Archive for Thursday, September 22, 2011

Former Eudora police officer accused of battery on cab driver on way to The Outhouse applies for diversion

September 22, 2011

A former Eudora police officer who is accused of putting a cab driver in a headlock in August has applied for diversion in his misdemeanor case, his attorney said Thursday.

Trey Meyer, an attorney for Thomas Clinton Leahew, 29, asked Douglas County District Judge Paula Martin on Thursday to give prosecutors more time to review Leahew’s diversion application.

He faces one misdemeanor count of battery. Douglas County Sheriff’s officers arrested him at 5 a.m. Aug. 7 in the 1800 section of North 1500 Road on suspicion of battery.

In an interview with the Journal-World, the alleged victim, a 35-year-old woman, accused Leahew of lunging at her from the back of a van while she was driving Leahew and six other people to The Outhouse, 1837 N. 1500 Road. The woman said he grabbed her and put her in a headlock, and that Leahew hit his head when he lunged and was bleeding.

The Eudora Police Department placed Leahew on administrative leave pending an internal investigation after his arrest, but Eudora Police Chief Grady Walker said Thursday that Leahew was no longer employed with the department.

He remains free on bond and is next scheduled to appear in court Oct. 27, if his diversion application is not complete by then.

Comments

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes cait............my point exactly almost, pretty close. I assume if he did something really stupid like endanger or intended to hurt somebody it should have been noted.

If his intent was.......

Toss the book at him, but I see no intent to harm others in all I've read.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 7 months ago

Something I haven't seen yet. Was the cab driver driving at the time of the assault? If so, this stupid git endangered everyone in that van. It's a miracle it wasn't a rollover!

kscityrobber 2 years, 7 months ago

Cops ruin innocent peoples lives everyday.. Just watch the news.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

Nobody claims he choked her. This is what I’m getting at, and could very well be wrong. but... Nobody claims this, no injuries nor intent to do bodily harm.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

This exchange bothers me. All I'm arguing is this. What if the x-cop was just horsing around?

I believe there is far too much legal issues which should be settled in other ways.

A wrong, but ruin his life wrong? Most likely has ruined him anyway.

If the driver feels so offended, she can take him to court for damages anywho. From the readings it sounds as though she was not injured.

Anybody reading this must ask themselves have I ever done something really really stupid? Lost a girlfriend/boyfriend, horrible times, acting irrationally?

I have and am very glad I didn’t lose my future. Lesson learned the hard way an old saying goes.

If a stupid mistake, give the fellow a suspension from work, force him into therapy and hope we have him back on the streets as a good cop.

Just playing around too aggressively? The buffoon did hurt himself in the action.

I do not like people grabbing me, but it has happened over the years. I’d hate to think having one of these goof's life ruined by a dumb drunken mistake.

It all comes down to this in my opinion. Was this a one time really stupid act on his part, nobody hurt except the buffoonish x cop, or was he angry and trying to hurt somebody?

Peace out as the young kids say now.

deec 2 years, 7 months ago

If you are a cab driver, especially one who works night shift, you pick up drunks, or you don't work. If you refuse fares who are drunk, you lose income, and eventually your job. Cab drivers have one of the most dangerous job in the country, You are alone in a car with strangers. You are not required to put up with "horseplay" that involves ANY physical contact. Allowing oneself to be assaulted or battered is not a job requirement. I take this cavalier attitude about cabbies personally, since I had a fare spit in my face and draw back his fist to hit me in broad daylight. Cab drivers put up with long hours, low wages, verbal abuse, puking customers, cheapskates who try to skip out on the fare (which comes out of your pocket if they succeed), driving in all weather conditions, people who stink, and constantly knowing in the back of your mind that you could easily be robbed or assaulted. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-15-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-2010-3#no-11-taxi-drivers-and-chauffeurs-5

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I made a mistake.

Should we put this man in jail too? Should have read ruin his future.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

None2

your showing your inner Allen Alda.

I assume if a police type fellow hurt her, or was trying to hurt her it would have been noted. So, if no injury happened the exchange was fairly non violent.

OK He lunged (what is the definition?) and he himself was injured. Sounds like he had a belly full of booze.

OK Now, here is where my wife and daughter would have reacted differently. They know to stay away from drunks. I know of no taxi company telling employees they must pick up obnoxious drunks.

Don’t tell me about people being forced to do things. The lady could file a federal charge of unfair working conditions and win bunny quick if she claimed she had to pick up all passengers.

