Archive for Monday, October 10, 2011

Jayhawks ‘hurting’ after loss to OSU

Kansas safety Keeston Terry looks at the scoreboard from the bench during the fourth quarter of the Jayhawks' 70-28 loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 at Boone Pickens Stadium.

October 10, 2011

One by one, Kansas University’s football players strolled off the field and up the ramp to the visitors’ locker room at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Okla., after Saturday’s 70-28 loss at Oklahoma State.

Not one said a word, and each had the same look in his eye and limp in his step.

That typically is the result after giving up 10 touchdowns and 600 yards, and few teams know the feeling better than these Jayhawks, even if they’re not proud to admit it.

“We’re definitely hurting,” KU sophomore quarterback Jordan Webb said. “I don’t think any of us have gotten used to being on this end of these types of lopsided losses. But I think we’re still trying to learn from it and get better.”

No question. Need proof? For the fifth time this season — and third time in four weeks — the Jayhawks showed up at the Anderson Family Football Complex the day after a game with their heads held high.

“That continued,” KU coach Turner Gill said Sunday night. “They’re ready to move on to the next ballgame.”

Small problem. The next ballgame — 8:15 p.m. Saturday vs. No. 3 Oklahoma — has a chance to look an awful lot like the game KU just played. Like OSU, Oklahoma features a high-powered offense capable of scoring in a number of ways. The Sooners differ from the Cowboys in that they pair a stingy defense — ranked 28th in the nation — with their explosive offense.

It’s clear by now this team is feeling the effects of the past few games. After starting out 2-0 and momentarily putting last year’s abysmal 3-9 mark behind them, the Jayhawks have reverted to their old ways. While things got bad at times last year, they’ve reached new lows this year, particularly on defense. Already, KU has seen opponents set single-game records for rushing yards against (Georgia Tech, 604) and passing yards against (OSU, 494), and seven games against Big 12 competition still remain.

“We’re not improving as much as I would like,” Gill said. “I can safely say that.”

Despite all the lows, Gill remains undeterred by the recent setbacks.

“It’s just like anything in life,” Gill said. “Everybody has some good days and some bad days, and that’s kind of the way I look at it. I learn, and I keep on going. I have confidence in the plan that we have to try to move this program forward, and we’re gonna keep on moving forward and make some adjustments and keep coming to work and keep believing and keep having faith and go from there. But I definitely enjoy what I’m doing. That hasn’t changed. Obviously, a few hours after the game, for maybe 12 to 24 hours, you’re obviously disappointed when you have a loss, and you’re elated and happy when you win one.”

Injury update

Gill on Sunday provided an update on the status of running back Brandon Bourbon and safety Keeston Terry. Both players were injured Saturday, and Gill said both are questionable for Saturday’s game against Oklahoma, Bourbon because of a head injury and Terry because of an undisclosed injury.

“I think (Bourbon’s) just gonna be monitored for the next few days and see if anything gets better,” Gill said. “But, right now, he’s definitely probably questionable for sure.”

Jayhawks heavy underdogs

Last week, the oddsmakers set the opening line for the KU-OSU game at Oklahoma State minus 29. That line quickly jumped into the 30s and settled around 32. Sunday, the Sooners opened as 31.5-point favorites and, again, the line soared beyond 35 points by the end of the night.

The KU-OU game will be broadcast by ESPN2.

Comments

jeffwbenson 3 years, 2 months ago

I say my good fellow, we simply must rid ourselves of this morbidly obese man that dares yell at our fine young athletes. 'Tis not befitting Havard on the Kaw...

Hear hear... say no more. The deed shall be done at the earliest chance. Nevermore shall voices be raised in an unseemly manner on the gridiron, nor unsightly men represent our hallowed institution. A return to our fine tradition of receiving beatdowns is in order.

droppinplates 3 years, 2 months ago

You people still talking about Mangino need to get over it. He's gone. And he didn't do jack his last year at Kansas except lose 7 straight games. Mangino was not god, our stands were still emptying at halftime, every game was not a sellout. He improved the program without a doubt, but there are a lot of people that seem to remember KU football as a little more than it was when he was here.

