Archive for Thursday, September 22, 2011

Former Eudora police officer accused of battery on cab driver on way to The Outhouse applies for diversion

September 22, 2011

A former Eudora police officer who is accused of putting a cab driver in a headlock in August has applied for diversion in his misdemeanor case, his attorney said Thursday.

Trey Meyer, an attorney for Thomas Clinton Leahew, 29, asked Douglas County District Judge Paula Martin on Thursday to give prosecutors more time to review Leahew’s diversion application.

He faces one misdemeanor count of battery. Douglas County Sheriff’s officers arrested him at 5 a.m. Aug. 7 in the 1800 section of North 1500 Road on suspicion of battery.

In an interview with the Journal-World, the alleged victim, a 35-year-old woman, accused Leahew of lunging at her from the back of a van while she was driving Leahew and six other people to The Outhouse, 1837 N. 1500 Road. The woman said he grabbed her and put her in a headlock, and that Leahew hit his head when he lunged and was bleeding.

The Eudora Police Department placed Leahew on administrative leave pending an internal investigation after his arrest, but Eudora Police Chief Grady Walker said Thursday that Leahew was no longer employed with the department.

He remains free on bond and is next scheduled to appear in court Oct. 27, if his diversion application is not complete by then.

Comments

fatheadff 3 years, 3 months ago

Way to clean house Grady now to get rid of one more officer who isn't very Sharp.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like some boys having fun, a guy hits his head while drunk, no sexual connotations, no threats. C’mon folks it’s a human beings future we hold.

Are we so so so uptight we are going to ruin this guys life for stupidly, ignorantly, hornally (make finger horns on your head while pronouncing hornally) with I assume too much firewater in his gut.

I am not going down the road of excusing sexual harassment or worse. My view is both of the above are about as bad a thing human can do. But if you agree to drive 6 horndawgs to a strip bar at that time of the day, horseplay will happen.

Horseplay shouldn’t ruin a life. Anybody want to wrestle?

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

So you think assault is ok as long as it isn't sexual? I don't think it is very relevant he use to be a policeman but I don't think assault is a humorous thing to dismiss, especially when it wasn't on you. I am uptight, I don't like a guy to jump me, put me in a headlock while I am at work or just hanging out. If you think that is horseplay, and justified by her being a taxi driver taking a party to a destination you are just plain "blank".

deec 3 years, 3 months ago

I was a cab driver in Lawrence in the '90's. Funny, the owner forgot to inform the drivers that we were required to allow fares to batter us.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

I am glad Eudora cut the clown. thanks for the additional info.

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

Does it truly matter if he was a cop or not? Assault is assault, regardless of who does the deed. Granted, it a bit sadder that he was a cop and REALLY should have known better, but...

There is no cure for stupid.

true_patriot 3 years, 3 months ago

Sure sounds fine. Let's see if you're as cavalier about it when it happens to your wife or your daughter. Just a little fun drunken assault to liven your family life up a bit, no big deal.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

I've always disliked being touched by others without permission. No, I would not be happy if somebody did this to my wife or daughter.

A visit by me to “discuss” the unwanted horseplay and the fact the man lost his job plus career would have been enough though. I actually think him losing his job was too much. Did I hear somebody say, second chance?

A permanent police record though?

Pretty serious for a dumb mistake.

We have gone far far far too far in this nation of making the penalty too much for the crime. I could also argue the same for not having enough punishment in some oddball cases.

We have children with justice department records for horseplay on the playground nowadays. Same with playing with obviously toy guns in school.

Daniel Speicher 3 years, 3 months ago

Ah, yes... Vigilante justice is always superior to civil action. I long for the days of the old west where people could just go up to someone and "discuss" something with them. Never mind that no trial had been given, no guilt officially assigned and no regulations given as to what is or is not excessive force. But, hey... At least the bloodied cowboy didn't have a tarnished public record...

Ridiculous.

meggers 3 years, 3 months ago

He placed her in a headlock while she was driving, endangering the entire carload of people. That is more than just harmless horseplay.

