Archive for Thursday, September 8, 2011

Secretary of State Kris Kobach may be heading west — to Douglas County

September 8, 2011

— Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach may be moving to Douglas County.

Kobach, a Republican, has purchased land near Lecompton.

Whether he and his family move there depends on the housing market, he said.

Kobach lives in what is known as the Piper community in Kansas City, Kan., which is about 55 miles from Topeka.

Kobach said the commute is costing him about $30 per day in gasoline.

Comments

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

BigAl 3 years, 1 month ago

No hate. Just wondering why we STILL haven't seen any documented cases of voter fraud in Kansas. Is that "disgusting or untruthful?"

By the way, I am not a "liberal". I am a proud independent and a Vietnam Veteran. Unlike some, I don't lock-step vote party lines.

jesse499 3 years, 1 month ago

I STILL haven't seen any document cases of plane hyjacking YET in Kansas but we have laws against it. Just saying I would rather make sure that voter fraud is against the law and have a way to prevent it then to find out that its been going on and not being caught.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

There were already laws agains fraudulent voting, and given that there is zero evidence of voter fraud anywhere in Kansas, the old laws must have been doing the job just fine.

But we know that the point of these laws isn't to prevent that which already wasn't happening. Its purpose is first and foremost to get Kobach's name in the headlines, and secondarily to suppress voter turnout-- much easier for the oligarchs to control the outcomes of elections when nobody votes.

jesse499 3 years, 1 month ago

Let me see no laws on the books the last election everyone could vote and we got BrownbUck and Omygod so no control worked didn't it? Zero evidence of voter fraud or intelligent life at the polls to if you ask me.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

Umm, Ok, whatever, dude. I'm sure you're trying to make a point in there somewhere.

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

You mean civil like this: "Anyone who still believes and worships Obama at this point, is a complete and total idiot." or was "looney liberals" a term of endearment? Guess my "looney" veiws were good enough when I was fighting to protect your (far far far from the front line butt) freedoms. Happy you are safe and free (as free as one can be in with the leadership that we have in this state) with the blanket of freedom that i helped to provide you. Carry on now!

rrh 3 years, 1 month ago

Heck, there is plenty of land in Shawnee County, too. Shorter commutes make sense (cents) these days

SDTPlant 3 years, 1 month ago

Lets get that State Capitol building up on wheels and move it all to Lawrence/Lecompton. Better yet, to Wichita. They've wanted it for a long period of time. Then, either Kris K Kobach will have a much shorter commute or, he'll be closer to the cowboy capitol of KS and further away from here.

footnote2 3 years, 1 month ago

$30 for gas per day at, say, $3.60 a gallon works out to 8.3 gal. a day. He's driving 110 miles. Isn't that 13.25 mpg? I would look into a more fuel-efficient vehicle before packing up and moving to the wilds of Douglas County.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 1 month ago

You know he drives some huge gas guzzling SUV like a Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition that has never even seen a dirt road.

frank mcguinness 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you for the first time EVER!

somebodynew 3 years, 1 month ago

D*&#, Lecompton used to be such a nice place to live.

I guess there goes the neighborhood.

naturalist 3 years, 1 month ago

I think I hear SCHWADA when I read this. Maybe it was a political move to give him a nice price on some land on Farmers turnpike....

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

We don't want that arshole out her in Northwestern Douglas County!

somebodynew 3 years, 1 month ago

• 1 blindrabbit.

This bothers me because there is a builder/developer clearing some land near me. And by clearing I mean taking anything that looks like a twig and bulldozing it. Since he has told 3 different stories to 3 different neighbors noone know what is going on. Please don't let it be anything to do with KKK.

Scribbler 3 years, 1 month ago

That seems to work out to about 13 mi/gal. Wonder if he looked at a Prius?

irvan moore 3 years, 1 month ago

doesn't he get a state vehicle with his fuel paid for?

Barry Watts 3 years, 1 month ago

Is this blog for junior high students? Because that sure is what is sounds like. Grow up.

statesman 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't know why Kobach is relocating. It's not like he's going to be having his current job for the rest of his life. Hopefully, his commuting inconvenience will be over with in three years and he can find some other cushy job in KC. We have lots of state employees commuting from KC to Topeka that make only a fraction of Kobach's salary and have been doing it for years.

Shelley Bock 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe he wants to gain residency in the 2nd Congressional District?

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

bgwmail: Just shows how despised Herr Kobach is here. Of all places to live in Kansas he might choose the Lawrence/Douglas County area with it's more progressive population. His choice, but he represents repression and the throttling of civil and voters rights with all of it's right wing religious bigotry. I welcome him just the same as I would Phill Klein.

Barry Watts 3 years, 1 month ago

As long as people keep using terms like "Herr Kobach", "KKK", ect., no one is going to take you seriously. He may choose to live in Lawrence/Douglas County and its "more progressive population", but many progressives are choosing to live within one of the most conservative states in the U.S. Go figure.

handley 3 years, 1 month ago

And they expect SRS people that have no money to travel to Topeka or overland park for services.

irvan moore 3 years, 1 month ago

maybe he wants to come live with us and learn our ways, it might be the first step in a journey of enlightenment.

KS 3 years, 1 month ago

I guess I agree with "bgwmail". A lot of folks here are certainly showing their inteligence and it is not very flattering to them. Who frankly cares where he lives and why is this a subject for the LJW to publish? I know why? They only want to stir up some controversy in these comments. Next, just watch how long this will remain online with the LJW. I still see that age old story on here about Brownback being at Perry's big revival event in Texas. Who frankly cares? Get a life folks.

somebodynew 3 years, 1 month ago

Well frankly, I wish a lot of people care - - if fact I wish a lot more had cared BEFORE the election.

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

Kobach hates people of colour plain and simple. In fact Kobach is so rascist that he might even get a Country Music Award!

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

Wir wollen keine redneck politische und kulturelle faschisten hier!

KS 3 years, 1 month ago

somedude20 - And just what color are these people that you think he hates?

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

brown non-white ones...the ones he is shaking down across the US with his bs new laws

Mike Ford 3 years, 1 month ago

let's see...Lecompton held the proslavery constitutional meeting in 1855 and was pro slavery during bleeding kansas and still has a southern leaning feeling anytime I drive though it...he must be looking for like minded people you know.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't see any indication that Kobach is particularly racist. He's certainly a self-absorbed, narcissistic jerk, but that just means he'll stab anyone in the back if it furthers his agenda. Racial and ethnic minorities are merely easy targets who just happen to vote for the other team. As such, they are nothing more than ripe demagogic fruit laid out specifically for his picking.

lunacydetector 3 years, 1 month ago

keep your friends close, and your enemies closer......he should move to old west lawrence, but would enlightened lawrencians show tolerance?......i doubt it.

tolawdjk 3 years, 1 month ago

In news across the border, voter fraud was discovered.

Thank goodness we have laws to stop this.