Archive for Saturday, September 24, 2011

Penny’s Concrete truck overturns at 31st and Iowa streets

September 24, 2011

A Penny's Concrete truck was overturned about 7:30 a.m. today at 31st and Iowa streets. The one-vehicle accident happened in the westbound lane of 31st Street.

There was an ambulance at the scene, but no one was transported.

A Penny's Concrete truck was overturned near 31st and Iowa streets about 7:30 a.m. today.

Comments

Rick Aldrich 3 years, 2 months ago

I drove by about 7:15 and some by standers were helping the driver set down on the curb. Looks like he was carrying to much speed into the corner and rolled it onto its side.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

This may not necessarily be speed related. Depending on how much water is added to the mix (some customers/contractors order a "drier" mix for various reasons) the drum may have had a high center of gravity going into the turn, due to clinging to the inside as the drum spins. Hope the driver is okay, and thankful no one else was hurt.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

Well I replied in the picture comment, but I'll mention it here too.

Yes and No.

The truck probably had a high center of gravity, but the driver should have known that and drove accordingly. So if he turned and the truck turned over, he probably was going too fast.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes and No. You're right, depending on the driver's level of experience. Any time you deal with hauling fluids or fluid like materials they can surprise you when a sudden shift in your driving changes the position of the load. I once had a pallet collapse under a 16,000 casting while turning right from 15th and Iowa. I had started from two car lengths back from the intersection from a dead stop. Shifted into second and started around the corner when it dropped. If there had been traffic coming from the north I would not have had room to straighten the tractor and bring the trailer back down on it's wheels. In 1.5+ million miles I have driven about every truck and tractor/trailer combo there is, including ready-mix concrete. Without accidents.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

I used to drive a tanker truck (not a tractor-trailer, so quite similar to these concrete trucks). It was always much easier to load the tank completely full with fertilizer or water rather than a partial load. Any turn would get that water moving one way or another making the drive rather nerve-racking.

We did have a guy tip over a dry trailer of fertilizer once. Went too fast around the corner and kept on the brakes. Tipped right off the road into the ditch.

sherbert 3 years, 2 months ago

Seems like these trucks turn over a lot. Wasn't there one on Princeton a couple years ago, then one recently on Hwy 10. Dangerous.

Eugehne Normandin 3 years, 2 months ago

this may not be speed related Maybe the wind caused the the truck to flip

LogicMan 3 years, 2 months ago

Nooooo .. far too heavy. If not a low or blown-out tire, or avoiding a car that cut them off, then excess speed is almost assured. These things are very top heavy.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 2 months ago

Except there was not much wind to speak of today. I don't think a concrete truck could be turned over by a light breeze.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

I sure hoped you weren't serious. But yeah, you need to work on your sarcasm.

patkindle 3 years, 2 months ago

it amuses me that so many people who have never gotten their hands dirty, or worked up a sweat are such experts in the trucking and concrete industry , if you ever drove a concrete truck (and i have) you understand what happened, it sure wasnt the wind, ha ha

LivedinLawrence4Life 3 years, 2 months ago

The important thing is to hope nobody was hurt. Perhaps since nobody was transported that means the driver is ok.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

It's not that those replying are dumb, it's that we know there are actually people out there who are dumb enough to actually think the wind could do this.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

I read about some semi trucks that were tipped over by the wind. But, there was a tornado passing by at the time.

Rick Aldrich 3 years, 2 months ago

Well I've seen about 30 concrete trucks going around that corner since the accident. And guess what? They haven't turned over. So the truck had to be going to fast to safely make the corner. No I've never driven a cement truck however I am a rocket scientist.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

I've always said what a truck driver doesn't know he at least has an opinion on. 'Cept around here it's over educated janitors and lawn care professionals. Oh, and rocket scientists.

;-)

riverdrifter 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you RoeD: I don't think there's any concrete evidence to cement a case against the driver for going too fast.

Just sayin'.

LivedinLawrence4Life 3 years, 2 months ago

They must be getting Kasold on the curve done. I can't wait to see that all done in concrete. That will be much nicer than before!

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

That's a lotta miles, Roedy. Myself, I figure it's 45 years at, say, 20,000 miles per year, so 900,000 total. 'Course virtually all that's in the fambly sedan & such. Haven't crashed one since high school. Never did get a feel for the big stuff. You don't want me backin' your boat down the ramp either. On this here deal it sounds like top heavy is a given & speed is the debatable issue. Interesting.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

rockchalker52 - For the last eight years of my driving career I drove these for the CF company shown. Many times I would "rodeo", hooking doubles and occasionally triples together by "backing the rope", (hooking first the front box, then backing in to the next unit until all 3 or 5 hooked).

Might have broke 2 million miles if I hadn't got off the street.

puddleglum 3 years, 2 months ago

Corn Flakes? were you there for their cute labor day announcement?

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Nope! I retired in '01 before the shut down.

Rick Aldrich 3 years, 2 months ago

Ok so i'm changing my opinion then, i believe it was driver error :)

Kat Christian 3 years, 2 months ago

DUH no surprise to me - those driver's drive like maniacs. I've called and complained about this before. They drive through the neighborhood near their yard way too fast for that size of truck and I've seen them elsewhere doing the same thing. So this was an accident waiting to happen. Maybe now authorities will pay attention to the problem and do something about it. Glad the person driving wasn't hurt but I hope this was a lesson to him to slow down and be more cautious.

UfoPilot 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure he will remember being fired.