Archive for Monday, October 17, 2011

KC mom admits she was drunk when her baby vanished

October 17, 2011, 8:49 a.m. Updated October 17, 2011, 2:03 p.m.

— Law enforcement officials launched a new round of searches for a missing Kansas City baby on Monday after her mother went on national television and admitted she was drunk when the girl disappeared but insisted she did nothing to harm the child.

In a tearful interview on NBC's "Today" show, Deborah Bradley said she believes she will be arrested in the disappearance of Lisa Irwin, who was 10 months old when she was reported missing in the early hours of Oct. 4. Security video from a grocery store shows Bradley buying a box of wine and other goods, and leaving the store with a man the family later said was her brother.

Bradley said she bought boxed wine and consumed "enough to be drunk" that night, but denied she did anything to hurt Lisa.

"No, no ... I don't think alcohol changes a person enough to do something like that," she said.

Not long after the interview aired, local and federal authorities began fresh searches for the girl, including bringing tracking dogs into the family's home and draining a nearby creek.

FBI spokeswoman Bridget Patton said agents brought the dogs into the house after Lisa's parents, Bradley and Jeremy Irwin, consented to the search. Dogs were also used to search a next-door neighbors' house.

Earlier in the day, FBI agents used the dogs outside Irwin's parents' home, where he and Bradley have been staying. There were no immediate reports of what police may have found at either property. On Sunday, military police from the Missouri National Guard joined FBI agents and officers from several police and sheriff's departments in searching a large wooded area near the family's home.

In the NBC interview, Deborah Bradley changed a key point in her story: She initially told authorities she last checked on Lisa at 10:30 p.m., but she told NBC she actually last saw Lisa when she put her to bed at 6:40 p.m. She gave no explanation for the modified times. Family members were expected at a news conference Monday afternoon at Bradley's home, but it was unclear whether either parent would show up.

Bradley and Lisa's father, Jeremy Irwin, have told authorities that he arrived home from a night shift to discover the front door unlocked, the house lights blazing, a window tampered with and the baby gone. Bradley and their two sons were asleep elsewhere in the home.

Authorities have already searched the family's neighborhood, nearby wooded areas, a landfill and abandoned homes. Police have said they have no suspects or major leads.

Bradley said police accused her of killing Lisa and that she believes she will be arrested.

"I was the last one with her," she said. "That's kind of a fear that I have."

She said she is scared that her arrest would precipitate an end to the search for her missing baby.

"If they arrest me, people are going to stop looking for her and I'll never know what happened," Bradley said.

She also said her two sons, aged 6 and 8, say they heard noises the night Lisa disappeared, although she doesn't know if they heard noises before they went to sleep or later in the night and she doesn't want them to be involved in the investigation.

"I have not sat down and talked to them about it, specifically to not have to put them through anything else," she said.

On Friday, a $100,000 reward was offered by an anonymous donor for the child's safe return or information leading to a conviction of anyone involved in her disappearance.

Comments

BruceWayne 2 years, 10 months ago

"No, no... I don't think alcohol changes a person enough to do something like that," she said.

Really?

Deja Coffin 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not saying I agree with her but I can see her point. How many times have we heard, "you can't use being drunk as an excuse." especially when people make bad decisions such as driving drunk or sleeping around. If she did do it and then said, "well I was really drunk." nobody would accept that excuse. I think that while you're drunk you do let go of a lot of inhibitions and your mood can definitely be altered, you still have some sense of right and wrong. Or at least I know I do. If it is possible to loss all control of reasoning due to being drunk then that's just a kind of drunk I've never experienced.

As far as her innocence, I'm on the fence. I really don't ever want to accuse a mother of doing the unthinkable but unfortunately it can happen. She sure isn't making herself look innocent.

senegal66025 2 years, 10 months ago

So since the father had a 9-4 shift ( lst time ever that shift) it seems that he would have been home when mom was drunk. So when was the last time he way the baby?By the way I guess my kids were light sleepers because if I had put them to bed a 6:40 p.m they would have not slept through the whole night. And of course mom doesnt want the eight year old involved because he might have a lot of info for the cops about the fatal night was well as other nights.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 10 months ago

There has never been any mention the father being around during evening hours. I think he worked a 10 hr. shift thus that would mean 5:30-6:00 pm he would have started or a 12 hr. shift which would have been earlier.

akt2 2 years, 10 months ago

Mothers of babies do not sleep soundly. Even when they are tired, their bodies are in a maternal mode. They are up checking to make sure baby is breathing and okay. Plus the fact that her husband was working overnight (for the first time), she probably would have locked the door before she went to bed. Alcohol would explain the ability to sleep so soundly while someone was tramping around her house abducting her child.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 10 months ago

There you have it, another case solved by the infamous journal world posters. Send the national guard home, lock mom up and toss the key. The experts have spoken.

brujablanco 2 years, 10 months ago

Heaven forbid anyone other than the great enforcer should jump to any conclusion when it comes to the guilt of anyone in the news.

brujablanco 2 years, 10 months ago

WOW! Ag said nothing that wasn't true. I find it so sad and telling that a poster who, in the past, has tried to ruin respectible peoples' lives, would complain because someone said something about an anonymous name. At least nobody has used her real name as she has done on numerous occasions. Karma, baby, Karma - waiting around the corner.......

