Archive for Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Kansas ethics commission levies $150 fine against Rep. Gregory for using state email account to solicit funds

October 26, 2011

— State ethics officials on Wednesday fined Rep. TerriLois Gregory, R-Baldwin City, $150 for requesting campaign contributions in an email she sent from her state account on a state-issued computer.

During a hearing before the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission, Gregory, who faced a maximum fine of $5,000, said her mistake was inadvertent.

After the fine was levied, she issued a prepared statement, saying, “In the future, I will use every precaution to ensure these errors are not made again.”

She said during the hearing that when she sent the email, she was tired and in a hurry.

She said she was “a quarter-inch off” on a drop-down menu and sent the email on her state account rather than her personal account.

Gregory said she subsequently found out she couldn’t even use her state computer to send emails on a personal account.

State law prohibits office holders from using state equipment for campaign purposes.

The dispute stemmed from a July newsletter from Gregory that touched on several major state issues.

Under the heading “How do we continue?”, Gregory, in her first term, asked for campaign contributions for her 2012 re-election campaign. She asked for contributions ranging from $5 to $500 with a goal of raising $20,000 by Aug. 25.

“Unless you like more taxes, more debt and more regulation, I need to stay in office and hold strong a defensive fiscal line for Kansas,” she said. She included instructions on whom to make checks out to and where to send them.

The newsletter was sent from her state House email account. The complaint was filed by the Kansas Democratic Party.

On Wednesday, she said the email was sent to about 200 people. When asked if she raised any funds from the solicitation, she said she didn’t think so. Commissioners unanimously approved the $150 fine.

Comments

karma2010 3 years, 1 month ago

Inadvertent my rear end. Once again this lady proves that lying can get you by. Nice.

Jana Rea 3 years, 1 month ago

A suitable fine for what was judged a minor, inadvertent misuse of a state issued computer and email account. I don't know anyone more conscientious in her duties to her Kansas constituents. Thankfully the commission did not impugn her disproportionately and the matter is satisfied.

copper 3 years, 1 month ago

I would have to agree. I've always found her to be ethical. We all make mistakes.

Brad Heathman 3 years, 1 month ago

Unlike karma2010 I am proud to have my name attached to this comment. I feel great about this out come. TerriLois appeared before a panel that said this was an error. I personally have sent emails using the wrong identity. Ethics in politics IS IMPORTANT. I have found TerriLois to be ethical. We all make mistakes. Except karma2010 that is. That anonymous person knows more than a panel. Upon reflection, when you make slanderous comments, you do have to be anonymous. What an unhappy person just looking for bad.

Katara 3 years, 1 month ago

How does one send an email using the "wrong identity"?. I can understand using the wrong account but an entirely incorrect identity?

I find it difficult to believe that she just "found out she couldn’t even use her state computer to send emails on a personal account." Most private employers outline employee computer use in employee orientation/or training. Are you suggesting that state employees are not given similar information about the use of state computers?

Being tired and in a hurry is not an excuse for breaking the law. How many private citizens are allowed to use that excuse for breaking the law?

BTW, you are not a verified user so you are just as an anonymous user as karma2010, If heathmanb is your real name, then you just prove what many have said on here before - that using one's real name does not guarantee civil discourse or prevent personal attacks against other users on this forum.

karma2010 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually, in this case yes we do know her real motives better than this panel. Of course everyone can change and I hope that is the case.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 1 month ago

I do not care much about Gregory, never have.

That being said, I think the response is appropriate. It was a mistake and he was held accountable, but it really does not deserve any more attention than that.

FlawontheKaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Ceptin' of course that he is really a she. Pay attention to who you do not care much about.