Archive for Thursday, October 13, 2011

Franklin County Sheriff’s deputy, 28, dies of unknown causes

October 13, 2011

A 28-year-old Franklin County Sheriff’s deputy died Wednesday night at an Ottawa hospital after he fell ill earlier in the day, Sheriff Jeff Curry said Thursday afternoon.

Curry said Deputy Russel W. Geist was performing his duties at 7:30 a.m. when he became ill and Geist died after 10 p.m. at Ransom Memorial Hospital. The exact cause of death is unknown at his time, Curry said.

“Russel was living his dream as a law enforcement officer and was an invaluable member of this office,” Curry said. “Russel’s contagious smile and warm personality inspired those who worked with him. His leadership, dedication and character were in keeping with the highest standards of the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office and the law enforcement profession.”

Geist is the son of retired Ottawa Police Department Detective Rick Geist, Curry said. Russel Geist worked with the sheriff’s office as a corrections officer in 2005. He became a shift supervisor in the corrections department, and he was promoted to deputy Sept. 21, 2010. He had been serving as a patrol deputy upon his graduation from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center in Yoder.

Franklin County Deputy Samuel Smith died in an accident in July as he was responding to an emergency call around 10 p.m. near the city of Pomona. En route to the call, his patrol car left the road and struck a tree.

Comments

campblood 3 years, 1 month ago

tay794 3 years, 1 month ago

Russel was an absolutely wonderful guy! And no, Moot...there will be no substances found in his body! How dare you make such a comment in such a time of sorrow! There are SO many family and friends hurting over this loss of such an amazing person. Your life must be terribly miserable to make such horrible accusations of someone you never knew. You should be so ashamed of yourself! RIP Russ....you truly touched everyone's lives with that beautiful, contagious smile.

08Champs 3 years, 1 month ago

If I'm not mistaken, I've hit the "suggest removal" on Mr. Moot before

harleywife 3 years, 1 month ago

Good for you......... Mr. Moot needs to be BOOTED!!!!!

08Champs 3 years, 1 month ago

Condolences to the family - for your loss and for the insensitivity of some posters.

pocket_of_sunshine 3 years, 1 month ago

You will be missed by many Russel. My heart goes out to your family and the heartache they must be feeling. You were loved by many and this is truly a loss for the entire community.

harleywife 3 years, 1 month ago

Prayers go out the family and to the Police and Sheriff's Dept. For all of those who have to say such horrible things it is very hurtful and completely unnecessary during this time of sorrow. Please have respect for the family, they just lost a love one. RIP Russel, our community lost another wonderful person!!!!!!! THANK YOU LJW for removing comments that are disrespectful and inappropriate.

cglang 3 years, 1 month ago

Russell you were such a joy and honor to work with and you will truly be missed, not sure why you and Sam were taken from us so young? Both of you were just beginning to live your dream in Law Enforcement. Your brothers and sisters in Blue miss you, take care and watch over us. God Bless our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Jayhawk_4_Life 3 years, 1 month ago

Very sad, my condolences go out to the family and friends. Like I've said before, the LJ World needs to not let people comment on articles related to death. There are too many idiots who want to get a rise out of people.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

"the LJWorld needs to not let people comment on articles related to death."

Or at least not allow anonymous commenters to do so.

Sudden death is always a shock. The only saving grace is that over time his family's and his friend's memories of him as a living person that they cared about very much will override the shadow of his sudden death.

But it's such a cruel fact of life that it takes so long for that to be the case.

At least, that was my experience with situations somewhat like this. It's the most painful thing a person can go through. I really feel for his family and friends.

neolib 3 years, 1 month ago

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.