Archive for Sunday, September 25, 2011

Motorcyclist and passenger taken to hospital after leaving roadway six miles northwest of Lawrence

September 25, 2011

A motorcyclist and his passenger were transported to Stormont Vail hospital after leaving the roadway on U.S. Highway 24 just after 4:30 p.m. Sunday, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol. One of the occupants was transported via air ambulance, though information on whether it was the driver or passenger was not available.

Robert D. Rhoads Jr., Topeka, and his passenger, Kristina H. Rhoads, Perry, were traveling westbound on the highway six miles northwest of Lawrence around a curve at Phillips Road when their 1999 Harley Davidson motorcycle went off the shoulder and entered a culvert, where it came to rest. The accident took place in Jefferson County. According to the KHP report, neither was wearing a helmet.

A condition update was unavailable late Sunday night.

Comments

consumer1 3 years, 7 months ago

So, LJW, do you report every car accident that happens? or do Motorcyle accidents sell more papers? Or is there some sort of personal agenda going on?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

From: http://police.lawrenceks.org/content/2-months-LKPD-accidents?sort=asc&order=Case+Number

"553 Accidents were reported in Lawrence, Kansas, during the last two months."

There is no possible way that they could all be covered in the newspaper unless a separate section was provided for them. Also, that number of 553 accidents within the last two months covers only accidents that occurred within the city limits, so this one would not be counted at all in that statistic.

It is very unfortunate that the only thing any of us can do about it is to try to drive more carefully, for passengers to wear their seat belts, and for motorcyclists to wear as much protective gear as possible.

nnelson 3 years, 7 months ago

Hi consumer1,

We do report on all accidents resulting injuries that are considered critical, no matter the type of vehicles involved. Any accident requiring a life flight normally means critical injuries, so we do report on all of those in the area.

Nick Nelson LJWorld.com reporter

DennisAnderson 3 years, 7 months ago

Hi Consumer 1. Our audience is interested in knowing about accidents for a number of reasons. First being wanting to know what happened when they hear sirens or see a road blocked by emergency vehicles. They also want to know the medical condition of those involved in accidents as well as how an accident will affect their commute. Regards. Dennis Anderson Managing Editor

Richard Heckler 3 years, 7 months ago

It could be there are more owners of motorcycles than in the past. Some see it as a means to reduce consumption of expensive gasoline.

Then again two wheel transportation is more exciting.

Too bad this excursion didn't go so well for this couple. Hope all ends well.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

For me, it is very true that riding a motorcycle is a lot more fun than driving a car because I am so much more immersed in the driving experience and the world about me. My big problem with riding a motorcycle here in town or on some of the highways around here is that I have no fear at all when riding one, so I know better than to even consider purchasing one while I am living in a city environment.

When I was young I lived in a very small town, and almost all of my riding was out in the country on dirt roads or out in the dirt, that is, riding cross country through the pastures with no trails or other traffic at all, so it wasn't very dangerous. That was a lot of fun, and I discovered a lot of things way out in the country in western Kansas that I could never have seen if I had only driven a car.

Plus I never went very fast, never more than 65 miles per hour, because the dirt bikes that I rode were geared so low that going faster than that was not possible. Those two bikes sure were very good at climbing hills, though! Between my brother and I, we wore out two of them.

It is very different for motorcyclists here in town, so I try to keep a very close eye on every one I see, as well as bicyclists. I want to never be responsible for someone's injuries if there is any possible way I can avoid it. So far I've been successful, and I certainly intend to remain so.