Archive for Saturday, September 3, 2011

Tonganoxie teen placed on probation in battery case

September 3, 2011

An 18-year-old Tonganoxie man has been placed on supervised probation and cannot have unsupervised contact with females who are minors, a Leavenworth County District Court Judge ruled Friday in Leavenworth.

Judge Michael Gibbens ruled that Nick M. Pursel be placed under those conditions in the sexual battery case involving Pursel and a Tonganoxie female, but delayed a decision on whether Pursel would be registered as a sex offender. Pursel gave a no-contest plea earlier this summer.

When the incident occurred nearly a year ago, both were Tonganoxie High School students and both were under the age of 18. Because of this, the Leavenworth County attorney’s office has released little information on the case.

Both the parents of the victim, as well as Pursel, had opportunities to speak during Friday’s sentencing.

The parents of the victim said that their family members’ lives have changed dramatically during the past year. Her mother said their family had left the church they were attending because Pursel’s family also attended the church. In addition, her daughter had attended Tonganoxie schools since preschool and has since transferred out because of the incident.

Pursel apologized to his former classmate and her family and then explained that he’s regularly been seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist and has had his medication adjusted. He’s also joined the church youth group and attends Sex Addicts Anonymous sessions.

Gibbens instructed both the prosecution and defense to submit briefs by Sept. 30 to make their cases whether Pursel should be registered as a sex offender. Gibbens then will make a determination at a date to be determined.

Asked Friday whether Pursel currently was a student at Tonganoxie High School, USD 464 Superintendent Randy Weseman said, “I can confirm that he has been a student and currently exists in our student database.”

He declined to comment further.

Comments

kernal 3 years, 3 months ago

",,,and has had his medication adjusted." Oh, then that makes it all good? What happens when he decides he doesn't need his medication and quits taking it. He's over 18, so his parents can't force it down his throat. I've seen this too often. Put him on the sex offender list for ten years and see how he does. If you don't, you are putting those who come in contact with him at risk.

gtanking 3 years, 3 months ago

They left out that it happened in a Tonganoxie High School class room and that he only received 10 days of suspension.. He continues to attend Tonganoxie High School.. Glad my daughter doesn't got to school there anymore!!

gtanking 3 years, 3 months ago

***Glad my daughter doesn't go there anymore!!

WThompson 3 years, 3 months ago

It's about time this has been made public. I bet come Tuesday his probation will be violated becuase he is to have adult supervision at all times. Now our tax dollars will have to be used to provide a babysitter.

WThompson 3 years, 3 months ago

Let's not forget there's a victim involved.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

hope so, a few years behind big boy bars, probation, being known a sex offender often has people "trying to change" you see.

Very few ignore the threats. Very hard for a judge to know what a person is really thinking.

Most certainly would like to hear the "child" who did the horid thing family is trying to at least pay for damages. At least medical bills.

Not a word about this.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

The young man is lucky he is living here and now. Doing this deed in 1950 or 1960s he would have been missing some body parts as a gift from her family.

Even nowadays, if I were him would always keep my guard up.

jonas_opines 3 years, 3 months ago

Ha, right. Or nothing would have happened to him at all, and the girl would have been vilified as "asking for it."

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

daddy 1950s Arkansas would have never thought his youngun was "asking for it."

Rumor has it moons ago a famous, a very famous country music star had his privates changed over something similar.

Many many men back in the day hit the high road happy to never return over something like this.

Shame and fear was quite a motivator. The law was fuzzy over passion crimes.

In any case what would a creep do? Hey police, I raped a young girl and her daddy is after me. In times gone by a cop would turn his back and let matters become settled.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

As you may see I think rape is a horid crime. My view is we are way way to easy of rapists nowadays.

Used to be a hanging offense.

sthompson 3 years, 3 months ago

Perses....do you have a daughter? If so, where does she go to school? We can send Mr. Pursel to her school to "turn his life around". When he fails, like he has so many times before, it will be your daughter at his hands instead of ours. Is that a chance you're willing to take? We don't take careless chances with our childrens safety.

gtanking 3 years, 3 months ago

This was not his first or second offense...Why didn't he turn his life around after the ones before this.!!!

