Archive for Thursday, October 27, 2011

Some Knology customers experience Internet outages, delays

October 27, 2011

Some Internet customers of Knology were unable to get online or experienced delays during a two-hour period Thursday afternoon.

Rod Kutemeier, general manager of Knology, said the connection with one of the company’s three Internet backbone providers went down briefly.

The disruption occurred approximately between noon and 2 p.m. Kutemeier said he didn’t know the cause of the problem. The provider, whom he declined to identify, was preparing a report for Knology, he said.

He said the disruption was “not common and we don’t expect to see it again.” He said he didn’t know how many people were affected by the down time.

Comments

alcoholbliss 1 year, 11 months ago

And now for only another $10 a month on your bill you can still have your pre recorded ON DEMAND shows from networks like NBC and STILL not have your FAST FORWARD functions work during playback.

What a FRACKING RIP OFF KNOLOGY/WOW IS.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 5 months ago

This just in: Knology is changing their name to GNAWLOGY. Why? Because they can.

bevandrex 2 years, 5 months ago

Being laid off after Knology bought Sunflower was one of the best things to happen to me. I have a much better job where I work for a company I can really get behind. Rather than working for $9.50 an hour for a company I had zero confidience in. When we found out Knology was buying the company EVERYONE in Customer Service knew that we were going to be the first ones cut, and after seeing the huge amount of complaints online from existing Knology clients, I wasn't too upset about being laid off. I heard from just about everyone I knew in the community, saying they were outraged by Knology dropping all of the Customer Service people in Lawrence. I appreciated the community being vocal about their concerns and disappointment in the World Company's decision to sell Sunflower. No one could have raised a big enough stink to make the greedy Simon's family keep us on. If you have Knology, please switch to another provider if you can. They have one of the most horrible reputations with their customers all over the nation and they could care less about the Lawrence community.

EastCoaster 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm laughing about the people complaining about the customer service. I used to work for that Dept with SFBB. Where was the community when it was announced there were going to be layoffs? As the customer you guys had the power to keep the jobs here in town. But you were all crickets. Now you get just what you deserve. When you have a good thing going locally you need to stand up and protect it rather then sit back with a wait and see approach. If you all would be willing to do without TV and Internet and landline for a week, you call could have canceled service and bet your behind that publicly traded company would have kept the local customer service department. But nobody stood in solidarity with their neighbors did they? Now your problems are handled by people in SD and GA by people who don't know you as a neighbor.

Pete_Schweti 2 years, 5 months ago

"My connections were so slow earlier I used system restore. "

What?

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 5 months ago

You should be more worried about quadruple posting,

Oldsoul 2 years, 5 months ago

I was worried I wouldn't be able to sign in for my telecommuting job Thursday afternoon and managed to track down an 800 number in case I need to phone my boss across the globe. Luckily all necessary sites were back online by mid-afternoon. My connections were so slow earlier I used system restore. Had hoped to listen to an internet radio show from the west coast at noon but missed it due to the connectivity issue.

Oldsoul 2 years, 5 months ago

Oldsoul 2 years, 5 months ago

Oldsoul 2 years, 5 months ago

aha 2 years, 5 months ago

i switched to uverse 2 years ago (before knology took over), and have not regretted it since. the internet service is especially great. no lags or outages in 2 years. i was constantly having issues with sunflower. the office i work for unfortunately has knology, so we were unable to get a lot of work done during those two hours.

i did briefly consider going back to sunflower/knology. thank goodness today knocked that idea out of my mind.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 5 months ago

Knology just flat out sucks. Service from Sunflower was great, but once Knology took over I have had issue after issue...

LHS56 2 years, 5 months ago

My response from the help desk has basically been no response. I had to go through the whole meal deal of telephone number, pin number, dogs name, etc. Then....we can't help with that problem. They gave me the phone number of the computer manufacture company and Outlook. Not even a thanks for calling and have a great day. I'm one more problem from changing carriers. Knology might find that they spent $160,000,000 for a bunch of outdated wiring and poor service. (I always had great help with the local people at Sunflower.)

DillonBarnes 2 years, 5 months ago

Anybody getting continued slow service this evening?

I'm running at less than 10% my normal speed.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

"The provider, whom he declined to identify, was"

Sprint.

melott 2 years, 5 months ago

I have ATT phone service. I would say the customer service is the worst in the world. I have been led around in circles more times than I can count. For this reason, I would be averse to giving them any more business.

In addition, since the sale to Knology, I have not seen any degradation (yet) in my TV or internet service.

atiopatioo 2 years, 5 months ago

Does Columbia Missouri have Knology for their retirees? If not, I'm shipping grandpa and grandma to Columbia. I'm tired of their gumming complaints about no service.

Sigmund 2 years, 5 months ago

Enlightenment (anonymous) says… "They have such a monopoly on cable in Lawrence and if I had a choice, I'd drop their service in a heartbeat."

Since ATT Uverse is available most everywhere in Lawrence (despite what ATT's service availability website erroneously reports), Knology is hardly a monopoly for TV or Internet services.

