Advertisement

Archive for Monday, September 12, 2011

Early Sunday fire causes $264,000 in damages at home in 1300 block of Tennessee Street

September 12, 2011

Advertisement

A Sunday morning fire at a house in the 1300 block of Tennessee Street that displaced several Kansas University students has caused $264,000 in damage, fire officials said.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical Chief Mark Bradford said Monday the fire was still under investigation but initially investigators have concluded the fire was an accident.

No one was injured. One KU student, Andrew Adford, said Sunday he awoke at 6 a.m. and noticed a couch on the front porch was on fire, so he began to wake up other people in the house. Bradford said everyone in the house escaped without injury, but the fire caused major damage to the three-story residence.

Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, said residents declined assistance for lodging but the chapter provided financial assistance for food and clothing to seven of the 10 residents. Blocher said Monday the Red Cross was still working to see if two residents needed assistance and one person declined help. She also said the residents would be working with KU about possible help replacing items such as textbooks and other school supplies.

Comments

beeshlii 2 years, 7 months ago

alcohol prolly was involve knowing how KU students party 24/7.

0

sunny 2 years, 7 months ago

The property owner should sue the tenant for being an idiot

0

2 years, 7 months ago

what was the address at this house?

0

JerryStubbs 2 years, 7 months ago

One of the problems with having an old, comfy couch on the front porch is that just about anybody that happens to be passing thru the neighborhood in the early hours of the morning can stop and take a nap there, and if they happen to smoke and then and fall asleep the whole house can catch on fire.

Dont bedbugs like that kind of environment, too?

0

redweathered 2 years, 7 months ago

I have lived in that house before.

There are 2 "bedrooms" in the top apartment 3 on the 2nd floor 2 on the first floor A basement apartment And an addition in the back with I believe 2 bedrooms (never went in there).

There were up to 10 people living in the place when I lived there. The back 2 apartments have separate entrances but the 3 front apartments all use the front door. The front 3 apartments share the top apartment's laundry room and the 2nd floor's kitchen is a bedroom as well.

WEIRD house.

They are lucky that the guy/gal in the third floor apt in the ONE bedroom with a fire escape was there that morning because that door has its own lock and they would've been stranded in the house otherwise.

0

Keith Richards 2 years, 7 months ago

The house is valued at 277,400 this past year. I believe there are 5 separate apartments in the house, ranging from 1-2 bedrooms in each.

0

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

I am glad no one died. Lucky and alert for the guy to get everyone out.

0

classclown 2 years, 7 months ago

A couple of questions.

How are they able to have 10 people renting in one house? Is it a frat house kind of set up or something? Or were they violating an ordinance? I'm not talking about the 'three unrelated people to a house' one, but is there a limit on these houses that have been converted into apartments? I'm under the impression there is.

Also, isn't it illegal to have a coach on a front porch? I seem to remember there being a big brouhaha about this awhile back, but don't know if it ever became a reality or not.

0

Pywacket 2 years, 7 months ago

I wonder whether any of the 10 had renter's insurance (which is very affordable). This is something I emphasized to my kids when they moved out--don't ever get caught uninsured, especially if you're in a house with roommates. It takes just one drunk or sleepy person with a cigarette to cause a disaster like this. For that matter, a lightning strike or electrical problem could destroy everything just as easily.

It's so fortunate that someone was awake at that time of the morning and noticed the fire. This could have been a horrible tragedy.

0

Grump 2 years, 7 months ago

There's a house in the 1300 block of Tennessee that's worth at least $264,000?

0

frankfussman 2 years, 7 months ago

Why not move the couch off the porch?

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.