Blaming the driver for doing her job is just plain stupid.

sanerw 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe you wouldn't mind being tackled and but in a choke hold on your job? Cab drivers don't know what kind of people are going to get in their car any more than you can control who you work with. Maybe you think it would be excusable if someone came to your work place and shot you because you sound like a moron? Just saying.............

kscityrobber 3 years, 3 months ago

There is alot of problems in the eudora police force. Not to long ago a officer got arrested for domestic with his wife. How come hes not fired also? About a month ago a officer dragged a little 12 year old girl about 15' through a ditch and jumped on her. Mind you this is a 6' 250 guy. Please tell me what this girl could of done to deserve to be treated like that? Short of having a gun or knife. Which she did not have. Also they almost tased, but they did slam and cuff a young black man going to college. Because he was mowing a friends yard while he was on vacation to make a few extra bucks. Also one uses his job to cheat on his wife. This force needs to be seriously investgated..

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I remember reading about the black guy who was assaulted by police. What was the story of this?

fatheadff 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't worry KCrobber the cheater is gone too. Well at least one of them

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

I think the guy losing his job for some horseplay is enough punishment. If it was sexual, then he shouldn't be on the street.

Let it be noted, dumb to go there, dumb to drive 6 people there.

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

I think he is saying she shoud be "barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen" preparin' her man dinner.

Or maybe he is saying the guys should have driven drunk to go where they wanted.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Me thinks there is more to the story. One, Eudora doesn't have taxi service, (maybe expensive type during daylight hours from Lawrence) two, I know of no taxi service which can carry 6 horndawgs in the Lawrence area.

Cimmy Redmond 3 years, 3 months ago

You should read the article before you comment. It doesn't say the incident occurred in Eudora; it says the person in question is a former Eudora police officer. North 1500 Road is in Lawrence. Also, Jayhawk Taxi uses minivans, any of which can take six passengers.

sanerw 3 years, 2 months ago

Well one, they were in Lawrence when this happened and two they do have vans that can carry six drunks around town. Yeah, there is probably more to the story. The guy was at his bachelor party and his fiance probably called and was pissed to find out they were planning to see strippers so he freaked.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh, I may need to add this. For decades I’ve been for putting any person committing rape when violence is used to death.

Any other forcible rape life without parole. Plain and simple, toss any hope of release away.

Show me where to sign the petition for Kansas to do this, and I will make a special trip to sign.

I actually like the Texas laws where some murderers are put in speed lanes so the public can see the case actually move.

Robert the Rapist is caught/convicted in May, dispatched in Dec. of the same year. A clear signal to those who desire or practice this hideous life altering crime.

Hope this clears up any miscommunication on how I feel about crime against women.

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

Diversion should be denied. If he is granted diversion and successfully completes the program, then the charges are dropped and he will not have a battery conviction on his record. The problem with that is that even though he has lost his job with the Eudora PD, he would still be able to apply for law enforcement positions at other agencies, and could truthfully answer "no" on his application to the question as to whether he has ever been convicted of a crime.

I don't have any problem with probation. But based on this experience, I don't believe the guy should ever again be allowed to carry a gun and badge. There are too many bad cops already out there. We don't need another one losing his temper and using excessive force on a person.

ProfessorSeamus 3 years, 3 months ago

I have never applied for a police job, but I imagine the application is more in depth than "have you ever been convicted?" More likely they ask, at a minimum, "have you ever been charged with a crime?" In which case, even with a diversion, he would have to answer yes.

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe the Lawrence PD application only asks for convictions. The guy probably is already certified by the Ks Law Enforcement Training Center. Therefore, without any convictions he would be an appealing applicant, since the hiring agency would not have to pay him to attend the training program, nor would they have to reimburse the Training Center for fees. Without a conviction, there is a possibility another jurisdiction would eventually hire him.

None2

your showing your inner Allen Alda.

I assume if a police type fellow hurt her, or was trying to hurt her it would have been noted. So, if no injury happened the exchange was fairly non violent.

OK He lunged (what is the definition?) and he himself was injured. Sounds like he had a belly full of booze.