Enlightenment (anonymous) says… "BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to get local broadcasts via Tivo without having cable service?" http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-accessories/dvr-cables/index.html

Enlightenment 2 years, 5 months ago

Enlightenment 2 years, 5 months ago

Couldn't agree more with the posters indicating poor service from Knology. Additionally, the price of services has increased significantly since Knology acquired Sunflower. They have such a monopoly on cable in Lawrence and if I had a choice, I'd drop their service in a heartbeat.

Sigmund 2 years, 5 months ago

After years of Sunflower's basic Bronze Level cable service, I switched to ATT Uverse. Sunflower used to be a great value by offering Basic Level HD channels unencrypted which saved me $10/month on 4 HD TV's. So when Knology began encrypting many of their non-premium HD and digital SD channels I switched to Uverse instead of paying an additional $40/month.

I am really impressed with Uverse's IPTV and ATT's channel line up! For $9/month more than what I paid Knology; all four TV's are HD, they get many more channels, I got a DVR with a 250GB disk, and I can record up to 4 HD programs at once and then play them back on any TV. The DVR alone is worth the additional $9/month not to mention all the additional channels.

More details on the changes at Knology Cable TV service and why I switched to ATT Uverse can be found here. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/sigmund/2010/aug/4/qam-qualms/

Knology's local management are empty suits and the local staff do their best given the incompetent management and their inane policies and decisions.

shorttrees 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm yet another who is fed up with Knology and their crappy service. I've had more problems in just over a year of Knology service than I had in the previous 10 years total with Sunflower.

Knology is a 3rd rate company at best.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Can appreciate y'all's frustration, but I'm not tech savvy enough to have an opinion. The intertubes went flat so I went outside to water my shrubs.

"horked a routing table." wassat? Is that legal in Kansas?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 5 months ago

See, this stupid network transmits my posts in duplicate, this is the second time.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 5 months ago

Add "ditto" to my experiences. Knology was a bill of goods sold to Sunflower Broadband by a group of snake oil salesmen and now we get the real truth, this is a third rate pseudo service outfit that no one knows where they are. Who they are. Just what the nell was Sunflower thinking or who was paid off to bring this crappy service to Lawrence?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 5 months ago

ylime3499 2 years, 5 months ago

I love AT&T! I switched when our internet was out, called Knology and was told they needed to send a tech. out. Tech. came and said, "It's above my pay grade to know how to fix this". Called the help line back and they said the same thing!! When I went to AT&T it was amazing! I was paying about $80 for Knology internet (cut in and out all the time BUT "up to” 50mbps). Speedtest.net showed I would be at maybe 12mbps, but about 4mbps at peak times. AT&T is a direct line to your house for only you to use. The lowest I’ve been is 10mbps since switching, and I’m paying $39.95 ($40) a month. Knology is horrible.

Keith Richards 2 years, 5 months ago

Knology would not even respond to my request for service. The are lazy, horrible, cheap, and charge bandwith restrictions. Avoid them and their GM at all costs. Kutermeir has absolutely no idea what is going on with his company, he is more PR that a GM. Sunflower knew what they were doing when they sold the company.

Options: Dish/Directv for Cable ATT uverse for everything

ATT DSL for internet.

newtongirl 2 years, 5 months ago

I've heard that you have to call AT&T to confirm availability because their website search is inaccurate.

Rachael Sudlow 2 years, 5 months ago

so what's a good alternative around here to Knology? Sadly, I've found them more reliable than Freenet, but I'm not sure there's any other good options in town....AT&T wasnt available in my area (6th & kasold) for some reason....

JesusChrist 2 years, 5 months ago

I was pooping when the power went out.... that was fun.

MasterShake 2 years, 5 months ago

It was Level3 that had the outage. Anything connected to sunflower (if you are on their network) was fine. Once you tried to leave the Sunflower network, it got lost. If the physical link wan't the issue, they (level3) likely horked a routing table.

Chris Lempa 2 years, 5 months ago

Knology's customer service is terrible. I used to recommend Sunflower to people when they asked about internet providers (this was even with the nonsensical fee I paid for not owning a TV and the data caps). Knology pretty much tanked any decent thing that Sunflower had going for it.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

Their customer service office in Dakota needs to quit lying to customers just because they don't know the answer to a problem. That was the catalyst that caused me to cancel my cable service with them.

Andini 2 years, 5 months ago

Mine's still out. I hate being unable to comment here when it's out like this.

Lauralnk 2 years, 5 months ago

I could not connect on my laptop, however my roommate has a desktop and it worked just fine. Can anyone explain that to me? We use the same modem & router.

Graczyk 2 years, 5 months ago

Knology internet service has been slow for a few weeks at least.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 5 months ago

Knology's customer service sucks, I mean SUCKS. Unbelievably bad. And I mean that in comparison to other companies like AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and others. I really can't express how attractive AT&T became after Knology moved into town. And besides, Knology has really not improved upon the service plans that were offered by Sunflower Broadband.

jaybird79 2 years, 5 months ago

I was at Late Night at the Phog the other week and they had a skit with Knology man playing BBall with other mascots. Funny thing was that every time Knology man touched the ball, the whole fieldhouse booed! It sure doesn't say much for a new company in town draw that kind of ire from so many people. I think many are getting fed up with the poor and unreliable service.

Laura Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

My whole office building was--we have knology VOIP phones and internet. The weird thing? I could access my sunflower email account. It was the only site that would load online.