Archive for Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rollover accident near K-10/K-7 interchange involves 15-year-old Olathe boy

September 17, 2011

A 15-year-old Olathe boy was taken to a Kansas City area hospital after a rollover accident on westbound Kansas Highway 10 in Johnson County, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol report.

Kevin James Shaunty Jr. was attempting to merge onto northbound Kansas Highway 7 when he was traveling too fast and rolled the 2001 Ford Explorer he was driving, the report said.

His injuries were not believed to be life-threatening. He was treated and later released from the hospital, a hospital official said.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

A 15-year-old boy was driving? Did he have a driver's license? I thought you had to be 16 before you could drive alone.

My grandmother told me that it didn't used to be that way. She told me that In the 1920s, the only requirement for driving a Model T was that you had to be at least 12 years old.

Carol Bowen 3 years ago

Lots of rollovers lately. Loss of control happens when driving too fast. Maybe, we should be lowering the speed limits. Unfortunate this happened to a fifteen year old.

OonlyBonly 3 years ago

It also happens with inexperienced drivers, over correcting and top heavy vehicles or those raised above "normal" height by suspension modifications, large wheels and or tires........

Dixie Jones 3 years ago

The story does not say he was alone . nor does it say someone was with him.... ever heard the term what does ASSUME do???? ask granny bout that one.....

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

I sure would like to know who the supervising driver was that never bothered to say:

"I think you're going too fast."

mtnfreak 3 years ago

If he rolled his car then he was likely all ready traveling in excess of the posted speed limit. Lowering the speed limit wouldn't change the fact that he was speeding around a ramp faster than prudent. Likely just a mistake due to inexperience. Good to hear he's okay.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

The aging fleet of American SUV's are being handed down to our children as we replace them with the new hybrids. Thinking these big heavy high center of gravity vehicles are "safe" for our youth does not take into account their inexperience with them.

Nikki May 2 years, 12 months ago

I agree with this entirely. You think size means safe, but it's not. My daughter is wanting a vw bus. Her grandfather has told her, "no vans or suvs until you have at least 5 years driving experience." She then tried to make her case to me. I explained why he said it, and she countered with, "But I'll be a good driver." Guess what, the answer is still no.

Chris Phillips 3 years ago

If there was a supervising driver, perhaps they did say the 15 year old was driving too fast...but too late to correct. Don't start judging the situation until you get more information. Until then, I hope the boy recuperates soon and learns from this that he has to be more careful while driving. This could have been much worse.

Peaty Romano 3 years ago

It sounds like he's okay, I'm glad. I wonder too if someone was in the car with him. My 15 YO is on a restricted license. An adult needs to be in the car with him. He can drive alone to and from school or work. Possibly the boy was going to work? Either way we all make mistakes, many roll overs happen in SUV's when you to off the shoulder and put two wheels in the dirt. It was wet out today too. I don't think lowering the speed limit is the answer, knowing your car's limits would be better.

Curtis Lange 3 years ago

That is a 30 mph ramp, so I can see it being pretty easy for an inexperienced driver taking the corner too fast.

popo_washburn 2 years, 12 months ago

I just have one thing to say. Everyone in regards to K10 is quick to blame the road and the state etc. for the accidents that occur and requesting lower speed limit. It would not matter if it was 70 mph or 55 mph, the drivers still drive 80+. The drivers of that road need to take more responsibility. It will be good when K10 is a safety zone and tickets double on that road. I drive it everyday and the drivers' selfishness is a large problem, they care about getting places fast they put everyone else at risk. I know people will disagree but how are we to put our responsibility on the state or county? Really?

notorious_agenda 2 years, 12 months ago

The very best example for me was; Someone in a blue civic with a "make K10 safe" on the rear window driving 85mph and cutting me off just to pass a car in the slow lane. I was going to E1900rd, only a few miles on K-10 out of Lawrence. I couldn't even make it 2 minutes outside Lawrence before one of the "make K10 safe" people was endangering my life. I'm not saying its limited to them, or that they are all the same, but you are the sum of your weakest parts.

domino 2 years, 12 months ago

Saw some interesting figures the other day - don't remember where or the exact numbers but basically they were saying that with the changes in the law raising the age for drivers the number of injury accidents for 15 and 16 year old drivers had taken a pretty good decrease. BUT the number of injury accidents for drivers 17 thru 19 had taken a really big increase!! So you still have drivers who don't have much experience getting in the accidents!! It has just shifted the ages. Another concern in that many states you can get a drivers license at 18 without have to take a Drivers Ed class or anything, so many kids are just waiting until they turn 18 and not mess with taking a class. Hope I don't run into many of those drivers on the road! Prayers with this young man and his family - glad it wasn't too serious!

Peaty Romano 2 years, 12 months ago

My son is 15 and will be taking this class next month: http://www.streetsurvival.org/ very worth while. As a parent it's my responsibility to teach my kids to drive properly and get them the proper training. He'll be taking the course again after he gets his own car to get more familiar with it.

I drive RT 10 quite a bit myself, to me the most dangerous things are not necessarily the speed but it's the cutting people off, tailgating and inattentive drivers. If you are going to pass, signal you intentions, pass then get back in the right lane. People that camp out in the left lane are just as much a hazard if you ask me. When you see a merge coming up, if possible move over and let the person in, then get back over. It's common courtesy is all, I know it's a lot to ask I suppose.

Beth Ennis 2 years, 12 months ago

in KS you can get a drivers license at 15. He was probably alone. it is a restricted license until 17. He can not have any other minors in the car unless they are siblings, and then I believe they have made it only 1 sibling is allowed. Adults can be in the car. It's a very strange law. It's a little better now than when my kids started driving. The first time my daughter ever changed lanes on the interstate, we almost bought the farm. I had told her it's not a turn, you just barely move the wheel and you gradually move over. She turned the wheel. We were lucky she got the control back before we crossed over into oncoming traffic, and very lucky we didn't hit someone in the lanes next to us. She learned her lesson. I was with her in the car. She said she had been on the interstate with her driving instructor, but they got on and then got off at the next exit w/o changing lanes at full speed. Big difference than when you are going 65 mph. KS is crazy for letting kids drive too young. it's all about making it easier on the parents because they just don't have time to do all the driving their kids require.