Archive for Saturday, October 8, 2011

One person dead following all-terrain vehicle accident in field east of Baldwin City

October 8, 2011, 9:09 a.m. Updated October 8, 2011, 7:59 p.m.

Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies were called Saturday morning to the scene of a fatality accident in a field east of Baldwin City involving an all-terrain vehicle.

The body of 21-year-old Preston Scheibler, of Lawrence, was found in a field northwest of the intersection of North 500 and East 2300 roads, according to a press release from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.

Scheibler was pronounced dead at the scene, which deputies were led to by a Kansas Wildlife and Parks Conservation officer.

Officials are investigating the cause of the accident, which they believe occurred late Friday or early Saturday. Scheibler’s body was discovered just after dawn.

Comments

JHawker 2 years, 6 months ago

I have never met Preston but have known his step-mom for a long time and have always heard many wonderful things about him, his good, strong character, and how personable and kind he was to others. May he rest in peace and may all the strength and gentle kindness be with his family through this time.

My sn is the "original" JHawker - I cannot see the hurtful comments made above and am saddened to see that person's screen name is similar to mine.

We'll remember the infectious smile and personality of Preston Scheibler. RIP.

David Dunlap 2 years, 6 months ago

Preston couldn't have been a nicer young man. He will be missed greatly.

zip2play 2 years, 6 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Liberal 2 years, 6 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to Preston Scheibler's family and friends he was loved by many and liked by all who knew him and it is a tremendous loss not only for the family but all of Lawrence. Let's all remember how precious life is and let Preston's memory inspire us to live life fully but with the knowledge that any one of us can be taken at anytime. May G_d bless Preston and his family and may the memory of his smile and disposition be a comfort to those who loved him.

ang_1966 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm sorry mom_of_three, but it's not a matter of having the right to be stupid. It's a matter of having some common sense and some compassion for the loved ones who may happen to see some of this stupidity. I wish they would just take the whole 'post a comment' thing away. It may be our right to say whatever we want...but that doesn't make it okay and you just can't trust some people to use good judgment. The point is that someone died. That someone meant a lot to a lot of people...including my daughter.

PeacePlease 2 years, 6 months ago

Preston Scheibler was one of the kindest, funniest, and most likeable people I have met in my life. In the ten years I knew him, I had the privilege of getting to know his family. Though Preston and I were never close friends, his family embraces me every time I see them. It was very clear how much they loved him and how proud of him they were. Preston touched everyone's life that he met. I will always remember his goofy laugh and huge smile and the good times he shared with all of his friends. I am so thankful I can say that I knew Preston Scheibler. To Preston's family: You are all such good people and my heart is truly breaking for you. I'm sorry for your loss and I will send so many prayers up for you.

Jeanette Kekahbah 2 years, 6 months ago

JHawker...wow...what a miserable person you must be to insist on inflicting YOUR personal frustration on others in such a desperate manner. The neighborhood this young man is from is less moneyed than North Lawrence. I know, I live here. Take your baggage elsewhere.

My prayers to the family.

listener 2 years, 6 months ago

RealityPlease....very well said! Thank you for reminding us all of how to live. I can't agree more with your assessment of Preston. A truly wonderful boy/man. He will be missed. He died like he lived....full of energy and having fun! His family and friends will miss him tremendously. I hope they find comfort in knowing that he was loved by all who knew him!

realityplease 2 years, 6 months ago

I was reading this last night and was appalled by some of the cold, tasteless remarks made by some of the posters. But decided not to respond. Then the more I thought about it, I felt like I was not doing Preston and the family justice by holding my tongue.

First of all, LJ World, I have emailed you before about this but will do so again. Let's either not allow posts on stories about a death or if you make a cold tasteless post, LJ World ban that person for life. Come on people, use compassion and love.

