Archive for Saturday, September 3, 2011

Rural Lawrence man found dead following accident while spraying fields

September 3, 2011

Google Map

1532 Road in Lawrence

View Larger Map

A 66-year-old Lawrence man was found dead Saturday afternoon following an accident on his all-terrain vehicle.

According to Douglas County Sheriff’s Sgt. Steve Lewis, deputies were called to a residence in the 700 block of North 1532 Road in reference to a missing person case. Lewis said deputies and family members discovered the man’s body, identified as Allen Fender, on the property about 3:15 p.m.

Fender had left the residence to spray the fields for weeds. He had been driving a four-wheeler with the spray apparatus attached when he was involved in an accident. Lewis said the vehicle had crashed and overturned. Fender was killed during the accident.

No additional information regarding the incident was available Saturday night.

Comments

blindrabbit 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident. Heard the sirens about that time, based on the sound, I had assumed that something t had occurred near Stull Road/Highway 40 corner.

kernal 3 years, 3 months ago

How sad. I wonder what spray he was using and if the contents of that spray had anything to do with it. Sure would like to know what was in it.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 3 months ago

With all due respect, I would make the assumption this gentleman has been spraying this product and much worse products for years. Though these chemicals can have a negative effect on your body if exposed the wrong way, it's highly unlikely they were the cause of the accident.

Also, it was much more likely a 2,4-D product.

Regardless, a very sad incident and my thoughts go out to his family.

Christina Carter 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Dillon...The chemicals in the sprayer had absolutely nothing to do with the accident. The accident was nothing more than a sad & tragic accident that none of us could have forseen.

Out of respect for our family, I ask that people please do not make something out of nothing. The family has enough to deal with right now and does not need unnecessary commentary. We are all struglling as we try to make sense of this tragic event.

Christina Carter 3 years, 3 months ago

Jane, your apology is accepted. I was referring more to the first comment from Kernal. I understand you were just responding to his/her comment. Unfortunately it is comments like those that really end up blowing things out of proportion. I just want those types of comments to stop before they get out of hand.

By the way, you were abslolutely correct about Allen being a gentleman. Hence the nickname of Grand Sir which is what his three beutiful granddaughters call him.

Christina Carter 3 years, 3 months ago

RIP Grand Sir....You will be greatly missed by all who had the pleasure of getting to know you.

Scruggsy 3 years, 3 months ago

I knew who this man was. He seemed like a very kind and friendly person. Very sad- RIP.

Christina Carter 3 years, 3 months ago

Once again, Lawrence Journal World, you have the story incorrect. My father died of a massive heart attack and it was bad luck that he was on that sprayer at that time. Shame on you, Joe Preiner, for not checking sources, giving our community incorrect information and allowing DillonBarnes to use our family tragedy to share his agenda.

Christina Carter 3 years, 3 months ago

Note: The above comment was from Allen's daughter who is also my sister-in-law. However, I agree totally with her sentiments. If the LJW reporter would have waited until the following morning to release the story he would have been able to confirm the key missing fact in his story and then none of the unnecessary comments would have started. My suggestion to all who post to news forums is to think before you comment. An initial news story rarely has all the facts.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 3 months ago

I certainly was not pushing any kind of agenda, rather pointing out someone was making absurd assumptions. I'm sorry you found that as an agenda.

You both are correct that an initial news story rarely has all the facts, but that is one of the big reasons it's best for family members to avoid these stories and the forums because they will likely only upset you more.

Again, I'm sorry for this difficult time your family is going through.