Archive for Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fatal crash closes I-70 in Topeka for hours

October 25, 2011, 8:33 a.m. Updated October 25, 2011, 10:26 p.m.

— Interstate 70 has reopened to westbound and eastbound traffic more than 12 hours after the fatal, pre-dawn accident of a tractor-trailer.

The crash happened just before 5 a.m. Tuesday, spilling hot asphalt oil from the rig’s tanker and pulling down an overhead sign.

The Kansas Highway Patrol has identified the driver as 57-year-old Paul Cardwell, of Abilene.

The Kansas Department of Transportation said westbound lanes reopened about 4:30 p.m., and eastbound lanes were reopened about 9:30 p.m.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

That is a very technical difference, if there is any difference at all. Roofing materials can be made of coal tar and lap cement, but asphalt is usually used.

For more information:

"Asphalt is an aliphatic compound and in almost all cases a byproduct of the oil industry." Clipped from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_roof

Jstanobservation 3 years, 1 month ago

The original story this morning did not make mention of what the truck was carrying.The Topeka station said"roofing tar".You might want to inform them of the horrible technical difference so they don't make that mistake in the future.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

Exactly why should I inform them of a difference that doesn't exist?

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 1 month ago

A semi tanker of it no less. What a ugly mess to handle. I presume the fatality was from the car which was also involved. Condolences to those involved.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 1 month ago

I presume they may transport roofing tar heated. Does anyone know?

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 1 month ago

Ooops. No car involved. So presumably the fatality might be the semi driver. Accident occurred at 4:48 am near 10th st exit.

sigephandy 3 years, 1 month ago

Sad to hear. Drive that way to work everyday.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

That is a terribly steep curve, and I'm sure it catches many out of town drivers by surprise. There is a sign notifying drivers that a 45 mph curve is ahead, but it does not appear to me to be sufficient notice for people that are from out of town.

In the past, I've seen a semi truck tipped on its side on that curve.

Xwards 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually, the accident occurred at or east of the curve near the Adams Street exit--further east on I-70 than the curve you're referencing. The speed limit is 60 in that area.

lawdog 3 years, 1 month ago

My condolences to the family and my thoughts are with you.