Archive for Friday, September 16, 2011

Unemployment up for 1st time since 2009

September 16, 2011

— The Kansas unemployment rate for August increased — the first monthly increase in more than two years ­— as the state job market continued to struggle, officials reported Thursday.

The jobless rate for August was 6.9 percent, up from 6.8 percent in July and down from 7.1 percent in August 2010. The seasonally adjusted rate for August was 6.7 percent, up from 6.5 percent in July and down from 7 percent in August 2010.

“Overall there has been no noticeable improvement in the Kansas labor market since April,” said Tyler Tenbrink, an economist with the Kansas Department of Labor.

“This lack of employment growth has manifested itself in an increased unemployment rate for the state. This is the first increase in the statewide unemployment rate since July 2009,” Tenbrink said.

Labor Secretary Karin Brownlee said, “It is difficult for Kansas to recover from a significant recession without faster-paced job growth.”

The jobless rate in Douglas County was 6.5 percent, which is unchanged from July and last August. The national unemployment rate is 9.1 percent.

Statewide, Kansas gained 2,500 private-sector jobs since July but lost 4,800 government jobs, according to the report.

Claims for unemployment compensation also increased.

There were 21,420 initial claims for unemployment benefits in August, up from 19,706 initial claims in July and an increase from 17,632 in August 2010.

There were 231,076 continued claims in August, up from 192,155 in July and a decrease from 235,654 in August 2010.

Last week, Gov. Sam Brownback said he was encouraged by the “trajectory” of private-sector job growth in Kansas. “We need to accelerate it,” he said.

Comments

CountyResident 3 years, 3 months ago

Are jobs that the government contracts with a company to perform counted as a private sector job or a government job? It seems to me that if the government is funding the project, than it should be classified as a government job. Does anyone know?

chootspa 3 years, 3 months ago

They did a recent study, and it turns out privately contracted jobs for the government cost 1.8 times as much on average than just hiring the person as a government employee. So yes, they should count as government jobs, because they should just be government jobs.

dogsandcats 3 years, 3 months ago

But I thought Sam the Sham was going to create new jobs.

BruceWayne 3 years, 3 months ago

That's what I was thinking. I thought he had created thousands of jobs since taking office.

chootspa 3 years, 3 months ago

He apparently missed the part where adding three and subtracting five still results in a negative number.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

I have some nickels, and since they're bigger than dimes, they're worth more.

He'll agree with me and trade for lots of them, right?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

But now that I thinking about it, pennies are also bigger than dimes.

chootspa 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh, but he's of the philosophy that the government doesn't "create" jobs. Sorry 4800 newly unemployed government workers, but you never had a job and don't count in Sam's magical world.

chootspa 3 years, 3 months ago

Instead, he cut taxes and cut spending. How did that work out, btw?

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 3 months ago

Not only is Brownback not creating jobs, but unemployment has risen.

"He added, “The likelihood of public-sector jobs being sustainable in the near term is not high.”"

Maybe, Sam. But this means job growth under your administration will also not be high, and thus hopefully your tenure as governor will not be long.

Brownback gets an "F" for job growth.

chootspa 3 years, 3 months ago

That's because the likelihood that he'll double down on tax cuts for the rich is quite high. He still thinks that cutting taxes is like making a baseball diamond in the middle of a corn field.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

"making a baseball diamond in the middle of a corn field."

I saw that movie!

He must be in 'A Field of Dreams' and hearing voices.

dizthewiz 3 years, 3 months ago

I am sort of surprised it took someone this long to blame Obama for the jobless rate declining in KS. Don't you see the correlation between Brownback just getting in office and then the sudden decline after two years of NOT declining???

think_about_it 3 years, 3 months ago

As long as the decline is in Government bureaucrats I'm all for higher unemployment.

simpleton 3 years, 3 months ago

That is just what a spiteful, willfully-ignorant teabaggian would say.

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

Both Democrat (national) and Republican (Kansas) policies have failed to raise employment. Maybe it's time to quit blaming Obama, Brownback, or whomever and try to make positive steps in a direction that would actually address the problem. If there was ever a time for bi- or tri-partisan cooperation, this is it. So, instead of cutesy little comments, from all of us, why not make this forum a clearing house for ideas rather than insults? I know you have some good ideas, L275, as do a lot of your more left-leaning readers, so why not engage in debate and fact-gathering and make a positive difference. You--and we all--might like it.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

We make a difference on election day. The rest of the time we just stand on our little soapboxes.

beatrice 3 years, 3 months ago

So I guess Perry's success with creating jobs in Texas is Obama's fault, too, correct?

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

I suppose it's as much Obama's fault as Jerry Brown's success in Cali.

;-)

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

Great idea!!!! Now, when do you want to take your drug test and give blood for a complete screen, since you drive on federally-funded highways, use the services of the police, military, department of wildlife and parks, Homeland Security, ad nauseum. If you think you've made a valid point, you'r sadly mistaken, M_L, and need to rethink your position vis-a-vis "Federal or State assistance". Life isn't as easily compartmentalized as you and your kind seem to think, and you are a part of an integral machine that will, and I mean WILL, grind on with or without your thoughtless input.

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

And you are an unthinking, non-analytical dolt. If you would think, for just a second, you'd realize that tha vast majority of those about whom I spoke are not alcoholics and not druggies and are, or have been, self-supporting, family people who are forced to lives that you would not want to live. Your rantings are about a very few of the people who use and deserve state services, but you ignore the majority to make a point about a small minority. That type of fear-mongering is what got this administration elected in the first place. I'd love to hear from you a plan that closes the loopholes wherein the minority is punished without throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but that is clearly not in your plan.

And, no, I do not condone the use of state services to foster those types of activities, but I do demand that my tax dollars (and I do pay taxes) be used to foster education and other programs that make these people lift themselves by their bootstraps and become the type of folks who deserve to get on this forum and complain about others.

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

And I repeat: I do not condone fostering the lifestyles of which you speak, but demand that the state continue programs of education and training that will reduce the incidence of such individuals being on the dole. Perhaps you failed to read and understand my message, but then I expect that from rabidly anti-people such as yourself.

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

Which is what I said. Now, if you think I believe that ALL programs are going to result in PERFECT results, I think you are reaching for something to argue against. You and I both know that some people arre not going to improve, no matter what. But, and this is a big but, it still makes no sense to disappear the very programs that make it POSSIBLE that those people COULD become productive rather than destructive and parasitic. A bit of "reward/punishment" tweeking might be in order, but throwing out huge chunks of the programs to benefit some "economic necessity" is absolutely going the wrong way to go about improving the quality of life for many, many Kansans. Agree or disagree?

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

My_Life, I have to apologize. Several weeks ago I made a promise not to engage in name-calling to make a point, and I have definitely broken that promise. I am sorry I called you a disparaging name, and it will not happen again. I still think you are wrong, but name-calling proves nothing and makes it less likely that you, or anyone else, will take my points seriously. Sorry.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

I obviously condone legalizing all drugs and testing only if there is a suspicion that drug use has caused damage to a second party or if a person has demonstrated he/she is in a position to harm others because of intoxication. That goes for all adults, even those on welfare.

"You are the problem. "

The poison in your human machine? Happily so.

simpleton 3 years, 3 months ago

That is just such a short-sighed and ignorant thing to say.

3 years, 3 months ago

The popular repeated line from conservatives is "government doesn't create jobs, businesses do." So, let's blame businesses. Oh, right, that's unless there's a Democratic president and then it's all his fault. No, I'm confused. Brokeback promised to create jobs so he must mean government can create jobs. So then, why are their fewer jobs? Blame in on our governor.