that you can recycle it. Now who's the moron?

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

Still you, I'd say.

Now you're going to be charged for that - I don't know the exact ordinance, but I'm sure it's illegal.

So, you'll be paying for recycling, which you won't use, and instead you'll be upsetting your neighbors by burning trash illegally, and/or dumping it in their yards.

And, when you're charged for those offenses, you'll have to pay various fines and fees, at least.

Meanwhile, you've also been paying for curbside recycling and never using it.

What's the point again?

beerbaron03 3 years, 10 months ago

because i'm not going to bend over and take it from the man like you are.

check. mate.

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

Ok.

If you think you're winning something by paying for a service you don't use, alienating your neighbors, breaking a variety of city regulations, and paying fines and court costs for doing so, I think you're quite mistaken.

Maybe you should consider drinking less beer?

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

Good.

I'm sure the charges for illegal burning will be something you'll gladly pay, even if they're more than the recycling charges.

Hmmm.

madameX 3 years, 10 months ago

I repeat: You're going to burn the glass and metal? Really? Think carefully about the physical properties of these substances...

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 10 months ago

"mandatory recycling is the only way to get most residents to try it out"

Nice non-sequitur. This statement sums up the logic (such as it is) behind these pseudo progressive plans,

bread8 3 years, 10 months ago

I presume the task force is talking about single-stream recycling - not sorted. Do any companies currently active in Lawrence offer single-stream, curbside recycling? What materials are included in this? Plastic, glass, paper, aluminum? More? If so, where do they send it to be sorted? How much of the cost is tied to hauling trash and recycling long distance?

What do the existing haulers say about these ideas? Are they going to lobby heavily for the status quo - are they already?

In addition to yard waste pick up, would there be any bulk waste service, perhaps once or twice a year to cut down on illegal dumping (or is that even a significant problem here)?

gatekeeper 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, Deffenbaugh doesn't make you sort and takes everything but glass and plastic bags. They only charge $5/month. It's been a great service and I'll be pissed if I have to give it up because the city wants in on the business. I should be able to decide who I recycle with. If Deffenbaugh decided to raise their rates, I would go back to hauling it to Walmart every couple of weeks when I run errands in that part of town.

They haven't said what they're going to do with the money they make of the recycling. They'll charge us for the service and make money off the materials. My work sells our paper, cardboard and plastic and makes a ton off it. Paid of the cost of a bailer and the carts we needed in just a couple of months.

tententen 3 years, 10 months ago

"If residents had too much trash to fit into the container, they could buy stickers from the city that could be placed on bags that would be placed at the curb......essentially would allow the city to collect more in fees from people who put out large amounts of trash."

They'll fill their recycling containers with solid waste materials instead of paying for a ticket. That's what's done here anyways.

James Roper 3 years, 10 months ago

This is a very good idea, and well past due. I've lived in communities that practice this sort of recycling and it's amazing how little actual "trash" is produced in a given week. Assuming that all metal, paper, glass and most plastic can go into the recycle bin, trash volume is greatly reduced. And fewer toxins going into the water table, don't forget.

And if you recycle now, count the costs of your time and (likely) gasoline consumed to make the effort. And if you use a private company, consider keeping your dollars in the city, and that the $4.95 you pay is a Netflix-like fee ploy.

I'm stoked about this, and I'm guessing that the people who aren't excited about this now haven't experienced service like this and will have totally forgotten their issues once they realize the absolute convenience of the service, along with the environmental benefit. It's a proper good thing to do, City of Lawrence!

KansasPerson 3 years, 10 months ago

"And if you use a private company, consider keeping your dollars in the city, and that the $4.95 you pay is a Netflix-like fee ploy."

Incorrect assumptions here. There are more options for private-company recycling in Lawrence than the one service you aren't naming. For example, we are using a local company (keeping our dollars in the city) and therefore are not dealing with any "Netflix-like fee ploy."

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

Some of the people that do not like this are the people that are already getting off their bums and taking their recycling to FREE outlets. They also don't appreciate being FORCED into what should be an OPTION. This is not a progressive, save the environment concept here. This is clearly another "just how can the city make more money" ploy. They couldn't get away with just bumping up our current waste bill 5 bucks so this is the next best thing.

lunacydetector 3 years, 10 months ago

mayor cromwell needs his head examined, and any other commissioners who support this measure. it is all about control and more financial burdens lumped onto the taxpayers. so much for living in a free society anymore. i will be the first to move out of this gulag called lawrence throwing my garbage as i leave.

lunacydetector 3 years, 10 months ago

a typical response from a narrow minded drip.

madameX 3 years, 10 months ago

Can you post contact information for the task force, LJ World? Or find out if people who already use a curbside recycling service can be exempted from this, since were already doing what they're trying to make us do? IMO, since there are already plenty of recycling options in Lawrence the city should maybe (maybe!) go as far as limiting the amount of trash each household can throw out, create an incentive for people who don't want to pay extra to take their recyclables in for free and see if that helps. Baby steps.

