Archive for Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lawrence man arrested on suspicion of raping 15-year-old girl

September 15, 2011, 3:56 p.m. Updated September 15, 2011, 4:25 p.m.

Lawrence police on Thursday afternoon arrested a 37-year-old Lawrence man on one count of rape and one count of indecent liberties with a child.

An investigator arrested the man in the 2100 block of Ousdahl Road and took him to the Douglas County Jail at 1:45 p.m., according to jail records.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said a 15-year-old Lawrence girl called police Saturday and alleged that the man had sexually assaulted earlier that day at a residence in south-central Lawrence. The victim said she had met the man earlier on Saturday.

“There were no physical injuries reported by the victim,” Sarna said.

Police made contact with the man and arrested him Thursday afternoon.

Douglas County prosecutors will make a decision about filing formal charges against the man, and, if he’s charged soon, he could appear in court Friday afternoon.

The Journal-World generally does not identify sex-crime suspects unless they are convicted.

Comments

08Champs 3 years, 3 months ago

I would say that if girl was raped then she has been injured physically. Even if the PD gave that quote it shouldn't be used as it implies she wasn't hurt.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

So you belong to the "rape" and "not rape" school of thought? Oh and never mind she was below the age of consent anyway. You rank up there with Georgia rep Bobby Franklin, who called rape, stalking and domestic abuse "victimless crimes" and wanted to change the legal language from calling them "victims" to "accusers".

Stephanie Harris 3 years, 3 months ago

I think you misread Champs reply....I read it to mean that Champs said the PD should not have used the quote “There were no physical injuries reported by the victim,” because PHYSICAL injuries don't always occur when you are raped....it is traumatic emotionally enough by itself. Rape is rape regardless of the presence of PHYSICAL injuries.

08Champs 3 years, 3 months ago

Whoa there - you are reiterating the exact same concern that I was - and you're jumping my case because you don't understand 2 simple sentences?

Read it again - I don't like the PD comment because it's seemed as if Sarna was downplaying it with the "she wasn't hurt" remark.

Now take it back please.

betteratKU_law 3 years, 3 months ago

I think we are all intelligent enough to understand what the statement "no physical injuries were reported" actually means in this case. It answers a question I was wondering while reading the article. No one is implying that victim is unharmed physically. It is a way of expressing that the victim was not beaten, stabbed, etc.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

My apologies, Champs. I read the first sentence and misunderstood it. Thank you MurphyCat.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree a "shot in the family jewels" is needed, but not of Tabasco sauce. If you know what I mean.

doc1 3 years, 3 months ago

Wasp and Hornet spray or draino works the best.

conservative 3 years, 3 months ago

My deepest sympathies to the girl. Nobody should ever have to suffer through this. I hope she gets the support she needs in the difficult time. @08champs, it's pretty evident that if she was raped that she was harmed, the quote from the police would be indicating she didn't receive any further injuries during the course of the rape.

Beth Bird 3 years, 3 months ago

Isn't it sad that she may actually need it.....What awesome rights women have over their own bodies.....

Steve Jacob 3 years, 3 months ago

Innocent until proven guilty, remember.

doc1 3 years, 3 months ago

So little information to the story.

bevy 3 years, 3 months ago

Little information - as it should be since the victim is a minor and the alleged perpetrator is innocent until proven guilty. More info is not required at this time.

tbecs 3 years, 3 months ago

The guy was arrested walking around near Schwegler...which I find scary. If he is some sort of "little girl" nasty guy there are lots of kids walking to and from school in that area. I hope that he doesn't actually live near the school.

And yes--physical injuries like broken arms or cuts and bruises are visable. Injuries internally are a different story with a forced sexual encounter. Not to mention the emotional scars. I agree that the quote made it sound like it was less of a violent act than it really is for the survivor.