From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Oct. 10, 1971:
- A "tissue-paper monument to school spirit" had been destroyed in the dead of night. A 15-foot Jayhawk homecoming decoration which had been built in front of the Triangle fraternity house had been set on fire overnight. "We're almost sure somebody lit it on purpose," said one fraternity member. "The wiring wasn't even plugged in." The fraternity members were joined by their neighbors from the Alpha Phi sorority at 3:00 a.m. in a spirited four-hour rebuilding project, as they repaired the structure's plywood frame and stuffed tissue paper back into the Jayhawk. As of this morning, it had been reassembled and was awaiting a paint job.
- Squirrels were at the root of some electrical trouble in Lawrence recently, causing small blackouts by scampering around on power equipment. Two short blackouts occurring in the Ninth and Rockledge Road area in the past two days had been attributed to squirrel-frolicking.