You want the book thrown at him for grabbing. Around the neck, bad, but grabbing. Last week at the Oak Park Mall a man grabbed my arm trying to persuade me to come into his business. Let’s call this an “armlock” to make it seem more serious. I did have to shake him off.

Should we put this man in jail too?

How about high school kids playing pinchie slap tickle and grab? “Crotchlocks” lets call those. Some kids hate these. How about a little shove when bumping “pushlocks” into somebody at Home Depot? Or bumping into somebody in the pool. “aqualocks”

None2, my mom apparently is tougher than you. She would know the difference in a irritating unfortunate drunken misunderstanding and criminal assault. My feeling if in this hypothetical situation a proper apology would be accepted. With hope my father didn’t meet with him first.

ProfessorSeamus 2 years, 7 months ago

I have never applied for a police job, but I imagine the application is more in depth than "have you ever been convicted?" More likely they ask, at a minimum, "have you ever been charged with a crime?" In which case, even with a diversion, he would have to answer yes.

Bob Forer 2 years, 7 months ago

Diversion should be denied. If he is granted diversion and successfully completes the program, then the charges are dropped and he will not have a battery conviction on his record. The problem with that is that even though he has lost his job with the Eudora PD, he would still be able to apply for law enforcement positions at other agencies, and could truthfully answer "no" on his application to the question as to whether he has ever been convicted of a crime.

I don't have any problem with probation. But based on this experience, I don't believe the guy should ever again be allowed to carry a gun and badge. There are too many bad cops already out there. We don't need another one losing his temper and using excessive force on a person.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I may need to add this. For decades I’ve been for putting any person committing rape when violence is used to death.

Any other forcible rape life without parole. Plain and simple, toss any hope of release away.

Show me where to sign the petition for Kansas to do this, and I will make a special trip to sign.

I actually like the Texas laws where some murderers are put in speed lanes so the public can see the case actually move.

Robert the Rapist is caught/convicted in May, dispatched in Dec. of the same year. A clear signal to those who desire or practice this hideous life altering crime.

Hope this clears up any miscommunication on how I feel about crime against women.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

I think the guy losing his job for some horseplay is enough punishment. If it was sexual, then he shouldn't be on the street.

Let it be noted, dumb to go there, dumb to drive 6 people there.

fatheadff 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't worry KCrobber the cheater is gone too. Well at least one of them

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I remember reading about the black guy who was assaulted by police. What was the story of this?

kscityrobber 2 years, 7 months ago

There is alot of problems in the eudora police force. Not to long ago a officer got arrested for domestic with his wife. How come hes not fired also? About a month ago a officer dragged a little 12 year old girl about 15' through a ditch and jumped on her. Mind you this is a 6' 250 guy. Please tell me what this girl could of done to deserve to be treated like that? Short of having a gun or knife. Which she did not have. Also they almost tased, but they did slam and cuff a young black man going to college. Because he was mowing a friends yard while he was on vacation to make a few extra bucks. Also one uses his job to cheat on his wife. This force needs to be seriously investgated..

Number_1_Grandma 2 years, 7 months ago

Very surprised charges weren't dropped. No celebrity status for former police officer I guess...

Pywacket 2 years, 7 months ago

wissmo, that commentary was straight out of 1955. Seriously? Seriously? Blame the victim? If she's going to drive these guys, should expect one of them to put her in a headlock, etc?!! I guess it's a good thing she didn't wear any "provocative" clothing or maybe he would have thought it was okay to attempt rape--and you would have been right there in his corner telling the world that if she was gonna dress like that, she should expect to be groped--or worse.

His behavior is disturbing enough (especially as he was an officer of the law and should have known better/had better self control) but your attitude is utterly astounding.

Please update with a "Gotcha!" post and tell me you were joking and I fell for it. Please!

Scott Morgan 2 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like some boys having fun, a guy hits his head while drunk, no sexual connotations, no threats. C’mon folks it’s a human beings future we hold.

Are we so so so uptight we are going to ruin this guys life for stupidly, ignorantly, hornally (make finger horns on your head while pronouncing hornally) with I assume too much firewater in his gut.

I am not going down the road of excusing sexual harassment or worse. My view is both of the above are about as bad a thing human can do. But if you agree to drive 6 horndawgs to a strip bar at that time of the day, horseplay will happen.

Horseplay shouldn’t ruin a life. Anybody want to wrestle?

fatheadff 2 years, 7 months ago

Way to clean house Grady now to get rid of one more officer who isn't very Sharp.