It really doesn't matter at this point how Preston died. We can all learn from every death there is. But we don't need posters using this as a forum to get on their political soapbox. We can all go thru life saying "don't walk across the street", "don't ride an ATV", "don't eat fattening foods", "don't ride a rollercoaster" and the list goes on and on. Or we can embrace life for what it is. Live life to the fullest and when we are called to God's kingdom, we can go freely, knowing we truly lived. As Abraham Lincoln once said...."In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Ok...now off my soapbox...

I think anyone who knew Preston can say he knew how to live life. I knew Preston thru his father and step-mother. Didn't know him well but every time I saw him, I was treated as if I was one of his best friends. Always a smile on his face and so full of love and compassion for others. The family should take comfort that the world, while only for a short time, was graced by Preston's presence, his love for life and that beautiful smile. The world is a better place than it was before he was born.

I can't even begin to imagine what the family is going thru right now. However all my love and prayers are now with the family in this difficult time. Hugs to all of you.

Shelbyrules 2 years, 6 months ago

Before any other post, everyone stop for a moment and consider the family and friends of someone who is now gone.

JHawker2011 2 years, 6 months ago

BKRJMG 2 years, 6 months ago

@jhawker, thanks for your senseless, thoughtless, rude comments. Please change your name bc you embrass me to be a fellow jayhawk.

JHawker2011 2 years, 6 months ago

Bladerunner 2 years, 6 months ago

JHawker2011 2 years, 6 months ago

smichaela92 2 years, 6 months ago

I cannot believe that people are arguing over ATV statistics and ATV safety on this article. Someone lost her brother, his parents lost their son, so many peers lost their friend, and Preston lost his life. No one deserves this. Preston was a great, talented person. My thoughts and prayers are with the Scheibler's.

sweetasawhisper1 2 years, 6 months ago

My family knew his family. My brother was a childhood friend. I am so sadden to hear about this. I can't even begin to imagine the hurt, and pain the Scheibler family is going through. My prayers and thoughts are with you during this extremely difficult time. Keep on smilin' and shinin' PS.

lawwrangler 2 years, 6 months ago

I also know this young man and I am deeply saddened by this news. I had the honor and privilege to coach him a while back. He had an infectious smile and a free will. He would make you smile and laugh even when he had pushed all the wrong buttons. This one of the traits that made him who he was and I know I am a better person and a better parent because I had the opportunity to be a very small part of his life. He was a player but most importantly he was a friend…rest in peace “Ace”….. To his family: I can only imagine the pain of his leaving, I will not pretend to indicate I understand that pain. I hope, once the shock of his sudden departure has sunk in and has been absorbed, you will find the strength to celebrate his life and all the joy and love he brought to you.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers......

Deja Coffin 2 years, 6 months ago

As someone who lost her brother-in-law 5 years ago to an ATV accident, I am truly saddened to hear this story. It brings back a lot of memories of that day and my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of this person. Losing a young person with such potential in any kind of accident is truly a tragedy and I hope that this person's family can find strength in the days ahead. I wish I had some kind of wisdom or comforting words from going through something similar to this accident but the sad truth is that there are no words that can make this easier for them. I hope that they can find comfort within each other in this tough time.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Laughable?? What on earth is wrong with you?

moot 2 years, 6 months ago

you can get killed walking your doggie.

dsharkie8 2 years, 6 months ago

That was a thoughtless, senseless comment!

doc1 2 years, 6 months ago

I too knew the boy and his family. Such a young man full of potential. Sad Sad Sad.

shyne 2 years, 6 months ago

I do not find this a laughing matter. The person who was killed was a family member of mine and its sad that nobody has time to tell family about the loss before its all over and people have such hatefull comments....

akt2 2 years, 6 months ago

According to scanner traffic there was also a vehicle involved. They seem to know what kind of vehicle and who was driving.

felixiscariot 2 years, 6 months ago

when will people learn the dangers of such a stupid machine. Still, my thoughts to the family. I hope it wasn't a child.