Letters to the Editor

Trash costs

October 22, 2011

To the editor:

Like many people living in Lawrence, we recycle. We set out a small or medium plastic bag of trash for the sanitation engineers to pick up.

We are senior homeowners and live on a fixed income. It’s been at least two years since Social Security has given us a cost-of-living raise. We don’t own a computer or a smart phone. Sometimes, it is a struggle to buy our prescriptions and groceries.

Lawrence is listed as a great place to retire. How many seniors will want to come here if the city keeps finding new ways to tax and raise monthly prices for basic services? How many people will want to purchase a home with the same considerations?

Help us to remain independent and living at home to our life’s end by not raising costs.

Comments

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

I've been recycling ever since WalMart opened their recycling center. We don't need to spend money for recycling bins when we can recycle cardboard boxes for that same use. I've been using them ever since WalMart opened it's recycling center and they've worked just fine. Of course if I had to leave them on the curb for the City to pick up, I'd have to pay for big plastic bins for those infrequent days of inclement weather, plus pay the city the extra fee for picking up the items.

No thank you, I'll continue to do it on my own.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 9 months ago

Recycling and trash bins should come at no charge if the city mandates such. If the bins are not left behind after moving..... bill the culprits.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

"I find it reprehensible that the city is considering requiring us to rent trash and recycling containers whether we would use them our not." The city could consider not charging seniors the cart rental fees.

number3of5 2 years, 9 months ago

Seems to me to be a case of not enough information on the part of someone. If the bins are to be free of charge, then it should be stated as such in print by the city.

been_there 2 years, 9 months ago

I have had the same city trash container for 20 yrs now. That means I have paid $480 to rent that cart. I think they should do a "rent to own" option. So merrill, have you never had anything stolen from you? If somebody steals the cart, is it fair for the customer to be billed? How would you react to being charged for a stolen cart?

Centerville 2 years, 9 months ago

LadyJ, that is a noble sentiment but if the city wants to entangle all of us in a boondoggle, they should charge everyone an equal fee. So we each have an incentive to help decide whether or not it happens.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 9 months ago

If a cart is stolen call in the cops to file a report. Insurance should take care of the rest.... surely the city of Lawrence is insured.

Stain 2 years, 9 months ago

All this mandating of trash is going to have one bad result: some people are not going to dispose of their trash in the right way. You're going to see trash dumped in ditches and restaurant dumpsters.

Don't fix a system that is not broken. And don't outsource to foreign companies like Deffenbaugh.