Letters to the Editor

Trash fees

October 26, 2011

To the editor:

I, too, am a senior citizen living in Lawrence. I live on a fixed income (my Social Security). I am so frustrated to hear about the possibility of mandated trash bins, recycle bins for each homeowner and also an extra charge for the once-weekly yard waste pickup. I rarely have more than one trash bag for curb pickup; I recycle as much as possible to the bins at Checkers and Walmart. I recycle my grass clippings and leaves as mulch but because I live in an older neighborhood, there are always limbs and debris, plus overgrown vine and flower clippings that I need to clean up and put out for the yard waste pickup.

I have read with great interest the articles in the Lawrence Journal-World professing that Lawrence could and should become a mecca for senior citizens. Well, I would wonder how many financially challenged senior citizens would consider Lawrence a budget-friendly city. We Social Security recipients have not had a COLA for two years, so my budget is stretched to the limit.  Every time a new increase or expense comes up, I have to eradicate one more thing from the existing budget. And now with this proposal I would have a monthly trash bin fee, a monthly recycle bin fee and have to pay extra for yard waste pickup. I hope the city seriously considers what a burden these proposed mandates would place on so many of us and makes every attempt to consider the financial status of so many of Lawrence’s citizens.

Comments

Eileen Jones 3 years, 3 months ago

The trash service in Lawrence is the one utility I have never heard a single complaint about. Why is the City Commission trying to "fix" something that is not broken? It's not the money; all these changes will require rate increases, outsourcing to Deffenbaugh will require rate increases. Their "fix" will not make the system solvent without raising rates.

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

We already pay for the yard waste pickup in our bill.

Also, I wonder how people expect the city to provide that service without charging for it?

If you want something, you generally have to pay for it.

skinny 3 years, 3 months ago

Jarfs, that's just it, we don't want it! If the peopke who want to recycle want to recycle let them pay for it! Sounds to me like those who are recycling like their current system anyaway!

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

The letter complains about paying for yard waste pickup, and she claims to use it quite a bit.

Sounds like she wants the service without having to pay for it.

I, on the other hand, pay for it and don't use it very much. But, I don't complain about that, any more than I complain about paying for public schools that I don't use.

I would be glad to have curbside recycling which I would use much more, and not have to pay for yard waste pickup. Or to have the city alternate recycling and yard waste, and not have to pay much more for that. Or to have curbside recycling, and pay for the occasional yard waste pickup. Etc.

Katara 3 years, 3 months ago

Alternating recycling and yard waste pickup sounds like a very reasonable and doable idea.

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks - I hope they'll at least consider it.

But I won't hold my breath :-)

imastinker 3 years, 3 months ago

They pay for dumpsters there. Why should they pay for a service they will not use?

jesse499 3 years, 3 months ago

I think the officials of Lawrence should talk to the ones in Melbourne, Florida they do more for less them Lawrence trash service ever thought about.You but out tree limbs that aren't cut down to size they call in another truck with a cherry picker and they pick it up no problem and no extra charge.Their monthly fee is cheaper to I don't know how they do it but they do it.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

The people that promote these so called improvements never seem to care that the percentage of the pie that goes to the citizen is shrinking every year and the percentage that goes to the government is always expanding.

The government says that inflation is under control, however, we know that is probably not true. At least, the cost of living that most of us deal with everyday is increasing dramatically. Perhaps the government doesn't care as much about those numbers.

One gets the impression from this city commission that it also does not care much about our shrinking portion of the pie.

Katara 3 years, 3 months ago

Senior citizens seem to think that they are unique on being on a fixed income and having to find somewhere in the budget to squeeze in increased expenses.

Barb, I hate to tell you this but most are on fixed incomes and are hurting just as much as senior citizens. You mention not receiving a COLA for the last couple of years. Many employed people have not received any form of raise and many have seen their paychecks cut. Many have lost their jobs and are relying on unemployment (much less than they were formerly making). We're all in the same boat.

Please understand that these increased expenses affect all of us and that you shouldn't oppose this because you are a senior citizen on a fixed income but because it is an unnecessary expense that all people in Lawrence should not be mandated into adding to their budgets.

David Reynolds 3 years, 3 months ago

We need a "Occupy City Hall" until the commission quits imposing "social agendas" and starts seriously acting to improve the economy of Lawrence.