OK Now, here is where my wife and daughter would have reacted differently. They know to stay away from drunks. I know of no taxi company telling employees they must pick up obnoxious drunks.

Don’t tell me about people being forced to do things. The lady could file a federal charge of unfair working conditions and win bunny quick if she claimed she had to pick up all passengers.

You want the book thrown at him for grabbing. Around the neck, bad, but grabbing. Last week at the Oak Park Mall a man grabbed my arm trying to persuade me to come into his business. Let’s call this an “armlock” to make it seem more serious. I did have to shake him off.

Should we put this man in jail too?

How about high school kids playing pinchie slap tickle and grab? “Crotchlocks” lets call those. Some kids hate these. How about a little shove when bumping “pushlocks” into somebody at Home Depot? Or bumping into somebody in the pool. “aqualocks”

None2, my mom apparently is tougher than you. She would know the difference in a irritating unfortunate drunken misunderstanding and criminal assault. My feeling if in this hypothetical situation a proper apology would be accepted. With hope my father didn’t meet with him first.

kscityrobber 3 years, 3 months ago

He put her in a headlock. Not just grabbed her arm. And he didnt just play pinchi slap tickle and grab. he was choking her. Are you a cop? sounds like you are to me. With all this blue code of honor your putting out.

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

As I said above, there is no cure for stupid.

Sadly, wissmo's comments prove it more sussinctly than this moron's assault of a woman doing her job.

Oh, I made a mistake.

Should we put this man in jail too? Should have read ruin his future.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Deec you don’t work for Yellow Cab in the recruiting department do you?

Troll, nope.

Local fellow, in fact just drove on a road through the Baker Wetlands wondering why people are angry, when I’m driving on a road through the Baker Wetlands. Key Concepts Road already There. Are they going to pull up the roads already there?

I have several things which I’m passionate about.

The State of Kansas and the goofy folks who feel some sort of shame on living here. Wonderful state, wonderful people, miles of opportunity.

Federal Taxes and the welfare system. Example, The Federal Dept. of Education.

Stupid laws and trends which in the long run are ruining this nation. Nuclear Winter, Global Warming, Climate Change, put your change in Al Gore’s pocket.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

wissmo, you deny and change the facts presented in the story, you present the attacked as culpable rather than the attacker. You are a troll. I want people unable to safely drive to be able to take a taxi. Thank you to the taxi drivers who are professional and help keep the streets safer and help the people to get to their destination.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

pace, I want cabdrivers to call the police if they feel unsafe. One life is just as important as another.

So, you value a hardworking cabbie's life and limb less than anothers.

This is another example of groupthink. Get drunks off the road, even if it hurts others. Forget logic, forget implications, just do it.

Mi Amigo, call the cops, they know what to do, even with other cops.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

At no point did I say that I did not value a taxi drivers life. For you to claim I said or meant that, is a plain lie. Do not make up a point, claim it is what I said as your defense. You do not have the intellect to magically interpret what I might say. I didn;t say what you claim. I am correct, your statement on my stand are plain lies.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

pardon moi, but you wrote......You are a troll. I want people unable to safely drive to be able to take a taxi. Thank you to the taxi drivers who are professional and help keep the streets safer and help the people to get to their destination.

What if they decide the passenger will hurt them? I took what you posted as a taxi driver should haul drunks. In fact pace, you indicated they were professionals. Meaning I assume they should do the work of cops.

Wrong o pace, cabbies are just like you and I and should never ever have to face violence.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

Why change my words, except to lie. I said taxi driivers were professionals. I did not say they were police. You say you think I meant that, only because you like to lie. " What if" I meant something other than what I actually said.You ascribe your poor logic to my name. Don't do that. You are lying about what I said. Stop.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

It is not poor logic, you stated get drunks off the streets by using taxis.

