To the editor:
You can observe the disintegration of a nation to a third class country when:
• it drops its poor in the dump and ceases to care for their interests;
• industry deserts that country and moves its plants to other places in the world;
• its healthy labor unions disappear;
• the poor and disenfranchised resort to crime and drugs to survive; àla “Les Miserables;”
• underground groups begin an internal war of attrition.
Absurd, you say? The decisions of all our leadership, industry and super-wealthy are leading the United States down that path — when a sector of our voters say that the poor are worthless drags on our society; when they say they would rather have persons die than pay for their health care; when we have millions of the middle class slowly sinking into poverty; when the Kochs et al. can come through with so much money common citizens of intelligence and political savvy of our world cannot give their gifts to our nation. When we all passively sit back and do nothing, all the above is a distinct possibility.
How do we respond? The ballot box and peaceful demonstration are the only powers we have. Both require fervent grassroots efforts.