Archive for Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Archer Daniels Midland looking at possibility of moving researchers to Lawrence

October 12, 2011

Archer Daniels Midland, an agricultural refining company based in Decatur, Ill., is examining whether to establish a presence at Kansas University to bolster a working relationship with researchers at the university.

Precise details of any potential ADM presence in Lawrence haven’t been set, including how many people the company would seek to bring, or where they would locate.

“Nothing has been finalized,” said Bala Subramaniam, director of KU’s Center for Environmentally Beneficial Catalysis, which has been working with ADM for years.

He said any potential new site for ADM researchers would be “a continuation of our partnership.”

KU’s CEBC has been working with the company on a number of projects. The CEBC received a $5.6 million grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture earlier this year to explore ways of turning biomass into chemicals that could replace the petroleum-based chemicals used in a number of household items.

ADM matched a $1.2 million grant from the Kansas Bioscience Authority in 2009 for work with the CEBC’s biorefining efforts. And ADM invested another $1.4 million with the CEBC as part of its most recent USDA grant.

“It’s a continuation of our partnership,” Subramaniam said.

Garnering interest from ADM, a Fortune 500 company, has been good for KU, said Matthew McClorey, executive director of KU’s Bioscience and Technology Business Center on West Campus.

“Any time you have a company the size of ADM take notice of your technology, it’s a nice validation for your university,” McClorey said.

He said ADM has “discussed various options,” but hadn’t made any final decisions about a Lawrence presence.

Comments

mdlund0 2 years, 6 months ago

I've seen your patent and your technology, LesBlevins... it's amazing. You should write a comment at the bottom of an obscure news article on an obscure newspaper website about it. Maybe then people will listen.

Les Blevins 2 years, 6 months ago

Sorry about the fat finger double posting.

Les Blevins 2 years, 6 months ago

I have shown my alternative energy technology to KU Engineering people who at first said it looked very promising and wanted me to show them more about it at my place where I've developed the technology. But when they didn't show up I contacted them to inquire and they said they had changed their minds about it. But I believe what they determined is that what I have invented, patented and developed is the "Fully Disruptive Technology" that Energy Sec. Steven Chu and scientists say the nation needs and this caused KU to back away knowing it wouldn't make ADM and their friends in Big Oil that send money to the KU Endowment Association very happy to see the US begin to prosper.

Les Blevins 2 years, 6 months ago

Les Blevins 2 years, 6 months ago

You guys both are correct and KU would essentially be serving as ADM's lap dog if it opts to continue holding off on the bioenergy collaboration I've proposed to KU's research people. I believe KU is holding me off in hopes of attracting support from the likes of ADM and big oil.

Randall Uhrich 2 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely! ADM is one of the biggest corporate criminals in America. Their record of misdeeds goes way back.

Paul Geisler 2 years, 6 months ago

Please don't get too excited about this! ADM is a horrible corporation looking to monopolize the world's grain & seed markets with patents on genetically modified organisms, much like Monsanto is doing! All you have to do is look at their corporate history to see they put profits above all else! Several key ADM executives were convicted of price-fixing lysine in the 90's and ADM paid a record $100,000,000 fine for their actions; their environmental record is horrible at its 42 plants in 17 states which have resulted in millions in fines; plus they have lobbied Congress to maintain federal subsidies for sugar and ethanol costing the U.S. economy billions of dollars since 1980!