Also, I believe that the $4.95 service that everyone on here is referring to is Deffenbaugh, which I am pretty sure does not take glass.

Seth Hanes 3 years, 10 months ago

Your are correct Deffenbaugh doesn't take glass or styrofoam or plastic bags or shredded paper

Richard Ballard 3 years, 10 months ago

So, I gotta get rid of my lawn mower to make room in the garage for two huge trash bins I don't need?

Or keep the lawn mower and clutter up the front of the house by leaving them in the driveway 24/7 like the neighbors?

Been getting by quite nicely with one 33 gal can and an occasional extra bag each week for 40 years.

rc

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 10 months ago

Many are like me , i have maybe 1/2 bag per week of trash, recycle in close by so no problem with that, besides where do you put """2 ROLL CARTS""?? city going to build me a little shed to store these monsters in?? don't think so, come up with a better solution to this issue, lots of single people in this town MR CITY FATHERS-------

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

Why do you have to store it in a shed? We have one of the city's bins, and it sits next to our garage. We hardly know it's there. If you live in a neighborhood with covenants, then it might be a problem, but I think the city's rules would override that sort of thing.

chzypoof1 3 years, 10 months ago

I, as many above, are SUPER stoked about this mandated policy. This is definitely not something you should let the people decide. This is why we elect these officials, is to have them force policies supported by the minority, on the majority. Such as the Library. I for one am VERY thankful that this will put many people out of jobs, with the new automated trucks, in the name of the "green" movement.

I can only hope that with the money saved, we can have the honorable Al Gore come bless the new trucks, and help those unemployed find new "green" jobs.

Mandatory government regulation is ALWAYS better than people's choice. Get with it!!!

poof

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

If the majority didn't want the library project approved, all they had to do was vote against it.

Hmm.

NewbieGardener 3 years, 10 months ago

chzypoof1: $100 bet that the actual residents of Lawrence would support a mandatory recycling initiative. You are assuming that everyone here thinks like you do and that you are representative of the populist movement. Conservative commenters on LJWorld...you are and never will represent this city. You can rant all you want, but the people elect progressive officials for a reason. Also, the conservative movement used to espouse protecting the environment. It's sad that politicians like Theodore Roosevelt would be branded as liberals by the modern GOP.

chzypoof1 3 years, 10 months ago

You are right. I am surrounded by people that have to make EVERY discussion into a political debate. I am NOT a Repub or a Dem. I am for liberty. Neither of those parties is. I am for choice, which this mandatory program would not provide.

Also, are you implying that i'm NOT a resident of Lawrence? I pay taxes just like you do in this town. That doesn't mean that I give in every time our great commission decides to take more of my hard earned money. If you want to make these things Optional, I'm all for it. I'm for making the environment better, but by Choice, not by mandate.

While we are making assumptions, I'm sure you support carbon taxes to save the planet too, right? It's too bad that even NASA has proved, scientifically, that CO2 is not being trapped at the rate that Al told us it was.

I love Lawrence, I just don't love the assuming, "progressive" people such as yourself that are willing to give away all of your money/liberties to feel good about yourself.

poof

NewbieGardener 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm not sure why you think people naturally opt toward helping the environment. You probably have a more optimistic view of humanity than I do. I'm just looking at the statistics of recycling among small cities in the U.S...if you agree that recycling is a positive thing, and it's true that recycling rates increase when the program is mandatory, why not make it a mandate? Is the freedom to throw away trash in the way you want really a human liberty? It seems more like a bad habit. It's not a manifest destiny.

Also, in answer to your question, I do support carbon taxes and a higher gas tax. 98% of climate scientists in the world believe climate change is occurring at an unprecedented rate. Do you really think there is some grand conspiracy at play?

Sharon Nottingham 3 years, 10 months ago

Stickers, really? This idea is SO California, which charges about $6.25 per sticker. Let's see, from an environmental standpoint, how many stickers are we adding to the landfill? How much pollution goes in to making these stickers (trees, chemicals, processing, ink, printing process, die-cutting, electricity, delivery, packaging, etc.) And for how many residents?! The weight of the stickers will also add more refuse to our landfills. A little adds up to a lot in the long run. STUPID IDEA.

gatekeeper 3 years, 10 months ago

Really?? Yeah, stickers are going to fill up the landfill. Guess what? These stickers could be made from recycled paper and soy based inks. Limiting the amount of trash I'm sure would save more than what stickers would cost.

newtongirl 3 years, 10 months ago

I would pay for a good recycling program.