KansasPerson 2 years, 10 months ago

Drunk enough to have memory lapses about what happened that night? Or just tipsy enough to sleep more heavily than usual?

Do the parents even get a say in whether the young sons are questioned? I would have thought the police would've already questioned them, but I don't know the laws and procedures on this....

KansasPerson 2 years, 10 months ago

Looks like this answers my first question at least:

"Bradley says the alcohol may have even caused her to black out. “It’s a possibility,” Deborah Bradley tells PEOPLE."

And:

“I had several glasses of wine,” Bradley told PEOPLE. More than five? “Probably.” Asked if she was concerned she might be drunk with her infant daughter inside, Bradley replied, “She was sleeping. I don’t have a problem with me having adult time.”

And:

As far as drinking wine while on mom duty: “People are going to think what they think. Those people that are out there judging me, please, just look for her.”

verity 2 years, 10 months ago

That just doesn't make sense. She doesn't want to question her young sons for fear of unsetting them when it might mean information that could get her baby back?

I was so hoping, as I'm sure everybody was, that this would not turn out badly. It just keeps looking worse and worse.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. Might not be too much longer before this whole thing comes unraveled.

Do they not have a lawyer that can step in and say "You know, you might now want to go on the 'Today' show and spout off about your Franzia. Just sayin'..."

MarcoPogo 2 years, 10 months ago

I meant "you might NOT want to" do that.

Deja Coffin 2 years, 10 months ago

I think she feels like if she shares all the details: the good, the bad, and the ugly then people will see she's too open to be covering something up. The problem is she should have been doing that from day one.

Richard Payton 2 years, 10 months ago

Mom had to change her timeline because she watched TV5 showing video of her buying items. Time to question her other kids? Where was her baby when she was buying booze? Who was watching the baby while she was out shopping? Many questions still not answered.

XEPCT 2 years, 10 months ago

"she changed her story" ... a euphuism for "she lied" ... not exactly the type of situation someone should be lying in ...

acg 2 years, 10 months ago

OMG who doesn't check on their baby for hours like that? When mine were still babies I checked on them every hour or so, whether I'd had a few glasses of wine or not. I just don't understand drinking for four hours and then going in your bedroom and passing out without checking to see if the baby was ok. Any thought to maybe the boys having done something to her, either accidentally or on purpose? New babies bring all sorts of negative emotions to the older kids sometimes. I'm just perplexed.

northtowngrl 2 years, 10 months ago

Am I the only one just now hearing that the boyfriend (the baby's father) is the man she was living with and that her real husband is in the army stationed overseas and he is the father of the two older boys? WTH? This story just gets more and more bizarre and sad.

cooltrix 2 years, 10 months ago

real husband, they are still married

lily 2 years, 10 months ago

Giving birth doesn't automatically make you maternal. I check on my kids all the time no matter the age. I do know someone who just couldn't be bothered to stay up with a sick baby because she needed her sleep! Maybe this mom is the same way. Now that she's admitted to being drunk, that changes perspective on several things. She could have gone outside and not bothered to shut and lock the door, left lights on etc. Did something happen to baby Lisa as a result of mom's drinking? Accidents happen but people are afraid to admit to them.
Who knows. I just hope the truth comes out soon.

Beth Bird 2 years, 10 months ago

The sequel to Casey Anthony in the making....

Tracy Rogers 2 years, 10 months ago

Sounds to me like she learned a lot watching the Casey Anthony trial.

BruceWayne 2 years, 10 months ago

Just watched the family press conference. They can't afford to pay their cell phone bill and drink boxed wine but they can afford Joe Tacopina at $750.00 an hour?

cooltrix 2 years, 10 months ago

I seriously doubt, she could have hid the body that well if she was drunk.

BruceWayne 2 years, 10 months ago

One time I "blacked out" on box wine. Seven days later UPS delivered a drill doctor, a little giant ladder, and the complete Tony Little workout on DVD. I remembered ordering NONE of it.

christine45 2 years, 10 months ago

these are my thoughts exactly, since the baby was already "sick". She was too drunk to measure so maybe she overdid it? Just the look on her face speaks volumes of something she is hiding? Mr. Irwin do you have any feelings at all, you are completely stoic, is this shock or just your regular composure? You dont want to work with the police to help them find your daughter but you will be on Good Morning America and every other television show. I think they should have hired Polly Klaas father to help them or John Walsh, not some fancy lawyer, after all what do they have to hide?? I would stay far far away from anyone Van Der Sloot had for a lawyer, he is a true scum bag! It must be pro bono because you can tell they cant afford it. It makes me mad that so many people out their loose their children to abductions, etc., but something like this gets all the media attention. I am sure many children have went missing since baby Lisa, where is all their attention to help them find their children? If the baby were close by with all the media attention and a reward they wouldve found or heard something by now.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 10 months ago

This whole thing is getting stranger by the minute. Poor lirrle baby girl. And poor little boys who are in that household!!

bearded_gnome 2 years, 10 months ago

possibly high $ lawyer is paid by "benefactor" who supposedly put up $100,000 reward?

I sure don't like the drunk part of this! problem is she should have been doing that from day one.

---however, this is now public. we don't know when the PD learned of her getting drunk with her brother.

anybody wonder about the character of her bro?

if the PD wants to bad enough, they can get a court order to interview the older kids. kids would, I think, have to have atties assigned to them individually, apart from Tacopena/Irwin-Bradleys' lawyer.