Archive for Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vehicle crashes into house on Sixth Street, one transported to hospital

Eyewitness account of truck crashing into front porch on West Sixth Street.

September 1, 2011, 6:50 p.m. Updated September 1, 2011, 9:27 p.m.

A pickup truck smashed through a fence and then into the front porch of a home in the 400 block of West Sixth Street Thursday evening.  According to witnesses, the eastbound truck crossed lanes, clipped a tree and then went airborne before crashing through the fence and into the porch. A truck tire was found in the front yard near the street. The homeowner was inside the front room reading to her child when the accident happened.

A pickup truck smashed through a fence and then into the front porch of a home in the 400 block of West Sixth Street Thursday evening. According to witnesses, the eastbound truck crossed lanes, clipped a tree and then went airborne before crashing through the fence and into the porch. A truck tire was found in the front yard near the street. The homeowner was inside the front room reading to her child when the accident happened.

A Lawrence man in his early 50s was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital Thursday afternoon following an accident that left his truck in someone's porch in the 400 block of West Sixth Street.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Troy Squire the incident occurred about 6:30 p.m. The driver had been heading eastbound on Sixth Street when he crossed over the center line and kept going. He continued through the westbound lanes in his black Toyota truck and jumped the curb before crashing through the residence.

Medical crews responded to the scene and transported the man via ambulance to LMH with injuries that were not believed to be life threatening.

The accident resulted in extensive damage to both the residence and the vehicle.

An investigation into the cause of the incident is ongoing.

Comments

gsxr600 2 years, 12 months ago

The driving in this town never ceases to amaze me.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

I live on the second floor, so I think I'm safe from a car coming through the wall.

But in one of the other buildings in this apartment complex, someone drove right into someone's bedroom in the middle of the night. So, one of the tenants here woke up with the front bumper of a car only six inches from his head.

And, it was called in as a fire because after the vehicle crashed into the bedroom, its tires spun for a quite a while at top speed, so there was a whole lot of smoke from the burning rubber.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

Oh, NO!

I'm not close to any highways. But, there are those cases of airplanes crashing into houses,,,

And not that long ago, lightening hit the building next door. No one was hurt, but there was a lot of electronic equipment of all kinds destroyed. Even in the buildings next to that one!

blindrabbit 2 years, 12 months ago

As Sonny and Cher sang: "The beat goes on"! "The drum keeps pounding rhythm to the brain".

LadyJ 2 years, 12 months ago

Remote controls were secretly installed on the car and thus deliberated crashed so more money would be allocated to Emergency services and increase profits at LMH.

ljwhirled 2 years, 12 months ago

I do believe it was dropped on the porch by black helicopters flown by IRS agents, or at least that is what Glenn Beck told me to believe.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

Maybe the Men In Black did it to stimulate the economy.

rockchalker52 2 years, 12 months ago

I used to sell real estate. The first house I ever sold was in the 400 block of west sixth. It didn't have a side entrance. I wonder if it does now.

Centurion 2 years, 12 months ago

Musta been the newly laid asphalt that caused the accident. Driver probably freaked out traveling on a smooth road for a change.

Plurilingual 2 years, 12 months ago

I saw this wreck as the tow truck was pulling up. The front half of the truck was practically sitting on the elevated front porch. It appeared that the awning over the porch had partially collapsed, as there were fresh studs propping it up.

More interestingly, the house is on the north side of the street, yet the truck was facing east. If it was going eastbound on 6th, it would have had to have crossed all westbound lanes as well as a good 40 feet or so of front yard. Otherwise, I can't imagine how it could have gotten in the position it was in.

Plurilingual 2 years, 12 months ago

And of course, as soon as I start writing , the page gets updated. At least my theory was vindicated.

giveitback 2 years, 12 months ago

When I was about 11 or so an old used UPS van converted into a maintenace van hit the front of our house. It was a cinder blaock wall. Would have killed someone if they were in the frontroom at that time. I ship everything Fedex now.

giveitback 2 years, 12 months ago

When I was about 11 or so an old used UPS van converted into a maintenace van hit the front of our house. It was a cinder block wall. Would have killed someone if they were in the frontroom at that time. I ship everything Fedex now.

classclown 2 years, 12 months ago

When are cables going to be installed in the center of the road to prevent this rash of crossovers from happening? This is two days in a row now. You want them on highway 10. They are needed in this town instead.

matahari 2 years, 12 months ago

Ha ha, welp, the students , first time away from home, with a new vehicle mommy and daddy bought for them are back in town! HA!

blindrabbit 2 years, 12 months ago

What is it about these 50 year old KU freshmen and their diving skills

jlzack 2 years, 12 months ago

I was surprised Lawrence wasn't on the top ten list of worst drivers in the US.....