However, the current bin-based recycling program does not take glass and is therefore sub-par to the bin-based program I paid for in Colorado Springs (a mostly conservative city, by the way). It cost about $6 per month and we saved that amount in trash bags, so it paid for itself. They took everything but styrofoam and plastic grocery bags. They gave rewards points based on the weight of the bin at pickup. Those rewards points could be traded in for gift certificates. We got $10 grocery gift cards about once per year - not much but still something. It was not mandatory.

That's the kind of standard the residents here should know about and the standard that the City of Lawrence should shoot for if they undertake a recycling program. They must take glass and it must cost less than $10/month, otherwise it's unacceptable.

I don't think it should be mandatory.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 10 months ago

The city continues to compete, using tax dollars, with private companies who actually pay taxes into the system and wonder why the tax base is getting smaller. The city has no business in the trash business. Imagine how much money they would save if they cut the whole department and support facilities and staff.

Jeremiah Jefferson 3 years, 10 months ago

55 GALLON STEEL DRUM AND A BOX OF MATCHES SUITS ME JUST FINE. YOU CAN SHOVE YOUR MANDATORY CARTS WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE

dogsandcats 3 years, 10 months ago

Will recycling carts be offered at apartment complexes as well?

Sharon Nottingham 3 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps we all should just dump our bags on the steps of City Hall. . .because this idea is garbage.

irvan moore 3 years, 10 months ago

i would be willing to pay extra to recycle the morons at city hall

Liberty275 3 years, 10 months ago

LOL. You're going to make me pay for two garbage cans so I can throw three big plastic cans in the dumpster at work. Wonderful. As for recycling, unless you pay me for the recycled material I won't do it until the city writes a new statute to force me too. Recycling is a joke unless someone is willing to buy the material and then make a profit by reusing it.

More intrusive government. Whooda thunk it.

Pastor_Bedtime 3 years, 10 months ago

Get ready for piles of abandonded garbage and furniture in our alleys, neighborhoods and streets.

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

Other communities who have gone to this system did not see an increase in illegal dumping.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

I see some future commissioners posting here. It mystifies me how those that are for the recycling concept, automatically think those against this...are purely against recycling. It is the concept that we are forced to 1. babysit city property. (which by the way will cost how much to produce and deliver? so you recoup those costs in how much time?) 2. pay for a service we can not opt in or out of. This town is one of the most forward thinking of many. I am sure recycling shouldn't even be in the top 10 issues to be addressed here. But then again this isn't about recycling, it is about stashing more cash.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 10 months ago

How much will they charge Merrill to keep recycling posts from around the web?

mlinkjinoz 3 years, 10 months ago

City government can not require or mandate that we buy, rent or have a additional fee for two city-issued, plastic, wheeled refuse carts — one for trash and one for curbside recycling. Just like the federal government can not force us to buy insurance. The citizens are getting fed up with special tax districts for wealthy corporations/individuals, increased taxes and fees, etc. More and more people are discussing moving from Lawrence so let's see how much revenue they have in 5 years.

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

I think you are most likely mistaken about that.

The restrictions on the federal government are quite different from those regarding state and local governments.

It's clear that the founders intended to limit the power of the federal government, but it's also clear they intended for states to have wide latitude and power. There was even a spirited debate about whether the Bill of Rights should apply to state governments.

Cities and states have a wide variety of regulations and ordinances - I'm not aware of any Supreme Court decisions overturning those - are you?

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

Do you know how much you spend per month on electricity? How about your gas utility? The person who pays the bills in your household probably has a pretty good idea. But do you know how much you spend on garbage?

Each time your city or town sends a truck down your street to pick up your waste, it costs money. It costs money even if you drop your trash off at a local dump. Ultimately, you pay for this service, usually through your local taxes. And it's not likely that you have much control over the amount you pay, regardless of how much garbage you create.

There is a different system, however, under which residents are asked to pay for waste collection directly-based on the amount of garbage they actually generate. They're called "pay-as-you-throw" (PAYT) programs, and nearly 6,000 communities across the country have begun using them.

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

merrill, don't you know that a lot of posters on this forum want everything done for them for free.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

What is pay-as-you-throw? PAYT is a different way of paying for waste collection and disposal services. In some communities, it works on a per-container basis: households are charged for each bag or can of waste they generate. A few communities bill residents based on the weight of their trash. Either way, the system motivates people to recycle more and to think about ways to generate less waste in the first place.

