Archive for Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Co-author of Glenn Beck best-seller is 23-year-old KU graduate Joshua Charles

September 13, 2011

Last winter, what 23-year-old Kansas University School of Music graduate Joshua Charles held in his hands was a bundle of papers nicely bound by Lawrence’s Copy Co.

By the summer, it was a New York Times Best Seller.

Many may be unaware that Lawrence is home to the author of one of the hot new political books of the year. Perhaps even more surprising: Its brand of politics isn’t what Lawrence is known for.

On the front cover of “The Original Argument,” you’ll see the name Glenn Beck in bold letters that proclaim his reputation as the biggest of names in the world of conservative commentators. But turn to the inside cover and you’ll see the book was co-authored by Johsua Charles, Lawrence resident and once aspiring concert pianist.

“It has been a roller-coaster ride,” Charles said.

Watch a video of Charles talking with Beck about the book.

It has been a ride that started innocently enough with a college pastime: a little TV watching. In March 2010, Charles was watching Glenn Beck’s program, when the host said somebody should rewrite the Federalist Papers — the iconic essays of the Founding Fathers — in a more modern language that would be more understandable.

Funny you should mention that, Glenn.

Charles had started on that very project a few months earlier.

“I had been working on that project and really had become very doubtful about whether I should continue,” Charles said recently. “It is a lot of work to rewrite those documents. But then, when I heard Glenn say that on his show, I thought I might actually be on to something.”

Maybe. Charles was intent on finding out. He saved up his money during the school’s semester so that he would not have to find a summer job. Instead, he undertook a month and a half of nearly nonstop writing to re-craft the 85 essays that make up the Federalist Papers.

Then he sent them off to Beck. And he received word back of … nothing.

“I tried for months to get it in his hands,” Charles said. “I sent the manuscript. I tried to call into the radio show, but I basically had given up ever getting it into his hands. By September or October, I just didn’t think it was in the cards anymore.”

But none of it stopped Charles from watching Beck’s show. On one show, Beck was talking about a small town in Ohio that had been ravaged by the economic recession. But community members and volunteers were coming together there to try to make a difference. Charles and fellow Lawrence resident and KU student Chandler Schmidt decided to go there over holiday break.

“We went there with zero thought about the book,” Charles said.

But when they got there, the leader of the faith-based organization they were volunteering at said a producer with Beck’s show had called. The show wanted to do a follow-up. She had told the producer that there was a good story possibility about a couple of college students from Kansas who were volunteering.

A few days later, Charles gets a call from Beck’s people.

“They asked me if I wanted to come out to New York for the show,” Charles recalls. “I tried to be nonchalant about it.”

Charles didn’t travel alone. He went to Lawrence’s Copy Co. and had his manuscript bound nicely to look like a book. Before the taping of Beck’s TV show began, Charles gave him a copy of the manuscript.

Beck looked surprised and then uttered some words that forever changed the 23-year-old’s life.

“If this is any good, I’m going to publish it,” Beck said.

The TV show aired on Thursday, and by the following Monday, a representative of Beck had called to strike a deal with Charles. The book hit bookshelves in June. By early July, the book topped The New York Times’ Best Seller List.

Schmidt, his college friend and traveling mate to Ohio, said it has been fun to watch.

“I was pretty impressed that he just wrote the book at all,” Schmidt said. “But getting the book into Glenn Beck’s hands and becoming a New York Times Best Seller, yeah, I didn’t see that coming.”

But Schmidt said he’s not surprised that Charles set out to do it.

“He is an absolute history nut, and he believes that the writing of the Constitution was one of the greatest things to ever happen on this planet,” Schmidt said.

Now, Charles has become a rising star on the speaking circuit, preaching the values of the Constitution, especially to Tea Party crowds.

“I hope people read the book and understand better where rights come from and that government is instituted to protect those rights,” Charles said. “That is its first and foremost duty. It is not to give us all goodies.”

Schmidt is traveling to California soon for a week’s worth of paid speaking engagements after signing on with the national talent firm Premiere Speakers Bureau, which represents everyone from Anderson Cooper to Ben Stein. Charles also recently received a personal letter from former President George W. Bush, who thanked him for a copy of the book. Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins has been distributing the book on his behalf to other members of Congress.

“The fact that I can say I’m Glenn’s co-author has opened a lot of doors for me,” Charles said.

And yes, he also can say that he does actually know Beck a bit. Although they didn’t lock themselves in a room together to write the book, Charles has been on the show four times, and he insisted on a personal meeting with Beck before he signed a deal.

