Archive for Sunday, October 30, 2011

Public invited to meet Journal-World editors during open house Nov. 8

October 30, 2011

Please join us for Coffee with the Editors from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8, at the News Center, 645 N.H.

In this open house, drop-in format, members of the Journal-World’s news team — including Managing Editor Dennis Anderson, Community Director Caroline Trowbridge and Digital Editor Alex Parker — will be available to answer questions and chat about issues involving news gathering.

It’s early, so we will have coffee available.

Comments

Angela Heili 3 years, 8 months ago

I can't go either, but would love to meet the people that I and many, many others do their jobs for. How many of us have caught serious mistakes in the paper that these "editors" should have caught?

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years, 7 months ago

Different kind of editor. You're mad at the copy editors, and the copy desk. In this sense, editor is like a title of leadership and respect. The editor-in-chief, the managing editor, etc. Depending on their jobs, they rarely, if at all, edit the copy of the newspaper.

funkdog1 3 years, 8 months ago

Excuse you, armchair editors; there have been many times that people on the forums have pointed out "errors" that were in fact plain old wrong. Most of the real errors that end up in the paper these days are simple typos that are extremely easy to overlook when putting out a DAILY paper. The simple fact is that the quality of the reporting and writing in the Lawrence Journal World has vastly improved over the last 15 years or so.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years, 7 months ago

Thank you! I must say, the Lawrence Journal-World is an absolute treasure to have. The website is top notch, and the LJWorld routinely -- and I mean routinely; please check this out to see if I'm wrong -- has better reader interaction and comments than at the KC Star, which rarely has any online dialogue.

In a day and age when most newspapers are still struggling to find their footing on the Internet and in the 21st Century, the LJWorld is here, feet first.

It's an absolute joy to have a publication of this quality here in town. There's a daily in Olathe that has dwindled down to weekly and just plain sucks, with no Internet presence whatsoever, and Olathe's a much larger community than Lawrence.

If you don't like the LJWorld, there's a simple solution for you: go the hell away. I'm sure the KC Star would appreciate your patronage.

kansasplains 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry I can't be there to meet them. I think the Journal-World editors do a great job of finding creative, exciting stories every day for the paper - which, by the way, is read throughout the world, especially by KU and Lawrence alumni. However, I WISH they would be stronger, as well, on international news! And they couid do an even better job with covering minorities than at present.

Also, I would like the Journal-World to involve surrounding communities and the state more in their stores. They should feature stories from throughout the region, as they have done on occasion with the Wichita Eagle.

This includes the live weather scene, which is, not to my knowledge, in the current paper(?). There should be live coverage from throughout the state. It used to be great to see the weather in Lawrence at any time from a live camera.

As far as proofreading goes, try working for a law firm. There are far more mistakes in law anyday than occur with a daily newspaper.

Thank you for such excellent work. The Journal World is far different than when I first read it coming to college.

Please, let's also have some pictures.

shaunepec 3 years, 8 months ago

Kansasplains, Appreciate your comments. Would love to hear anything you have to say about increased minority coverage. Always open to covering new issues or things we haven't previously. Feel free to mail m at sdhittle@ljworld.com

Shaun Hittle Reporter

Amy Heeter 3 years, 7 months ago

Omg lighten up. This isn't a bash session, its a Invitation Accept it or dont.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Hmmm . . . just might show up! Would like to meet those who put up with our nonsense on a daily basis. I'll be the anonymous old guy in the corner. Urban camo with a brown paper bag over my head. Scary lookin' but harmless.

Anybody with me?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I was right behind you, you weren't in the corner, and you didn't have a brown paper bag over your head!

trinity 3 years, 7 months ago

Will there be cookies and/or doughnuts?

LadyJ 3 years, 7 months ago

Since Roe prefers cake, I'm sure they'll have cake.

Ken Miller 3 years, 7 months ago

Will there be a green edition of this meet and greet?

Alex Parker 3 years, 7 months ago

Some reporters may attend Tuesday's event.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, there were about 35 or so people there. It was very interesting and informative, and you missed it!