Kerry Putthoff 3 years, 3 months ago

From what know of the case he has done this many times before. NOW he has changed his ways! I grew up in Tongie and we used to have ways of dealing with this type of behavior. Now that he is an adult , let's see how he deals with us big boys!? If he has changed, then good for him. I would say if he has not.... Remember you are an adult now!

LVGIRL 3 years, 3 months ago

Nice Richards. Your doing the "if your not with us your against us" thing. Did you read the part about him seeing professional help, taking meds and the incident happening a year ago? That means he has at least a year of clean track record.

kansasredlegs 3 years, 3 months ago

LVGIRL 3 years, 3 months ago

mom_of_four 3 years, 3 months ago

Sexual battery could be all of those things but if it's non-consensual it makes it criminal. I would hope to hell we still live in a country where a person does not have the right to slap my ass, touch my breasts or touch any part of my body clothed or not with out my consent. What is wrong with you people??!! As far as the possibilty of him having to register as an offender, would it seem more justified to you if the victim had been younger? Why does it seems less crimimal because she is a teenager? What if it was your child. No one can understand what her family is going through unless they have gone through it with their child

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Many hear you mom_of......... you are correctsick sick sick. I pray the young lady (ladies) can somehow learn to live a healthy happy life. What a crime, think about what was done. This young lady certainly does.

Remember the bast@d who killed the Jo-co girls in the 1980s? He killed an elderly women before he was 18 near Leavenworth. Of course he was as free as a bird when he did his last crimes. Not only rape, but he killed the girls too.

Think, killed a older women before his high school graduation, free as a bird.

He sits in prison now, demanding favors for telling the girls parents where he buried them. So many people, so many lives changed.

ralphralph 3 years, 3 months ago

The victim had to transfer out? Not a good job.

LVGIRL 3 years, 3 months ago

Jean Robart 3 years, 3 months ago

how do you know it wasn't an otherwise empty classroom???

mom_of_four 3 years, 3 months ago

gtanking 3 years, 3 months ago

I would like to set the record straight on the facts of this case. You see I am the victim's parent and have been going through this ordeal with my daughter for almost a year. It is only with her consent that I tell you what happened. On September 8, 2011 in the Chemistry classroom of THS Nic asked the teacher if he and my daughter could be lab partners. During the lab Nic made several advances putting his hand up my daughter's skirt. Each time she said "No" and pushed his hand away. He then put his hand down her shirt andi inside her bra. She again pushed him away and said "No". After school he followed her to her car apologizing for his actions and then got in her car and asked her to take him down to he practice field for football. Unfortunatley, she did. On the way to the practice field Nic again put his hand up her skirt and she again pushed him away and said "No". She pulled over told him to get out he then forcefully put his hand up her skirt and in her underware while he tried to kiss her. She yelled "No" and finally got him out of the car. After going to the safety officer and reporting what happend Nic was suspened for only 10 days and charged with sexual bettery. Apparantly the code of conduct that students and parents are required to read and sign prior to each year means nothing. In the code of conduct battery of any kind is considered a Class III Offense resulting in long-term suspension or expulsion. Numerous meetings with the principal, superintendent and even the school board did nothing. I removed my daughter from THS in December. So you see this was not a simple "pinch, squeeze or pull of the bra strap". For the one who commented on Nic turning his life around, well yes that would be great and hopefully there is some truth to that. However, when someone commits a crime whether it be sexual battery, rape or even murder, if admitting guilt, saying they are sorry and that they have turned their life around is all that needs to be done than we are in a world of hurt. For those of you who think this is too rash and uncalled for you must not have a daughter of your own!

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

On behalf of men that understand women deserve the same level of decency as a man, I am truly sorry that your daughter had to have this kind of travesty happen to her.

If he had done this when I was in high school, there wouldn't be a sound inch of skin left, and in some places no skin at all.

No woman deserves this and our children deserve to be protected at school. She may never forget, but I do hope that she does move forward. I hope she doesn't need it, but if she does need a professional to talk to, there are people at Bert Nash that are trained for just such a situation. Just don't let her hesitate if she thinks she needs someone to talk to.