“He has done everything he said he would do by contract, by word of mouth and then more,” Charles said. “I know some people have major issues with his politics, but the guy is a diamond in the rough in terms of being a good person.”

Charles — who grew up in California, went to the University of Idaho but then transferred when his piano instructor took a position at KU — plans to stay in Lawrence for at least the next year. He previously was admitted to a law school in Virginia, but has put that on hold while he promotes the book, speaks and works and reads a lot more about the Founding Fathers with another book perhaps in the making.

But Charles is quick to say that he doesn’t really know what comes next. Charles, who was active in many Christian organizations at KU, said this adventure has reinforced for him that someone large — even larger than Glenn Beck — controls what the future holds.

“I still try to plan and prepare, but I’ve really been humbled by this experience,” Charles said. “There were so many coincidences that were beyond my control that for me to ever look back and say ‘look at this great thing I did’ would be hubris. I’m definitely a little bit more hands-off right now when it comes to the future.”

Comments

Horace 3 years, 9 months ago

Josh,

I wonder if in your research you found that the Federalist Papers were in many ways, a canard.

They were a sales job on the part of those who were trying to convince the colonies that the federal government really wouldn't have that much power, even though they knew it would. In particular, Hamilton wanted a strong central government to because he understood that was the only way the country would be successful.

I think the federalist papers can be summed up as "don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain."

geekin_topekan 3 years, 9 months ago

I believe that it was Hamilton who presented the idea of the US having a King and even invited Philip of France to fill the position. Phil turned it down.

From the book "Hamilton's Curse" by Thomas DiLorenzo: "Alexander Hamilton was this nation’s first Treasury Secretary, and a defender of the central bank, high taxes, protectionist tariffs, and public debt. Each of these, according to Hamilton, would bring with them untold blessings to the American people if instituted. It was Alexander Hamilton who sought to establish the first central bank. It was Hamilton who instituted the very first “bailouts.” It was Hamilton who unapologetically doled out favors and taxpayer funds to his personal friends and business associates.

tolawdjk 3 years, 9 months ago

So you wrote it and Beck does nothing, sweeps in, and gets top billing and i am guessing the lion's share of the profits?

Congrats on getting your work out there, whatever it took. But 95% of the Best Seller status is due to his name and 97% of the people buying it have no idea it was Co-authored.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of "updating" original documents. Interesting that it is okay to update and reinterpret some of our historic documents, but hands off others.

chootspa 3 years, 9 months ago

They also manipulate the data to create best "sellers" by buying promotional copies for events and whatnot.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

It think it is great whenever we can get the orginal ideas to the masses today. This book is a small step in that direction.

devobrun 3 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like Mr. Charles didn't do a lot of research. His job was rewriting papers that are over 2 hundred years old using modern language. This is translation work. Research would involve contextualizing the papers and finding reasons for their writing.

Not his quest. My guess is that he simply tried to be faithful to the languages. And this isn't poetry either. Nice steering of the discussion toward their veracity, though, Horace.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes the "clown folk" have done some major changing to our system. Think about court decisions in the 60's that transformed previously geography based upper houses in legislatures to strictly population based. This "federal" decision was transformative because it removed the previously more conservative and "hamiltonian" approach that feared unlimited rule by the masses with our checks and balances.

devobrun 3 years, 9 months ago

From Amazon: " Glenn Beck has had them reworked into “modern” English so as to be thoroughly accessible to anyone seeking a better understanding of the Founding Fathers’ intent and meaning when laying the groundwork of our government. Beck provides his own illuminating commentary and annotations and, for a number of the essays, has brought together the viewpoints of both liberal and conservative historians and scholars, making this a fair and insightful perspective on the historical works that remain the primary source for interpreting Constitutional law and the rights of American citizens"

So Beck provided the commentary and annotations. Charles provided the translation. Charles and Beck didn't sit down and work on the book together. If Beck's interpretation is "researched" (I doubt it) then the question of the veracity of the interpretation is directed toward Beck. Horace thinks the whole thing is canard. My guess is that Beck thinks the whole thing is canonical. Charles' contribution was a lot of work.

Good for him. And way to keep pushing, Joshua Charles. Whether you go to law school or not, this is a great thing on a resume. You have demonstrated a work ethic and commitment to task. Jobs await those kinds of people.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

absoulutely--remember we don't know his idealogy--we just know that he has made a positive contribution.

