Archive for Sunday, October 9, 2011

10-year-old girl dies after I-70 crash

October 9, 2011

A 10-year-old Kansas City, Kan., girl was pronounced dead shortly before 1:30 p.m. Saturday after being involved in a one-vehicle accident on eastbound Interstate 70.

Tamya Jones was riding in a 2001 Dodge SUV when its driver lost control of the vehicle and hit a guard rail. The SUV rolled and came to rest on all four wheels, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol report. The accident occurred at mile marker 225.6, east of 110th Street in Kansas City.

The vehicle’s driver, Novella Jones, 39, was believed to have suffered minor injuries.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

K C T V 5 News, Kansas City clipped from: http://www.kctv5.com/story/15649081/unbuckled-girl-killed-in-crash-on-i-70

A 10-year-old girl was killed in a one-vehicle crash Saturday afternoon, police said.

Tamya C. Jones, of Kansas City, KS, was not wearing her seatbelt. The crash occurred because the red Dodge Durango developed tire problems, according to Kansas Highway Patrol.

The 39-year-old driver was wearing her seatbelt. She was shaken up and had "very minor injuries," Kansas Highway Patrol said.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

Novella Jones, 39, "was shaken up." It's likely that Tamya Jones, 10, was her daughter. Maybe that's why she "was shaken up."

Sean Livingstone 3 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes your child may just unstrap themselves.... mine did when I wasn't aware...

Deja Coffin 3 years, 2 months ago

That is possible. I have had to pull off the road because my 4 year old accidentally unbuckled herself. I am just lucky that she told me and I was able to get her buckled up.

kernal 3 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes it's difficult to convince a child why it's so important to keep their seat built on. I guess we'll never know why this child didn't have hers buckled. So sad.

engagedecoy 3 years, 2 months ago

Not trying to be uncaring or anything of that nature. But, I always got my @ss spanked for not wearing my seatbelt. Too bad nobody disciplines their children that way anymore. Sad Story.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 2 months ago

How sad. I wonder if she took it off w/o her mom knowing? If mom wears one, hard to believe she wouldn't make her child wear one also. Our grandkids once or twice have gotten themselves unbuckled. We pulled over, got them buckled again and went on our way. Hope the girl getting herself unbuckled isn't what caused the accident.......prayers to this woman and her family.

doc1 3 years, 2 months ago

And replace those darn bald tires people!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

That's a very good point! But there's another hidden danger - I read someone's comment on this forum a while ago that driving on tires that have their air pressure too low is the number one cause of sudden and unexpected blowouts, which very often lead to complete loss of control of the vehicle. I strongly suspect that was the cause of this tragedy, which will forever shadow Ms. Jones' life.

So be sure to check your tire pressure once in a while, don't just assume that since the car is riding so nice, everything is OK!

Brandi Simpson-Glover 3 years, 2 months ago

so sad. I cannot imagine having to live with the guilt of your child not being seat belted on the highway and dying in an accident :(

Mike Ford 3 years, 2 months ago

my mom was wearing seatbelt and had vehicle with side airbags and was t-boned on an off ramp of I-10 in Mississippi in 2009. She died. My brother was wearing seatbelts in his 1977 Toyota pickup when he endoed a median on I-70 west of Maple Hill and was thrown 50 feet in front of his vehicle on the interstate. Three months in hospital with sight permanently lost in one eye and hearing in one ear and no short term memory. Eighteen years later he survives. Do seatbelts really work???

KISS 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes. Yes they do. It's not even debatable. The testing and statistics support it hands down. Do they work 100% of the time for every accident? No, of course not. But the ones where a seatbelt doesn't help are few and far between the ones where seatbelts save lives.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

I am alive, and I can even walk! That's proof that seatbelts work.

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

I survived getting my car totaled with a few minor injuries. It was hit and spun around with such force that my knee bent the window handle and there was a large dent in the door right under the window and a matching bump on my head---no air bags in those days but I did have a seat back that kept my head from whipping back too far. If I hadn't had on a seatbelt I probably would have ended up on the pavement where my glasses were found---either dead or irreparable.

I wear a seatbelt religiously. On this one, I'll go with the statistics and my own experience.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

There's nothing like realizing that your car is going to collide headon with some trees at highway speed and there is nothing you can do about it now. Actually though, it was an illusion. After it was all over, my car was wrapped around only one of the trees.

It all happens in very slow motion. You have plenty of time to think about what is going to happen to you, that's for sure.

And, there's nothing like being a passenger in a car that is upside down, and rolling in the ditch. Again, in slow motion. It's the strangest thing.

I'm sure glad my Dad hit that deer and we ended up in the ditch so many years ago. All I could think about the whole time it was happening was the fact that my seat belt was not on.

After that, I have always worn it.

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

This is a horrible tragedy. Maybe we should save our arguments for more abstract threads and just acknowledge the tragic loss of a child in a violent accident here.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

"Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from." - Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Deja Coffin 3 years, 2 months ago

Sending the friends and family of this little girl prayers of strength and comfort in the days ahead. So truly sad.

pace 3 years, 2 months ago

I am sorry for the family's loss. They are in my prayers. My kid made me buckle up, she made me a better mom. I wish the comments were turned off when a child has died. The finger pointers and uncouth trolls always jump in and try to hurt people even more.

classclown 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree with those of you that say it's ludicrous that someone would strap them self in but not the child.

While speculation seems to focus on whether she had her seat belt fastened or not, I have a different possibility for consideration.

Failure.

That vehicle is 11 years old. I've known seat belts in vehicles a decade old that has been used often to not actually lock. The wear and tear of the belt being latched/unlatched over the years takes its toll. You can fasten your seat belt and hear the click, but a good tug may very well disconnect it. The forces that come into play in a situation such as this accident, are certainly enough to unlatch a worn out mechanism.

Like the rest of you I have no idea what really happened, but I find myself wondering if that could have been the cause.

Beth Bird 3 years, 2 months ago

That is an excellent point that had not been mentioned. I feel so sorry for this family as they deal with this loss. I can't imagine....