I'm for keeping drunks off the road, but not putting in the laps of cab drivers.

pace 3 years, 2 months ago

The poor logic was what you said I meant and how your used poor logic to extrapolate my words to mean your stupid drivel. You said I "So, you value a hardworking cabbie's life and limb less than anothers. " which is a lie. You lied about my words and meaning. I called you on it. Then you lied again.

deec 3 years, 3 months ago

If you are a cab driver, especially one who works night shift, you pick up drunks, or you don't work. If you refuse fares who are drunk, you lose income, and eventually your job. Cab drivers have one of the most dangerous job in the country, You are alone in a car with strangers. You are not required to put up with "horseplay" that involves ANY physical contact. Allowing oneself to be assaulted or battered is not a job requirement. I take this cavalier attitude about cabbies personally, since I had a fare spit in my face and draw back his fist to hit me in broad daylight. Cab drivers put up with long hours, low wages, verbal abuse, puking customers, cheapskates who try to skip out on the fare (which comes out of your pocket if they succeed), driving in all weather conditions, people who stink, and constantly knowing in the back of your mind that you could easily be robbed or assaulted. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-15-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-2010-3#no-11-taxi-drivers-and-chauffeurs-5

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

deec, BTW...since I've imported myself into all this thanks to you and all the other cabbies out there. Saved my rear a few times, no drinking, but getting to the airport, and other places in tight situations.

Cabbies do a lot of great things we the public never hear about.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 3 months ago

Cabbies do a lot of great things we the public never hear about. ++++++++++++++++++ To include, getting screwed by every public transportation system.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

This exchange bothers me. All I'm arguing is this. What if the x-cop was just horsing around?

I believe there is far too much legal issues which should be settled in other ways.

A wrong, but ruin his life wrong? Most likely has ruined him anyway.

If the driver feels so offended, she can take him to court for damages anywho. From the readings it sounds as though she was not injured.

Anybody reading this must ask themselves have I ever done something really really stupid? Lost a girlfriend/boyfriend, horrible times, acting irrationally?

I have and am very glad I didn’t lose my future. Lesson learned the hard way an old saying goes.

If a stupid mistake, give the fellow a suspension from work, force him into therapy and hope we have him back on the streets as a good cop.

Just playing around too aggressively? The buffoon did hurt himself in the action.

I do not like people grabbing me, but it has happened over the years. I’d hate to think having one of these goof's life ruined by a dumb drunken mistake.

It all comes down to this in my opinion. Was this a one time really stupid act on his part, nobody hurt except the buffoonish x cop, or was he angry and trying to hurt somebody?

Peace out as the young kids say now.

sanerw 3 years, 2 months ago

People are responsible for their actions, drinking or not. If you drive drunk, you can lose your license. If your job happens to be a police officer and you choke a cab driver, you can lose your job. Enough said....

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

Nobody claims he choked her. This is what I’m getting at, and could very well be wrong. but... Nobody claims this, no injuries nor intent to do bodily harm.

deec 3 years, 2 months ago

Doesn't matter that he hurt himself more than he hurt her. He put her in a headlock. You cannot do that. It is a crime. This is not "horseplay." it is battery. Putting someone who is driving a moving vehicle in a headlock certainly is intending harm. She was doing her job, and did not deserve to be attacked by a stupidly drunk passenger.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

deec, I know this section has died for comments. I do not want to make somebody feel bad, but you like many assumed he hurt somebody. This sounds much more like somebody bumping into you at a Royals game going after a foul ball.

In short, nobody, nobody ever said he hurt a soul. Repeat, nobody got hurt, no malice intended. A dumb drunken move perhaps, I don't know, buy you assumed headlock hurt. Have you not ever had an uncle give you a dutch rub, or somebody just say, c'mon give me a hug.

kscityrobber 3 years, 2 months ago

Cops ruin innocent peoples lives everyday.. Just watch the news.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 2 months ago

Something I haven't seen yet. Was the cab driver driving at the time of the assault? If so, this stupid git endangered everyone in that van. It's a miracle it wasn't a rollover!

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes cait............my point exactly almost, pretty close. I assume if he did something really stupid like endanger or intended to hurt somebody it should have been noted.

If his intent was.......

Toss the book at him, but I see no intent to harm others in all I've read.