Sprinkles 3 years, 9 months ago

He was involved in many Christian organizations on campus and listened to Glenn Beck, I think we can connect the dots at least a little bit as to what his ideology is.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I guess in the new political correctness that is "wrong" or "bad" ? I think upholding the teachings of Christ is a very good thing not what the liberals here believe.

Kendall Simmons 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually, we don't even know if Beck provided the commentary and annotations. After all, as Charles' introduction says, "Meanwhile Glenn and his team were busy crafting introductions..." For all we know, it was Beck's team that actually did the writing.

bangaranggerg 3 years, 9 months ago

Jim Williamson 3 years, 9 months ago

"Shouldn't Mr. Charles' name be on the front cover, with Beck delivering the 'Preface' or 'Introduction?'"

As long as the checks don't bounce, I'm not sure he cares.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 9 months ago

Glenn Beck is a diamond in the rough? Hardly... Here's a list of the 50 worst things Beck has said on Fox News... http://mediamatters.org/research/201104060047

Frankly I'm surprised that someone who is a fan of Glenn Beck is intelligent enough to go to KU and write a book.

None the less, good for him for being successful, even if Beck did get most of the profit and credit.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

my, my, my, we are judgmental do you evaluate all of your liberal politcal commentators with the same level of evaluation? (Rachel Maddow comes to mind...)

devobrun 3 years, 9 months ago

If you view Charles' work as translation, then he didn't author anything. Had Beck not commented, or annotated, then the book would have been a straightforward translation of the Federalist papers. Happens all the time. War and Peace by Tolstoy, translated by Mortimer Snerd....or whomever. Beck is basically stealing. By putting his two cents in, he uses the work of the original authors, the work of Joshua Charles and then puts his big fat name on it, because he provided the rimshots, the rah rahs.

How 'bout we have Mr Charles translate the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and any other old government document. I'll annotate and comment, put devo on the cover and make.......squadoosh (sp?).

devobrun 3 years, 9 months ago

Since we live in a time where entertainment is the only value left by which to judge words, deeds, or ideas.......there is nothing wrong with clown performances. Unless they don't entertain, in which case, they are wrong. If you are happy with the performance, then buy the book and believe the words. Or watch West Wing, or Comedy Central or .......never mind.

Mickey Mantle is a hero. Claude Shannon is not.

devobrun 3 years, 9 months ago

But all are clowns today, Red. It is all entertainment. We believe because we are entertained. Good clowns, like you see on Comedy Central, are good. That is why they are good, because they entertain and are good and right. Because they make us feel good, because they are good.....and I am good,.....but you are fat......and not entertaining.....or maybe you are insulting, which is bad....and hurt feelings......

If values are defined by Rachel Maddow, Glenn Beck, Barry O., Michael....no wait...Sarah Palin, and hundreds of other entertainers.......then take your pick, Red....take your pick. Create a reality that makes you feel good, man. Good luck with it. Hope it works out for you. I don't watch entertainment. I don't listen to entertainment. I listened to Mozart once.....what a useless bunch of chaos. Pointless drivel. Heard some Hip-hop once, same thing, with F-bombs.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

observation- The Obama and Sebelius administrations were the ultimate three ring circus if it is clowns you are interested in look at Jeremiah Wright and the Pentagon bombers for some real entertainment from the left...

Bob Forer 3 years, 9 months ago

I am waiting for the Cliff Notes version.

Bob Forer 3 years, 9 months ago

So now Glen Beck is a constitutional scholar. Oh, the joy.

Bob Forer 3 years, 9 months ago

So now Glen Beck is a constitutional scholar. Oh, the joy.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 9 months ago

OK, one more bitter person comment...

Glen Beck is a scumbag. Just listen to him go on and on about how much he hates 9/11 victims families...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf33g9...

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

really? I guess that makes you the "politically correct" judge of the universe. I guess everyone has to agree with "liberalism" for it to be o. k. in your world. Maybe we can all agree to have differences of opinion without having our "intellectual skills" attacked. The left seems incapable of dealing with issues without making personal attacks.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

You mean he helped Beck write the book, and Beck gets most of the money.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

that is how it works...Beck is the reason it was published...

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

Few people know this, but I wrote most of Stephen King's books. I just let him get all the credit and profit.

I'm also shocked to learn that Glenn Beck doesn't write his own books. Shocked I tell you. Shocked.

