Archive for Friday, September 2, 2011

Woman ticketed for failing to yield before accident

September 2, 2011

Lawrence police ticketed an 18-year-old Lawrence woman Wednesday afternoon for failing to yield to another driver in a rollover accident near 22nd Street and Kasold Drive. No one was injured, but Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman, said officers cited Alice Barnes because she failed to yield her 2001 Acura while headed south on Quail Creek Drive.

Her vehicle collided with a car driven by Jing Ye, 46, of Lawrence, who was headed west on 22nd Street.

Comments

jesse499 3 years, 2 months ago

Yield??? Oh Yea thats what knowone in Lawrence does even if theres one of those funny signs that says Yield on it at round abouts and the ramp at 6th and Iowa .

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

It's better to get a ticket than to get a casket.

And, what a yield sign means is that if you wreck here it's your fault, and so you or your insurance company will have to pay for all the damage.

jesse499 3 years, 2 months ago

What it means at a roundabout is blow threw it even if someones there 1st and if their already in it you run up behind them and blow your horn you know courtesy something knowone knows the meaning of anymore.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

It's so easy to be rude to a stranger. It's different in small towns where everyone knows each other, and so everyone knows it's going to be at least very embarrassing if you have an accident.

But if you do ever have an accident involving another vehicle that is owned by a stranger, you are very likely to need to have a discussion about it with the nicest person you ever met.

It seems that the real jerks never wreck, for some reason.

Wadde 3 years, 2 months ago

She may have thought she had "the right away"

AliceBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

I was not texting, and I don't text while I'm driving because I am well aware of the consequences. I can see why you would think I was texting because teenage girls often get into car accidents because they were texting and driving. I admit I did not not yield, and I know I should have, but I can assure you that I was not texting. Also, it is called the "right of way" not "right away'.