Archive for Saturday, September 24, 2011

Penny’s Concrete truck overturns at 31st and Iowa streets

September 24, 2011

A Penny's Concrete truck was overturned about 7:30 a.m. today at 31st and Iowa streets. The one-vehicle accident happened in the westbound lane of 31st Street.

There was an ambulance at the scene, but no one was transported.

A Penny's Concrete truck was overturned near 31st and Iowa streets about 7:30 a.m. today.

Comments

UfoPilot 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure he will remember being fired.

Kat Christian 2 years, 6 months ago

DUH no surprise to me - those driver's drive like maniacs. I've called and complained about this before. They drive through the neighborhood near their yard way too fast for that size of truck and I've seen them elsewhere doing the same thing. So this was an accident waiting to happen. Maybe now authorities will pay attention to the problem and do something about it. Glad the person driving wasn't hurt but I hope this was a lesson to him to slow down and be more cautious.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 6 months ago

Ok so i'm changing my opinion then, i believe it was driver error :)

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

rockchalker52 - For the last eight years of my driving career I drove these for the CF company shown. Many times I would "rodeo", hooking doubles and occasionally triples together by "backing the rope", (hooking first the front box, then backing in to the next unit until all 3 or 5 hooked).

Might have broke 2 million miles if I hadn't got off the street.

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

That's a lotta miles, Roedy. Myself, I figure it's 45 years at, say, 20,000 miles per year, so 900,000 total. 'Course virtually all that's in the fambly sedan & such. Haven't crashed one since high school. Never did get a feel for the big stuff. You don't want me backin' your boat down the ramp either. On this here deal it sounds like top heavy is a given & speed is the debatable issue. Interesting.

LivedinLawrence4Life 2 years, 6 months ago

They must be getting Kasold on the curve done. I can't wait to see that all done in concrete. That will be much nicer than before!

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 6 months ago

Well I've seen about 30 concrete trucks going around that corner since the accident. And guess what? They haven't turned over. So the truck had to be going to fast to safely make the corner. No I've never driven a cement truck however I am a rocket scientist.

Keith Richards 2 years, 6 months ago

The wind comment was sarcasm everyone! Are you really that dumb?

LivedinLawrence4Life 2 years, 6 months ago

The important thing is to hope nobody was hurt. Perhaps since nobody was transported that means the driver is ok.

patkindle 2 years, 6 months ago

it amuses me that so many people who have never gotten their hands dirty, or worked up a sweat are such experts in the trucking and concrete industry , if you ever drove a concrete truck (and i have) you understand what happened, it sure wasnt the wind, ha ha

swampyankee 2 years, 6 months ago

LogicMan does not get my sarcasm

swampyankee 2 years, 6 months ago

this may not be speed related Maybe the wind caused the the truck to flip

sherbert 2 years, 6 months ago

Seems like these trucks turn over a lot. Wasn't there one on Princeton a couple years ago, then one recently on Hwy 10. Dangerous.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

This may not necessarily be speed related. Depending on how much water is added to the mix (some customers/contractors order a "drier" mix for various reasons) the drum may have had a high center of gravity going into the turn, due to clinging to the inside as the drum spins. Hope the driver is okay, and thankful no one else was hurt.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 6 months ago

I drove by about 7:15 and some by standers were helping the driver set down on the curb. Looks like he was carrying to much speed into the corner and rolled it onto its side.