Irenaku 3 years, 9 months ago

beatrice: good one. I wouldn't be so quick to associate myself with Glen Beck...especially in a progressive community like Lawrence...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 9 months ago

Headline should have read "Local nut job makes good."

oldvet 3 years, 9 months ago

Why? You haven't made good, have you?

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

here we go again with an attack --"nut job" wow--could you not just address issues where you disagree with him? Why did you have to attack him like that? He obviously is not a "nut job" but a very able academic!

Sigmund 3 years, 9 months ago

Irenaku (anonymous) says… "I wouldn't be so quick to associate myself with Glen Beck...especially in a progressive community like Lawrence..."

I wouldn't lay awake worrying about it. I doubt seriously Joshua would want to stay in Lawrence or pursue graduate work at KU, no matter how "open-minded" Larryville thinks it is. It is also doubtful that Joshua's "modern language" version of the Federalist Papers would have ended up on a best seller list without Glenn's assistance, he sent the manuscript to several publishers without success. How the "Original Argument" was produced and by who is clearly revealed in the books forward. Whatever business and financial arrangement I can only assume it was freely agreed to and mutually beneficial.

ProJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, because Barack Obama wrote every word in his book.

bevy 3 years, 9 months ago

Well said, Sigmund. How many of James Patterson's "bestsellers" are now written by others? I checked into it - he keeps a stable of sorts, of authors who want an entree into the published book world. He gives them ideas or helps them polish their own. When the novel is published, Patterson's name is in big letters on the cover. But guess what - that's why people buy them! The new author gets (I assume) money and (I am certain) name recognition that they can use to further their own careers.

Kind of like an apprenticeship, I guess.

urthatguy66044 3 years, 9 months ago

Well obviously KU isn't providing that great of an education.. this article actually made me a little sick and sad to be a KU fan.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

well you better wake up and realize that not everyone here agrees with the liberal agenda and that Kansas is a conservative state and we are paying the bill and sponsoring K U. I think it is very clear that some of the "progressives" at K U need to have a little "diversity" and include some conservative opinion! You might start waking up to the fact that them vast majority of Kansas does not agree with the liberal idealogy at all.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

He is an American. Sorry that his Kenyan heritage bothers you so.

newmedia 3 years, 9 months ago

Coming from California, passing through KU and still not a flaming lib. I guess there is hope for the youth of America.

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

Josh has really put a noose around his neck by associating himself with Beck. He will likely never be able to shake that. What a way to ruin a career before it starts. However, if your going to hitch your horse to Beck you must be betting the farm on being supported by the wacko's of the world. Works for Beck. Just remember your only writing fiction.

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

There are lots of best selling authors out there. I simply pointed out Beck might not be the best one to associate yourself with if your an aspiring young author. Now if you want to present fantasy and fiction as facts then that is what you will type-cast yourself as with Beck. Shock value. Nothing more than that. You notice how advertisers abandoned Beck. Who will abandon Josh? No grapes required

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

"Can you back that up?" bell says

Yep, I can back that up with Beck. How many thousand links would you like me to provide. Beck made his bed, I didn't and I wouldn't allow him to make mine.

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, I was referring to video clips of Beck discussing the book as well as other video clips of Beck establishing himself as a nutcase. But your right, they probably don't represent the truth.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

This is another example of the liberal "political correctness" that has infected K U liberals. Wake up and realize that the country is moving away from the tired old bankrupt liberalism of the past!

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

Liberals had nothing to do with Beck, He is a self made self promoted wacko wingnut job. Now, what does that have to say about "just pull my nose ring when you want to tell me what to think" conservatives. And note, I was careful to not include all conservatives in this revelation to you.

christy kennedy 3 years, 9 months ago

I wonder what's on the actual reading list of the average Glenn Beck fan?

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

This and anything having to do with hating liberals, Palin and Bachmann.

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

my pet goat, curious george and clifford

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

This just in, Ku graduate transcribes book for fred phelps " What the Bible really meant"

Haiku_Cuckoo 3 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe all the intolerance and negativity on this board. I'm not a fan of Beck or his syrupy pseudo-patriotic delivery, but Joshua should be commended. How many of you have had your work appear on the best seller list ever, let alone at the young age of 23? The kid didn't give up and is now enjoying the fruits of his labor. Who cares if Beck is the main reason it's a best seller? Even if Joshua is only seeing 5% of Beck's profits, he's still making more than he would if he was waiting tables plus it probably opens up job opportunities in the conservative circuit that he associates with. Joshua, you and I may not see eye to eye politically, but I tip my hat to you!