For community residents, however, the most important advantage may be the fairness and greater control over costs that it offers. Do you have neighbors that never seem to recycle and always leave out six or seven bags of trash? While you may not have thought about it, right now you're helping them pay for that waste. Under PAYT, everyone pays only for what they generate-so you won't have to subsidize your neighbor's wastefulness any more. It's only fair. With PAYT, when you recycle and prevent waste, you're rewarded with a lower trash bill. Save As You Reduce and Recycle

Because of these potential cost savings, both you and your neighbors will naturally want to reduce the amount of waste that you generate. And when you reduce waste, that can mean lower costs for your community, since it costs less to collect and dispose of everyone's trash. This might even free up funding for other municipal services you depend upon-like schools and fire and police protection.

In addition, the incentive to put less waste at the curb can make a big environmental difference. When people generate less waste and recycle more, fewer natural resources are used and there is less pollution from manufacturing. Valuable landfill space is conserved as well, reducing the need to site new facilities.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 10 months ago

Cool, I will dump my trash at your place.

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

PAYT works only for folks who are budget minded. Many middle and upper middle class folks will forego recycling because the added cost does not mitigate the convenience of not recycling.

cummingshawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Mandated refuse carts you say? Is the city providing the carts or is there a monthly fee? If there is a fee, after the consumer has paid for the city mandated cart is the fee dropped?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 10 months ago

The city should put one of those glossy sheets in everyone water bill to be sent back with the bill with there vote on whether this is desired or not.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 10 months ago

Now we can hire trannys to pick up the recycles!

melott 3 years, 10 months ago

Let me add my 2 cents. I am all in favor of recycling. This idea sounds like a major mess. We have an excellent trash service and many opportunties for low-cost or free (except for the gas to drive there) recycling. I think this mess is being proposed to allow some people (D_) to get a profit. After all, isn't the city goal to transfer money from citizens to independent contractors whom they never supervise?

Why don't they work on something that needs fixing, like the roads.

Another crack opened this week on my street, paved in 2010.

George Lippencott 3 years, 10 months ago

"mandatory recycling is the only way to get most residents to try it out"

Moderate Opines: It is only partially mandatory on property owners - the bin (if I understand the proposal) and not at all on renters – the majority here in Lawrence.

Other than making me store another city bin exactly what does this proposal do for me (a property owner) and for the city - we can claim we recycle more - maybe.??

If we have to do something I guess this is the least painful approach as my recycling costs will probably drop - but the small company providing me this service will be put out of business.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

I am glad they are finally going to go city wide curbside collection for recyclables. It is the right direction for us to go. The landfill is no place for material we can use in manufacturing and the landfill cost will rise. We need to go back to not trashing everything we touch. If our newspapers and cardboard boxes can be made into new products, better than expensive burial. We send millions of aluminum cans to the landfill in Jefferson county. Sick of the waste.

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

Why would this only apply to single family households?

That seems like a major gap in the idea to me.

By the way, you may not know it, but we're all paying for yard waste collection/composting already, in our monthly water etc. bill, even if we don't use it much. Our household is much more likely to use the recycling service - couldn't there be a way to combine them without charging more?

For example, they could collect yard waste and recycling 2x/month, alternating them.

Seth Hanes 3 years, 10 months ago

I think this is a good idea except making it mandatory to recycle. I shouldn't have to pay the same amount of money for the little trash that I put out as my neijbor who throws out everything and always has 4 or 5 trash bins. I also don't like the idea of mandating that we use a city owned can for trash but a recycling can is a good idea so that city workers wouldn't get confused on what bin is recycling material and what is trash. Also I think that grocery stores, etc. should do away with plastic bags and go with paper bags. In Michigan and other states they charge individuals a deposit on plastic bottles, metal pop and beer cans, and glass bottles. The deposit is then returned when the individual returns that can or plastic bottle or glass bottle. If an individual fails to return that can or plastic bottle or glass bottle then the government is essentially making a profit. I would like to see Kansas add this deposit.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 10 months ago

---1. yaaaay! another excuse to increase my bill
I love how the loonie leftists claim to have the corner on compassion, but they so happily and smilingly want to take more of my money. and, no, I am not a rich republican.
they claim to care most for the "poor" while they love to think of ways to make the poor poorer. thanks a bunch.

-2. so, at least now, I'm forced to accept a second cart, after the first one I'm forced to accept, but I'm not forced (at least not now) to use it? does that mean I can sell it to defray the increased cost on my bill? bet not. probably be charged with a person felony, lol!

-3. forced to accept the second cart, what a waste (pun intended) of resources.

-4. glad they're not looking at privitizing waste services.