Archive for Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lawrence man taken to hospital after rollover accident on U.S. Highway 40 near Douglas-Shawnee county line

September 29, 2011, 3:31 p.m. Updated September 29, 2011, 10:35 p.m.

A 71-year-old Lawrence man was injured after a one-vehicle rollover accident Thursday afternoon on U.S. Highway 40 about two miles east of the Shawnee County line and 10 miles west of Lawrence.

The crash was reported at 3:10 p.m. at a curve in the highway near East 200 Road. According to the Kansas Highway Patrol, Donald Wayne Collins was headed east on U.S. 40 in a 1990 Lexus when the car left the road and entered the south shoulder.

Collins over-corrected the vehicle, which caused it to drive across both lanes and enter the north ditch, where the car rolled over and came to rest on its wheels.

Collins, who was wearing a seat belt, was taken by ambulance to a Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka, where he was listed in fair condition Thursday night.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

This could very easily be wrong - but when I was a sophomore at K.U. highway 40 was claimed to have the highest accident rate per mile of any highway in Kansas. Whether or not that was true, it was nicknamed "Suicide Road'. From the news reports in the last few weeks, it does appears to be true that highway 40 is very dangerous.

I slid on the ice and nearly died on it myself one time. And what a coincidence, that happened right on the Douglas-Shawnee county line also.

The tragedy is that there is a highway that is so much safer almost alongside it - I-70, the turnpike. Is saving 85 cents really worth the risk, if you can avoid it?

kef104 3 years, 2 months ago

Ron, You are quoting accident rates without doing your research first. Is this purely an opinion you created to foster your support for a toll road? FYI all: Ron accused me of not doing research and spouting opinion in the name of fact just a couple of days ago. I am not going to call you a hypocrite Ron, just try to be nicer to others when you disagree with them.

Personally, I never take I-70 as it is boring and saves little, if any, time. I have been driving old-40 since the 70's and have never heard it called Suicide Road. I have heard it described as a bit of a roller coaster though. Most people I know who drive it do so because they enjoy driving and tend to have vehicles that are well maintained with stiff suspensions, quality brakes, and really good tires. Never underestimate the benefits of being able to stop quickly and having your car stay level through the turns. I almost always opt for 2 lane roads over interstate when it is even close to feasible in terms of time and distance traveled.

If the roads are icy, stay home if possible. If it is not possible, then take I-70 as Ron is correct, it is safer, especially in winter/blizzard conditions.

Kris_H 3 years, 2 months ago

This time of year when the road is perfectly clear, and this time of day when the sun in the eyes should not have been a factor, there is one major cause I can think of--excessive speed. I like to drive 40 from Topeka to Lawrence and back, 6th Street to 6th Street, especially since the recent work on it. Also, it's fun (except when you get stuck behind a farm truck). Way better scenery than the turnpike.

And, since it is fun, people do drive too fast on it sometimes. Could be someone overestimated their abilities, or those of their vehicle.

Hope they recover well.

henry5555 3 years, 2 months ago

Yea...I drove it every morning for about 5 years. Many folks crossed center line on me. Lots of close calls. The cop that went to this call today passed me on K10 on the way to the wreck. He was doing at least 100 MPH. Surprised?????

jackpot 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey oletimer remember the good old days when you could drive a car without the help of a cell phone? How did we do it?

John Hamm 3 years, 2 months ago

And, as usual, the people here comment about the safety of the highway(s) and cell phones whilst ignoring this plain simple statement from the news article, "the car left the road and entered the south shoulder. Collins over-corrected the vehicle," Nuff said about the commenters here.

Kris_H 3 years, 2 months ago

Oonly, that information wasn't in the original article. There were no details at all when I first read it this afternoon.

It still could have been excessive speed, at least excessive for that curve and the skill of the driver. In my experience people generally ignore the speed limit on Hwy 40. Sounds like he's probably OK, and I'm glad for that.