Archive for Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Federal judge orders release of owner of the former Yellow House Store in Lawrence

September 6, 2011

A federal judge Tuesday morning ordered Guy Neighbors, an owner of the former Yellow House Store in Lawrence, to be released from custody on bond pending his trial in a stolen goods case.

Neighbors, 53, had been in custody since May 2009 when a magistrate judge ruled he violated conditions of his bond because of an email he sent criticizing federal prosecutors and witnesses. In December 2009, U.S. District Judge Carlos Murguia had declared him not mentally competent to assist in his defense. Neighbors had been in custody for treatment in Butner, N.C., until a ruling from a 10th Circuit Court of Appeals panel.

Murguia last week reversed his ruling and declared Neighbors competent to stand trial after attorneys brought up findings in a new evaluation, and his defense attorney Tuesday asked Murguia also to release Neighbors on bond.

In the main case against Neighbors, federal prosecutors accuse him of selling stolen goods from the secondhand store, which had operated at 1904 Mass.

In January, his wife Carrie Neighbors, 50, was sentenced to serve eight years in prison after a jury convicted her in the case. She is appealing the verdict, and the couple for several years has accused police and prosecutors of corruption while maintaining they did not knowingly sell stolen goods.

A motion hearing in the Guy Neighbors case is scheduled for Oct. 24.

Comments

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Where are the usual suspects on this sort of thread?

Steve Jacob 3 years, 3 months ago

Just out on bond. I hope he can stay far away from this forum and concentrate fully on his trial.

BruceWayne 3 years, 3 months ago

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Wilford oh Wilford......Oh my do we ever need Wilford Brimley as he appeared in Absence of Malice to clear this up!

.......federal prosecutors accuse him of selling stolen goods from the secondhand store, which had operated at 1904 Mass..........

???State secrets, nuclear weapon codes, fencing stolen goods to bring in underage girls selling them into slavery without wearing a seatbelt, terrorism, jumping off sides on the 1 yard line????

...........his wife Carrie Neighbors, 50, was sentenced to serve eight years in prison after a jury convicted her in the case. She is appealing the verdict.........

I just do not get this whole thing. On the other side of thinking, if it is as the Yellow House people say it is, some television or movie producer would have made this into a movie.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 3 months ago

I loved Brimley's character in that movie.

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 3 months ago

Sweet, Will Yellow House have a grand reopening later this week?

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

Is that their new location below the bridge along 23rd street just east of Leanard avenue?

been_there 3 years, 3 months ago

Wait, are my car doors locked? Better check the garage too.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

It's really a bad deal for GN. He is finally out of jail but his wife is IN jail. Gotta be really frustrating for him.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

autie, a commenter that uses the moniker edmclinn claims to know all about being tapped.

He says it costs $5,000 to have your truck checked for bugs.

His exact statement was: "Got 5000.00 for me? That's the cost of bringing in a professional to detect the devices."

see: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/sep...

CalamityKim72 3 years, 3 months ago

Not to fuel Lawrence's finest fans, but my husband and I have had bad experiences with them and their lack of following up on reported stolen property. Back in 2009, our home was robbed as we were moving out of it. Numerous tools and "cords", for their copper, were stolen. We called the police and filed a report with a detailed item list, went through the whole nine yards of fingerprinting items in the house even. The officer that went through our house was very detailed and professional. Jayhawk Pawn had in the mean time, purchased an antique level from the theives, one that was on a police list as stolen property.Jayhawk Pawn owner was approached about the level and he said the only way to get it back was to pay him what he paid for it. When asked what would happen if we brought a police report back, he simply replied, I'm not going to GIVE it back without getting my money back. Aren't they also, like Yellow House, "required" to list all items bought and run them through the police list of stolen items? Items were also found and personally recovered at 12th St recyclers. Now, where was my follow-up with the LPD? WE, my husband and I, recovered our property and found the theives on our own, and then when my husband was confronting them, I was on the phone with 911 and was being told that I needed to call the officer that took the report and have him come out, that I didn't have an emergency, battery apparently isn't an emergency. After officers show up, I was with one officer going to a residence to look for tools, this officer informed me that I shouldn't have called the police so soon. That I should have just let my husband "beat the beep outta the guy, because he won't get justice in this town, and that they will be out of jail within 20 min. after gettilng there." What kind of police force do we have that an officer will say something like that? I believe that we have a divided police force. One part is newbies that follow the rules like robots, and then there are the "good ol boys" that don't follow them and seemingly allow things to knowingly go on to generate revenue and give the facade that they are helping us when in fact we are solving our own crimes, and apparently are allowed to carry out our own convictions. Yea! my tax dollars well spent.....We solved our own case and still didn't get our "pawned" property back. Wonder where all the money for Jayhawk Pawn remodel is coming from? maybe they should have their books looked at. See how many stolen items have passed through there. I know our antique level passed with no problem...since it isn't there anymore. Stop being lazy LPD and do the job you are being paid to do.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

If the JW has removed all of "mj's posts", how would anyone wanting to know more of the YH house case log on here and read up?

gl0ckUser 3 years, 3 months ago

I honestly Don't know if they will re-open again. Even though there is a new state law protecting them, with the level of corruption in Lawrence no Law will protect you from corruption of this magnitude.

goodcountrypeople 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, one reasons Lawrence is such a dirty, backward, and unethical town is because of all the gag orders law enforcement puts in place to block the truth from becoming public. It seems absolutely barbaric to hold someone in jail for several months for sending a critical email.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

Hello? Law Enforcement doesn't issue the gag order. That is the court. And it is the COURT that put someone in jail for violating a court order. Law Enforcement did not do that. Are you Smitty's dad? you seem to have just as much of a hatred for all things Law Enforcement as Smitty does.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

We read a lot about victimless crimes being solved in the newspaper, drug sales and possession being number one and two on the list, of course.

So, a lot of the citizens's tax dollars are being spent on solving and prosecuting cases where there are no victims, but there seem to be unsolved burglaries in the newspaper all the time.

I wonder, are there more bonus points awarded for drug arrests and convictions than there are for solving and convicting burglaries?

Is there something wrong with this picture, or is it just me?

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, smitty once again you have taken certain facts and twisted them to your liking, but that seems to be the norm for you. What color is the sky in your world ??

MarcoPogo 3 years, 3 months ago

More importantly, do they serve Sno-cones there?

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

OK, I am confused. Why is it the number of hits keep climbing on this story, keeping it active, but when I check, there doesn't seem to be anything new. Now granted I don't have time to read and memorize all of smitty's 'stuff', but it sure doesn't seem to me that anyone else has posted. Are they getting disappeared before I read them???

somebodynew 3 years, 2 months ago

Actually, she ought to be removed for the way she twists certain things into outright lies and defames people's characters.

Alex Parker 3 years ago

We published this story yesterday, Smitty. It's on the front page of the website: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/nov...

Alex Parker 3 years ago

Smitty, we routinely publish stories online before they are printed. It's not buried. It was posted, it's online forever, and when new stories are published on the front page of LJWorld.com, the older stories move down the queue until they are pushed off the page.

somebodynew 3 years ago

Alex, Get used to it. Honesty does not work here. You are obviously just part of the conspiracy.