Archive for Monday, September 12, 2011

Early Sunday fire causes $264,000 in damages at home in 1300 block of Tennessee Street

September 12, 2011

A Sunday morning fire at a house in the 1300 block of Tennessee Street that displaced several Kansas University students has caused $264,000 in damage, fire officials said.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical Chief Mark Bradford said Monday the fire was still under investigation but initially investigators have concluded the fire was an accident.

No one was injured. One KU student, Andrew Adford, said Sunday he awoke at 6 a.m. and noticed a couch on the front porch was on fire, so he began to wake up other people in the house. Bradford said everyone in the house escaped without injury, but the fire caused major damage to the three-story residence.

Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, said residents declined assistance for lodging but the chapter provided financial assistance for food and clothing to seven of the 10 residents. Blocher said Monday the Red Cross was still working to see if two residents needed assistance and one person declined help. She also said the residents would be working with KU about possible help replacing items such as textbooks and other school supplies.

Comments

Eride 3 years, 3 months ago

The material a lot of those couches are made out of are highly flammable. If it was already on fire it most likely was a fireball. They wouldn't have been able to get close to it much less move it.

Hope they are ready to get sued by their landlord...

imastinker 3 years, 3 months ago

Not anymore. Try to burn a couch now....it won't work.

You are probably right about this one though, if it was left on a porch it was likely old and nasty.

Eride 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I was making an assumption based off the fact it was outside. A lot of the houses in that area have a ton of old, ratty couches sitting outside on the porch.

Thankfully people no longer make furniture out of that material, it is so incredibly flammable. These kids don't get it. They stick those coaches out there or inside and smoke on them without realizing that one small mishap and everything is going to go up in a blaze.

Grump 3 years, 3 months ago

There's a house in the 1300 block of Tennessee that's worth at least $264,000?

broadpaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Not sure what all was valued at $264k, but with 10 residents I'm sure many of them had expensive electronics, clothes, etc. that may have been added to the damage if they were destroyed.

kufan1146 3 years, 3 months ago

I was curious what my old place at 1311 Tennessee was worth one day and did some property value searching (all property values are online, btw) and it was a small, 6 apartment complex worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $450,000. I would guess it took up two lots.

I imagine the homes there are worth so much because of their proximity to campus, not because they are of any quality whatsoever.

classclown 3 years, 3 months ago

A couple of questions.

How are they able to have 10 people renting in one house? Is it a frat house kind of set up or something? Or were they violating an ordinance? I'm not talking about the 'three unrelated people to a house' one, but is there a limit on these houses that have been converted into apartments? I'm under the impression there is.

Also, isn't it illegal to have a coach on a front porch? I seem to remember there being a big brouhaha about this awhile back, but don't know if it ever became a reality or not.

flyin_squirrel 3 years, 3 months ago

Class clown,

This is what is amusing about that ordinance. The City has been after the big boarding houses because they sometimes have 10 people in them, yet a house that was illegally turned into apartments many years ago, can have as many as 4 unrelated people in each apartment. So technically that house which was 4 apartments could have had 16 people legally living in it.

zackattackku 3 years, 3 months ago

Dunno about it being illegal for coach to be on your front porch, but I believe, I know for a fact, that a couch is illegal on the front porch. I lived in a 4 bedroom with three roommates down between 10th and 11th on Tennessee. I was told one person per bedroom in the structure. Therefore a 4 bedroom house has 1 person per bedroom. I am probably wrong on that but I lived in a good sized house with three roommates and it was fine. just two others wouldn't have made the place affordable at all.

Jean Robart 3 years, 3 months ago

as well as having a couch on the front, why would one want a coach on their front porch?

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

I am glad no one died. Lucky and alert for the guy to get everyone out.

redweathered 3 years, 3 months ago

I have lived in that house before.

There are 2 "bedrooms" in the top apartment 3 on the 2nd floor 2 on the first floor A basement apartment And an addition in the back with I believe 2 bedrooms (never went in there).

There were up to 10 people living in the place when I lived there. The back 2 apartments have separate entrances but the 3 front apartments all use the front door. The front 3 apartments share the top apartment's laundry room and the 2nd floor's kitchen is a bedroom as well.

WEIRD house.

They are lucky that the guy/gal in the third floor apt in the ONE bedroom with a fire escape was there that morning because that door has its own lock and they would've been stranded in the house otherwise.

JerryStubbs 3 years, 3 months ago

One of the problems with having an old, comfy couch on the front porch is that just about anybody that happens to be passing thru the neighborhood in the early hours of the morning can stop and take a nap there, and if they happen to smoke and then and fall asleep the whole house can catch on fire.

Dont bedbugs like that kind of environment, too?

3 years, 3 months ago

what was the address at this house?

Sunny Parker 3 years, 3 months ago

The property owner should sue the tenant for being an idiot

beeshlii 3 years, 3 months ago

alcohol prolly was involve knowing how KU students party 24/7.