Archive for Sunday, October 30, 2011

High school marching bands compete in festival at KU

October 30, 2011

Brass met artificial grass Saturday as 21 high school marching bands competed at Kansas University’s Memorial Stadium.

Five judges rated bands on music, percussion, auxiliary, marching and overall effect at the 20th annual Heart of America Marching Festival. Judges gave out four top prizes, one in each division.

Schools were placed in divisions based on the number woodwind players it had. Division 1 bands had the most woodwinds with 100 or more, and division 4 bands had the least, with 48 or fewer.

Here are the results:

Division 1

1st place: Olathe North High School

2nd place: Lawrence High School

3rd place: Shawnee Mission Northwest High School

Division 2

1st place: Maize High School

2nd place: Olathe South High School

3rd place: Shawnee Mission East High School

Division 3

1st place: Atchison High School

Division 4

1st place: Elkhorn High School (Neb.)

2nd place: Saint Thomas Aquinas High School

3rd place: Raytown South High School (Mo.)

Reporter Aaron Couch can be reached at 832-7217.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 8 months ago

Was that a gratuitous yawn, or a really emphatic one?

Sean Livingstone 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey, this is at least more exciting that the 43-0 game... :)

Tammy Copp-Barta 3 years, 8 months ago

Yawn all you like, but these kids have been working their hineys off since July for these performances. Many hours of practice, learning music and footwork. I am proud of all those kids and staff that have worked so hard and produced many wonderful shows yesterday!!

Monty Amick 3 years, 8 months ago

Incredible performances everyone!! Both Lawrence schools were wonderful and held there own against stiff competition. A true testament to our fine music programs and the hard work our students are putting forth. Very proud parent here!!! Keep up the good work y'all!

ps. Sad_L Please. Move. Now.

Nikki May 3 years, 8 months ago

I so wanted to go to this, but I had stuff for my kids. Congrats to the bands, I'm sure they did great.

justforfun 3 years, 8 months ago

I drove by this event and it made me think that if KU football keeps getting pounded this is what size crowd we can expect. I did drive by slow and did enjoy the little bit i herd from the bands warming up!