Archive for Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jefferson County woman dies after night of drinking

October 11, 2011

— Des Moines police say a Drake University student from Meriden died after a night of drinking.

According to The Des Moines Register, a police report says Lydia Clark returned home early Saturday after celebrating her 21st birthday. The report says Clark had consumed about 16 shots of alcohol.

About noon Saturday, Clark sought help to use the bathroom. A friend checked on her minutes later and found she was not breathing and called 911. Clark died at a hospital.

The Register reports Tuesday that Drake President David Maxwell sent an email Saturday to students and staff. The email did not state a cause of death.

An obituary on the website of Penwell-Gabel funeral home in Topeka, Kan., says Clark died of an undiagnosed heart condition.

Comments

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

This just makes me mad, I'm sorry to hear it happened.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 2 months ago

The fact is this: no one at this time knows what caused this tragic loss of life. I'm not really responding to this comment per se, but to many below who are writing from rumor and partial information. She was a great person from a great family who simply isn't here anymore to live it out. This is all anyone should be writing at this point.

The article title is misleading, and from my years of studying journalism, is a moralizing smear and contributed to all the negative comments below. If the doctors and family don't know what caused her death, how would the AP or the LJW know?

All the fingerpointing and moralizing is really terrible, and as bad is the incorrect speculation below. I hope that the families involved don't read this very unfair account.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I so agree with you. Have heard what the family is telling friends and this is nothing like it. LJW scores again in bad taste and second hand reporting. Bless this family.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

You're absolutely right, and I admittedly misread the article's time of death, which makes the events much less black and white. It's easy to make assumptions about articles, especially when they are written in this way. Thank you for an honest and kind response.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 2 months ago

Terribly sad. She had 16 shots and you just know there were people pushing her to take more so she could have 21 shots for her 21st birthday...

gsxr600 3 years, 2 months ago

For a girl that is probably 100-150 pounds, 16 shots is a crazy stupid amount to drink, even over hours and hours of drinking. Peer pressure probably played a role but she probably wanted to do 21 shots herself anyway. Surprised this kind of stuff doesn't happen more often around the KU campus.

50YearResident 3 years, 2 months ago

The sadest thing about this is that it was avoidable if medical help was saught earlier by others members of the celebration. You can't sleep off alcohol posioning!

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 2 months ago

So you "know" it was alcohol poisoning? I know it was not. It was ruled out yesterday. Be careful what you read in the papers. Very sloppy reporting. I would be ashamed to publish such an article.

MISTERTibbs 3 years, 2 months ago

Not trying to be contrary, but how do you know it has been ruled out? The full story in the Des Moines paper says results of the toxicology tests won't be available for 4-6 weeks and this just happened last weekend.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 2 months ago

I understand. From what I've heard, the actual amount of alcohol in her body was quite small. The delayed physical problems is another puzzling thing. Poisoning and reaction would seem to be immediate, which this was not.

MISTERTibbs 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like the roomate reacted fairly quickly once she became unresponsive. I suppose if they had sought assistance when she needed help to the bathroom things might have turned out differently.

bangaranggerg 3 years, 2 months ago

If drinking weren't prohibited from minors then young adults could be taught to respect it properly she would likely be alive today. By making it illegal and what "the grown up kids do" you create a culture of binge drinking and alcohol obsession in 17-21 year olds which obviously has deadly consequences.

Clickker 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes. Forbidden fruit and binging are the unintended consequence of the 21 drinking age. 18 is where it should be, and while I respect MADD, their overzelous lobbying and strong arm tactics have led to alot of this.

Take_a_letter_Maria 3 years, 2 months ago

You both are a bit off base. While the proportion of those that drink in the 18-20 year-old group is the highest for binge drinking (i.e. 51% of those people who drink in this group binge drink), 70% of all binge drinking episodes involve people 26 or older.

Take_a_letter_Maria 3 years, 2 months ago

My condolences to the family. I know that I will shortly be going through that night that py describes as I have a child who will be turning 21 before Thanksgiving arrives. I only hope that we have provided a good example as his parents.

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

Too many people leaving us too soon---and the fact that this was totally avoidable makes it seem even worse.

I wonder how many kids, or older people for that matter, realize that they are literally killing themselves when they do this sort of thing. Is it something that more education would at least help? When I was young(er) I certainly didn't know I could drink myself to death in one night.

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

Another tragic loss, regardless of the cause. My condolences to the young lady's family and friends.

lunatic 3 years, 2 months ago

As usual factless debate here. Tragic loss of a young life. Every parents nightmare.

Jayhawk_4_Life 3 years, 2 months ago

So someone please explain to me why Alcohol is legal and marijuana isn't? So many deaths are a result of alcohol, either directly or indirectly

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

Because Big Brother Says So, That's Why.

Mike Ford 3 years, 2 months ago

des moines register online has better article and actually said this girl was from Meriden before LJworld did....I had to look there to find out where in Jeff County this women was from....

JessK 3 years, 2 months ago

DISGUSTED with the title of this article. The cause of her death isn't clear at this time.

Either way, Lydia and her family do not deserve such disrespect.

RIP Lydia, Thought and prayer to everyone mourning over this tragedy.

jafs 3 years, 2 months ago

Without meaning any disrespect or hurt for her family/friends, I think it's a mistake to ignore the problem young people have with alcohol these days, and the many tragic accidents and deaths that occur as a result.

If the reporting is accurate, and she did 16 shots of alcohol in an evening, that's much too much drinking.

There's a website that shows how much alcohol one needs to drink in order for it to kill about 1/2 of the group statistically - it's organized by weight.

Please, everybody, don't drink so much and be careful out there - don't drink and drive, etc.