Again, I am so sorry this happened.

gtanking 3 years, 3 months ago

*** Correct date is September 8, 2010.

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

"If it happened in a classroom then how could it be rape? How could she be unwilling?"

Please... for the love of everything decent in the universe, tell me that you are joking.

1. If he has a prior record of violence, regardless of what it is, that is an 'aura' that will proverbially surround him. No one is suprised when a habitual drug user is caught using them again. That threat of violence, implied or just anticipated, is as much a weapon as a knife to her throat or a gun to her head.

2. If she was intimitaded in any form by this toad, as was explained in Point #1, the coersion amounts to rape if the encounter was sexual in nature. Given that he was threatened, apparently, with sex offender registry, it's not a huge leap of logic. The threat of violence causes the environment of rape, since it is purely a power-driven concept. I'd go into more depth, but that is psychology and there is a character limit on here. LOL

3. How many school rooms are unused at any given time in a school day? Not every single room is packed with students. I know for a fact that there were rooms in my high school that were not used every single period and were used for... alternate purposes, shall we say.

"She was JUST as guilty of anything"

Way to blame the victim. You use the word girl in your poster handle, and you still have the audacity to blame the victim in rape? I've known 5 rape victims in my life. None of them deserved it. None of them asked for it.

I'm male, by the by, but I find your post at 6:07PM on Spetember 3rd to be not only morally bankrupt, but treason to the spirit of humanity itself.

gtanking 3 years, 3 months ago

The girl never said that she was raped.  For the record this boy was accused and found guilty of sexual battery.  Apparently, some people think that if it's not rape it doens't deserve to be punished.  Where in the world were you people raised?

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

I never once said he shouldn't be taken to task. I also see no need to throw the book at him.

Keep a tight hold on it and swing it correctly. If you throw it, you only get one shot.

mom_of_four 3 years, 3 months ago

No need to throw the book at him? What should they do then, smack him with a feather duster? So he got probation, attends Sex addict classes, takes medication and go to the church youth group where he can be in contact with other minors... wonderful. So tell me how many more girls have to say no and have their words ignored before he fully deserves to have the book thrown at him?

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

mom_of_four 3 years, 3 months ago

I have one last thing to say, and I am done. I will not come back on here and comment further because some of you people make me sick. I only want to say to the victim that I am so proud of her for being so strong and I hope your dad or you see this and you know who I am. When C told me what happend to you at school that day I was furious and it made me relive some terrible things that I went through went I was a teenager. There is a big difference of what I went through and what you did and that is you had the courage to tell someone and stood up for yourself. I suffered in silence because I blamed myself and it has taken me years to work past it and heal. I hope you continue to move forward and grow. You are a very strong and amazing young lady!! You were like a second daughter and I miss you very much since you have left school. Make the most out of this last year and reach for the stars and shine brighter than you have ever had and keep your head up.

etanking34 3 years, 3 months ago

This has been going on since Sept. 10th 2010. Mr Carlies never did anything to protect my Granddaughter so they had to take her out of THS and send her to a different school. He should have been kicked out of school. He still walking the hallways and out in the parking lot.

etanking34 3 years, 3 months ago

etanking34 (anonymous) says…

This has been going on since Sept. 8th 2010. Mr Carlies never did anything to protect my Granddaughter so they had to take her out of THS and send her to a different school. He should have been kicked out of school. He still walking the hallways and out in the parking lot. September 4, 2011 at 12:30 p.m.

suggest removal

salad 3 years, 3 months ago

An educrat not taking action???? How could that possibly be???? So the only person who get punished is the victim.....again. Stuff like this is what makes people wanna take the law into their own hands.

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that I was defending that waste of oxygen. I won't discuss my actual opinion of him, simply because that language isn't fit for mixed company.

Suffice to say he didn't get even close to what he deserved.

I'm sorry if you somehow thought that I was standing up for him. I did stand up, mainly to get in line to go upside his head a few dozen times. The baseball bat would be optional.