Archive for Friday, September 9, 2011

Suburban Newspapers of America names LJWorld.com top local news website; Journal-World takes third place in Newspaper of the Year contest

September 9, 2011, 11:00 a.m. Updated September 9, 2011, 5:03 p.m.

LJWorld.com was named the top local news website Friday by Suburban Newspapers of America for daily newspapers with less than 40,000 daily circulation. Websites were judged on treatment of breaking news, breadth and depth of content and amount and timeliness of updating information.

The Lawrence Journal-World also finished third in SNA's 2011 Newspaper of the Year contest. The Galveston, Texas, Daily News finished first and The Post Star of Glens Falls, N.Y., was second in the Newspaper of the Year judging.

Here’s what the judges said about the Journal-World: “Great use of graphics and photos; clean and engaging front-page layouts. I found ads pretty non-invasive and thought their placement along the bottom and right sides of each page worked well. The bin Laden front page really impressed me.”

The Journal-World was named SNA’s Newspaper of the Year in its circulation category (30,000 or less) in 2010, 2009, 2007 and 2005, and placed second in 2006.

SNA is composed of more than 2,000 newspapers across North America.

Comments

TNPlates 3 years, 10 months ago

So we're officially a Suburb now? Great.

d_prowess 3 years, 10 months ago

3rd place? Have they been reading Tait's stuff in Sports? That guy's writing alone should have pushed the LJW into 1st place!

classclown 3 years, 10 months ago

d_prowess (anonymous) says…

=========================================

Maybe that's why they got as high as 3rd.

skinny 3 years, 10 months ago

I find that hard to believe. The LJWorld is the worst paper I've ever read. No dailey court, police, or arrest reporting. When they do they refuse to print the names. I am 50 years old and have lived in several cities and the LJWorld is the only paper I have refused to pay for!

ashs1414 3 years, 10 months ago

But yet you still read the online portion?

Curtis Lange 3 years, 10 months ago

I just started a KC Star subscription instead of LJWorld. I understand the number of people that read the LJWorld is far, far fewer than the KC Star, but the price difference was ridiculous!

Liberty275 3 years, 10 months ago

Of course you win top web site... I post here.

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

A good newspaper is almost as hard to find as a quality cheeseburger & I sure haven't found one of tjhose on this award winning site.

Congrats to LJW. I love this site & enjoy my early morning hard copy, thin as it may be. Thank you to my paper carrier, too.

Maybe it's the extra gin,but alla youse snarky hatin' sunsabiatches perplex me. Why ya gotta act like that?

david_ 3 years, 10 months ago

Amazing how does this dirty little gossip rag win anything. Look at how they let losers anonymously humiliate people on here through the dirty littlte rag' story blogs. Just a day or two ago a poor gentleman was kind enough to answer the rag's OTS question and allow them to put his pic with it. Then this dirty little rag let's some anonymous loser post comments saying the gentleman looked like a pervert. To me LJWorld stands for low class journalism of the world, others call it urinal world .

Lawrence Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

Comments such as david and skinny are unbelievable.

There are very few papers in the United States that feature such creativity on their pages. The web layout is very, very good. I especially congratulate all the fine reporters and the Managing Editor for their role in making the Journal World what it is today. And even though I often don't agree with Dolph Simons, he has had a tremendous role over the past years in making the Journal World what it is.

I think it deserves this award and a lot more.

That's not to say that I don't find problems with the Journal World. For example, the Haskell Story- http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/sep/09/haskell-offering-tours-large-medicine-wheel-create/?city_local is already off the web front page. To me, that's an incredible story - but they had no pictures, and didn't begin to have the textual ollow up which they should have had. That could be a New York Times story, if they would have done it right.

They should also carry the BBC television live, French TV live and Russian TV live, so that people would have a much better knowledge of internatIonal events. And there are other things down this line that they could do to make it an even better newspaper.

Let some of these commenters try to do a better story by themselves. I would like to see it. Their comments are full of prejudice and often not even well written.

But I have seen lots of newspapers, including European and African, which I read daily, and the Journal-World ranks at the top

Congratulations to all the staff and management at the Journal-World. It is the result of many people's work over a long period of time!