Archive for Tuesday, October 18, 2011

County Commission to consider permit for shooting range

October 18, 2011

Douglas County commissioners plan to consider a permit for a police shooting range just north of Lone Star Lake.

The Fraternal Order of Police would receive a conditional use permit for its shooting range at 768 E. 661 Diagonal Road. The permit would carry rules for scheduling, operations and other matters. The permit would need to be renewed every five years.

Commissioners are scheduled to consider approving the permit during their weekly meeting, which begins at 6:35 p.m. Wednesday at the Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Mass.

Also on the agenda:

• Approving a Class B Club license for The Bird of Lawrence; and cereal malt beverage licenses for Flamingo Enterprises, 1626 E. 1550 Road, and Clinton Marina and Clinton Submarina, 1329 E. 800 Road.

• Agree to proceed with work to acquire rights-of-way and easements to enable improvements along Douglas County Road 1055, which is Sixth Street in Baldwin City, from U.S. Highway 56 to Douglas County Road 12.

Comments

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mill Creek at DeSoto. It's a world class shooting range and not expensive. http://www.millcreekrc.org/cms/

some_random_person 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm so thankful I have family with lots of land to shoot on. I couldn't imagine needing to go to a range to shoot all my guns, what a pain.

Getaroom 2 years, 6 months ago

osur351: Your comments are uncalled for and crude and have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Stuart Sweeney 2 years, 6 months ago

It does not matter how much it seems the police practice--they can't hit the broadside of the barn. How man times have they shot bystanders or shot 70 rounds at a suspect and miss. Hell they are getting their practice on the streets.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 6 months ago

Shotgun or cowboy-action shooting only at Powder Creek. Don't forget Cedar Hill south of Lawrence for trap, skeet, and sporting clays. There's also Lone Oak south of Big Springs for shotgun.

skinny 2 years, 6 months ago

Why would the police/sheriff need a permit for something they've been doing out there for the last 35 or 40 years? It's out in the middle of nowhere!

Abdu Omar 2 years, 6 months ago

A shooting range is a good idea. We have nothing in Douglas County for pistol shooting or a good rifle range. When I want to sharpen my skills I have to go to Overland Park and pay lots of money to shoot.