Archive for Friday, September 2, 2011

Minor injuries reported in Friday morning accident on K-10

September 2, 2011

One person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries Friday morning after a rollover accident on Kansas Highway 10 near De Soto, said Master Deputy Tom Erickson, a Johnson County Sheriff’s spokesman.

Erickson said around 9:45 a.m. one vehicle rear-ended another causing one vehicle to roll near the Kill Creek Road exit in the eastbound lanes. Drivers in the area reported heavy traffic as officers and medics responded to the accident.

Additional information about the crash was not available Friday evening.

Comments

MarcoPogo 3 years ago

Has the LJW ever considered just starting up a "K-10 Accident" section of the paper?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Events like this make me reconsider whether I really want another convertible. (Well, maybe one with a roll bar might give me a chance, anyway.)

I'm sure I can keep my car upright, but I can't prevent someone else from doing something stupid.

Pragmatron 3 years ago

it's a suicide rap. we better get while were young.

OonlyBonly 3 years ago

"Hemi powered drones scream down the boulevard....."

FieldTested 3 years ago

Poorly designed? What the heck are you talking about?

Could you be more specific? Sight distance inadequate? Curve radius too tight for 70 MPH speed limit? Lanes too narrow? Surface too slick? Not enough lanes to carry the traffic?

Or maybe you mean a highway built between two places destined to carry a high percentage of inexperienced, testosterone-fueled, texting drivers should not have been built. That would fall under poorly conceived. You'd still be wrong - old K-10 was much more dangerous.

Pay attention. Don't text. Stay out of the left lane unless you are passing (and don't start to pass if there is faster traffic coming through). Try to be predictable (signal, flow smoothly, etc.) Keep good tires on your vehicle. Following these rules will take care of the majority of problems on K-10. Blaming the design is just ignorant.

Chris Phillips 3 years ago

How about just OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT IDIOTS!!! You don't need to go any faster than that. I don't care if you are capable of handling that speed...in heavy trafic, everyone needs to play by the same rules in order to protect each other from harm. If you can't drive slower than 90, get a job at the racetrack and get it out of your system before you kill someone.

OonlyBonly 3 years ago

Oh that's silly talk. That's been a great highway since it was opened around the mid to late 70s it's only recently that people seem to be unable to drive on it. Hiding their cells down in their laps so we don't know they're texting. reading papers, books, reports resting against the steering wheel as they "drive." Quit trying to blame the roadway for the incompetence and inattentiveness of drivers!

Mike Myers 3 years ago

For those of us with two eyes on the road it works quite well _wilbur.

JerryStubbs 3 years ago

There are a few of those bridges that are pretty bouncy-- when you go over them either just before or right after the bridge your car kind of lurches or launches, depending on the pavement, which is kind of irregular. I believe that is the kind of thing that had something to do with the fatality on the South Lawrence Trafficway, when the spike bounced out of a truck/trailer and went into the windshield of an oncoming vehicle. It was right around that bridge near the Clinton exit.

JerryStubbs 3 years ago

K-10 does go through some pretty hilly ground, too. That big valley where Cedar Creek goes through, for example. It is pretty much up and down all the way except from Eudora to Lawrence.

Richard Heckler 3 years ago

Face it it's the drivers not the road.

senegal66025 3 years ago

Nascar Track- slow down please

neo_star 3 years ago

Needs 6 lanes with a concrete center barrier just like KTA has between Lawrence and Topeka. It carries what seems like the same traffic count.

nut_case 3 years ago

Except if you note, I70 actually has a higher accident rate than K10.

JerryStubbs 3 years ago

I - 70 has lots more trucks. For real fun, drive on I-70 to St.Louis, during the week when trucks travel most.

K-10 was made when the speed limit was 55, while I-70 was made when the speed limit was 80.

JerryStubbs 3 years ago

Still it's hard to say how there could be a rear end collision on a four lane highway. I wonder if they will post more information about this wreck. One of the cars rolled over.