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, I guess the moral majority has spoken. twice. We all stand corrected and shamed.

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

i would suggest you get your head out of the tomato beds...

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

I think you miss my point, mostly. These forums are drug down to the lowest common denominator of vitriol and name calling by the insistence of the many poster who very quickly resort to that. I am amused at the people who stoop to commenting on these boards , as self declared spell checkers or in yours or cuckoo's case, put your self up on a pedestal and then use that pedestal to essentially denigrate other posters. That in of it self, is in fact, another form of name calling in most peoples case who assume that position on these forums. I simply pointed out that "here we go again." another poster declares themselves " the moral majority" I use moral majority sarcastically not literally. I am not familiar with you or cuckoo and you might well be the exception. I would be all for civil discourse and if these forums raised their standard to that, I would have more than 300 plus post in three years. As for your comment to tomato, I would put him/her in the unusual category of posters who stay above the vitriol and name calling. I think if you truly were trying to stay above that which you condemn then "the head out of the tomato bed" part contributed nothing to your comment to tomato. Now, in a broader overview of the situation, there are few people more guilty of the name calling and vitriol and divisiveness than Glen Beck. I listened to his show last night and that was pretty much his theme. So, one might expect some sparring on an article about beck. He has made a fine living on being that way.

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

No - I am a Lawrence blow hard who likes to be critical of things I know nothing about and comment about them in comments sections.........90

I would interpret this as a backhanded way of describing(name calling) those you don't agree with .

----Yes - I have read the book and made up my own mind about the work. .......1 I would interpret this as describing those you might agree with.

Your really skirting on name calling, no?

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

"However, I do think they do their research and you can learn a lot from him."

I actually get thrown into having to listen or at least hear his shows, therefore I couldn't disagree with you more .

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

Try not to have to listen to to many opinion shows presented as news.

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

Congrats to Mr Charles for getting money from the private sector to do something he was already willing to do in a rougher manner for free. His story is much more inspiring than the one about the government employee complaining that the government won't grant him some free money on top of his salary so he can "volunteer" to help kids or whatever.

On a side note, I will volunteer to catch bass if the government will fund a new bass boat for me. $40,000 is all I need Momma Government. Please! I'll even tell you how many fish I catch so you can fudge it into your global warming computer models.

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

good point, making money in the private sector is good even if it is unscrupulous.

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

Are the words unscrupulous on paper or just inside your head?

MissEll 3 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations on co-writing with a well known author, and having a published work at the age of 23. There will always be differing opinions on politics, just like everything else. The talent and ambition of a KU student to be published should be praised, no matter how different one's view are of theirs.

Haiku_Cuckoo 3 years, 9 months ago

Pat O'Reily? Do you mean Bill O'Reilly the TV host or Pat Riley the former coach of the L.A. Lakers? How do you think you'd do in a fight against Ted Nugent? He's old but he seems crazy enough to put up a good fight.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

really--"fist fight" that is so mature and "open-minded" for a liberal...

MarcoPogo 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm a moderate and I'm ready for some paintball action.

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

You would hit people because you don't like what they say? I'm 40% psychotic and I wouldn't even do that.

"Pat Riley the former coach of the L.A. Lakers?"

He's probably a Clippers fan.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

One person writes something and now it is "you libs," as if it applies to all? Can I apply that logic next time someone identified as a conservative says something ourageous or even racist, and then apply it to all of "you cons"?

I thought "you cons" were bright enough to recognize the difference between individuals and groups.

Sigmund 3 years, 9 months ago

bangaranggerg (anonymous) says… "Didn't Glenn Beck murder a young girl in 1990? In any case I hope Joshua didn't get paid in shares of Goldline stock."

Are you sure you aren't confusing Beck with Ted Kennedy killing Mary Jo Kopechne in the late 60's? BTW, Goldline doesn't sell "shares," it sells gold.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe the only Senator in your lifetime who's publicly acknowledged the same, but to say the only? Hardly!

heygary 3 years, 9 months ago

Coming from California, graduating from KU ... and still not a flaming liberal! There may be hope for this country yet.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 9 months ago

I am actually quite impressed with his stick-with-it attitude. Glenn Beck would never have found/achieved sobriety had he not had the same drive.

We could learn a lot from them both really.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 9 months ago

I cannot think of any reason that a sane and rational person would have anything whatsoever to do with wingnuts like Glenn Beck.

woodscolt 3 years, 9 months ago

Got one for ya. Money over everything

Synjyn Smythe 3 years, 9 months ago

The above comment list is, overwhelmingly, as fine of an example of liberal envy and vitriol as one could wish for.