Vaildini 3 years, 2 months ago

7 straight games with perhaps the best QB in KU history, the best recieving corps in KU history a capable RB and recruits which were all his. You see when you lead by fear people will follow you as long as they are scared, well no one was scared anymore. His time is done. His method just ran its course. It will probably work somewhere else for a while. I wish him well.

onewillow 3 years, 2 months ago

What you two need to remember is, yes we lost 7 straight, but we were at least competitive. I didnt see a single time that a Big 12 opponent would have scored 150 points on KU if the other teams coach didnt take out his starters in the 2nd quarter?? 2009 we were beaten by 4 by Col, by 21 by OK, by 21 by Tech, by 7 by K State, by 14 by Neb, by 31 by #2 Texas and by 2 by Mizzou. I will wager that there will be 4 more losses this season where our opponent scores 50+ points. We are simple uncompetitive and a really BAD team.

Don Whiteley 3 years, 2 months ago

The only question unanswered for next week is whether Oklahoma can score 100 points on the KU defense. Of course, the same question would be appropriate if KU were playing Lawrence High.

vuduchyld 3 years, 2 months ago

definitely probably questionable for sure?

webmocker 3 years, 2 months ago

Precisely approximately accurately I think.

BillyGoat 3 years, 2 months ago

Nobody's making Mangino out to be a deity and nobody expects him to come back here anytime soon. He was, however, a good football coach (can you say "Orange Bowl victory") whose main crime was that he (1) was not hired by Lew and (2) didn't look good on the sidelines. Moreover, the manner in which he was railroaded out of town was unseemly. Mangino had his faults but in terms of his performance as a football coach, he didn't deserve to be (in effect) terminated.

Shane Garrett 3 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone ever like their coach? I know I didn't. But, I did what they said to do, cause they scared me.

firebird27 3 years, 2 months ago

OSU's success and KU's lack thereof is due largely to good recruiting and having a comparative advantage over KU to recruit quality athletes out of Texas and Oklahoma, which are larger in population and more devoted to high school football than Kansas. Our Orange Bowl win was glorious, but it only happened because we did not have to play the Universities of Oklahoma and Texas that year. Until this state's population base increases, KU will always difficulty competing and recruiting , and the problem is exacerbated by KSU having a head football coach that comes along only once in a century to a place like Manhattan.

Jayhawk1963 3 years, 2 months ago

What you say is largely true, although T. Boone Pickens athletic gifts/endowments of some 400 million dollars certainly helped too, I'm sure. However, there is an available coach out there who I strongly suspect could make KU competitive if given a chance. That would be Mike Leach, formally of Texas Tech. But, God forbid, he's been known to YELL at his players !!!

After some 55 years of watching mediocre or worse KU football, however, I've sort of given up hope ! I honestly don't see how they sell any athletic tickets other than men's basketball. KU AD's and other administrators have made so many stupid, bone-headed personnel decisions over the years, it makes you wonder how we ever managed to get Bill Self !!!

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 2 months ago

Coach, when for the love of all creation are you going to show some fire in your post-game conferences? Where's the inspiration?

danmoore 3 years, 2 months ago

Would like to see headline read, Jayhawks angry after loss to OSU.

Snoop 3 years, 2 months ago

I ditto the above response:

“Would like to see headline read, Jayhawks angry after loss to OSU.”

I don’t get it either, nobody is angry or outraged.

I predicted and won a bet that Gill would be hired to be the coach and was happy that KU gave him the opportunity. But he and his staff are clearly over their heads. Even the casual observer watching the game can see that some of these players do some inexplicable stuff on the field and are clearly lost as if they have never played football before. I've never seen anything like it. I agree with one local radio talks show said “NO SCHOOL FROM A BCS CONFERENCE SHOULD BE THIS BAD”

I was shocked that the Oklahoma game is on ESPN2, this is a disaster for the future of the KU program. Potential recruits are going to be horrified at what they will witness, not to mention the stadium will be completely red in HD!

If I’m a parent of even a marginal player who would have a shot at playing college football there is no way I would send my kid anywhere near this football program, Pitt St. Washburn, JC somewhere anywhere. Kansas is making headlines nationally for how bad they are, Georgia Tech made a t-shirt mocking their defensive futility.

Unless there is a massive shake-up, passion as someone else said or someone convinces Gill to step aside this program is in deep trouble.

The sad thing is, the offense would be a fun one to watch provided they had a fighting chance.

supersonicf111 3 years, 2 months ago

Only 22 more days until the 1st basketball game, unfortunately we have to endure 3 more beat downs until then!

Oklahoma K-State Texas

Can we all say 2-10 together now???

The only thing nice to see so far this year, is Missouri in the seller with us!

TopJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

It is time for a new defensive coordinatior.

Shealy ain't gonna get it done. He has no scheme.

I hear a Stoops is available. Go get him.