Sigmund 3 years, 9 months ago

Agnostick (anonymous) says… "Granted, it wasn't Beck who chased down Charles--but why not do the right thing and give the real work horse on this wagon the proper credit?"

Joshua's work was given extensive credit in the Forward of the book, but "The Original Argument" by Joshua Charles was rejected by several publishing houses and had it eventually been published would have likely sold a handful of copies. "The Original Argument" by Glenn Beck with Joshua Charles made it to the NY Times Best seller list. I think it is pretty obvious that this collaboration served everyone's best interests, despite your opinion.

bookemdano 3 years, 9 months ago

I see this as no different than Fred Thompson hawking reverse mortgages or Alex Trebek shilling for term life insurance on TV.

The gullible will buy anything with a celebrity's name on it--whether the celebrity had anything to do with it or (most often) not.

Plenty of other examples--like perfume and clothing lines. Pshh yeah like Jennifer Lopez had anything to do with that perfume they stamped her name on. I guess people think it's the stuff she wears herself?

It's disgusting and deplorable, but sadly that's just the way our society is. Slap a celebrity's name on something = cha-ching! Who cares about ethics when you're raking in the dough, right? It's the American way, apparently.

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I think the bottom line is that our historical documents are being made more available to the popular reader--including the young people of our nation--and that is a good thing. No matter what ones opinion is about Mr. Beck this young man has made a positive contribution to our society!

MarcoPogo 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm not sure that this tactic is any more enlightening than when "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" was released. True, there's a spin on the originals but...really?

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

The Original Argument and Zombies.

Now that is a best-seller for sure. I'll write it and let Glenn Beck and Stephen King claim co-authorship.

Kendall Simmons 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, we now have some of the Federalist Papers presented in a 21st century conservative, Christian point of view with a devoutly Christian introduction to lead many readers into believing that these are the Federalist Papers, and that Hamilton, Jay and Madison were God-fearing Christians, and that this book was God's divine will.

catsmeow 3 years, 9 months ago

Great work, Joshua. Congratulations. How fortunate you are to have best selling author of both fact and fiction, Glenn Beck, embellish and promote your excellent work. Very interprising young man are you. Now, where and when can I meet up with you to have you sign my copy that I bought the first week it was out?

ProJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Good job Joshua! I wish more Lawrence citizens would support you as well. You have done a lot for our community spiritually. Dear LJWorld elites stop trash talking (threatening to fist punch) Beck and congratulate the accomplishment of this young man.

bangaranggerg 3 years, 9 months ago

voevoda 3 years, 9 months ago

Whatever else Glenn Beck is, one thing is clear from this story: he is a plagiarizer. He takes credit for writing that was done by someone else.

fiddleback 3 years, 9 months ago

It's a very fortuitous sequence of events, and for the intense interest and effort the kids deserves credit. That said, short of Limbaugh, Coulter, Palin, or Bachmann, I wish he had virtually anybody else to which to hitch his horse. But there is no modern George Will or William Buckley, and this current crop of intemperate demagogues happily consigns itself to the furthest margins of credibility where only the most angry, frustrated and unquestioningly binary-thinking will follow. In their passionate bubbles these devotees fantasize about revolution, but what they are really experiencing is party fragmentation and fanboy-ism. How long will Charles ride this circuit before he realizes that most of these folks are sadly damaged goods? And that they might as well be going to hear indie bands for all the change it will affect? Pluralism's a b*tch. Enjoy your ever-smaller tents -- I can practically hear the pacemakers.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

Good god, have you seen Bachmann's latest lie? She tried to claim a woman told her that her daughter was mentally retarded as a result of the HPV vaccine. There has been no side effects like that for this vaccine. I suppose she'll say she "misspoke", like she "misspoke" all her other lies. I'm sure Beck, Limbaugh and company will start repeating this lie, and all the morons will believe the lies. A lie is a lie, not misspeak. And she calls herself a Christian? I put her on the level of the Catholic priests who sexually abuse kids. Go back to your devil worshipping, Michele. He is more your style. Disgusting.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

Don't ever go to a doctor. They are all out to get you. I am sure that the elders would tell you they are very happy about the polio vaccine. Far more people died from polio, than have died from the vaccine.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 9 months ago

Count yourself very lucky to get any credit at all from a narcissist and probably one that is delusional.

Glenn Beck was probably removed from fox news for that very reason.