Archive for Thursday, October 6, 2011

Town Talk: Even nice old ladies ready to fight about trash carts; downtown spot to discontinue Sunday brunch; Occupy Wall Street appears to be coming to Mass. Street

October 6, 2011

Subscribe to the Town Talk email edition

Subscribe to the email edition of Town Talk and we'll deliver you the latest city news and notes every weekday at noon.

News and notes from around town:

• Instead of writing this column this morning, I was at a meeting of the Jayhawk Breakfast Rotary Club stuffing my face with bacon and hashbrowns and serving as a guest speaker about City Hall and media issues. (Don’t worry, the most you missed out on was the bacon. I’m rarely ever worth getting up early for.) But I did hear from some folks after the meeting about this issue of changes that may be coming to the city’s trash service. One nice, mild-mannered, cane-carrying, lady told me that she was “going to have a fight” with City Hall if they try to require her to use a plastic cart for her trash. I told her I thought she’d better get her fighting gloves out because I think the idea of requiring residents to use city-issued plastic carts is going to be a strong recommendation of the Solid Waste Task force. I’ve heard several task force members say that the use of carts is far better for the city employees who do the heavy lifting of disposing of your trash. With a cart, they’re able to wheel it up to a hydraulic lift and let technology do the heavy work. It doesn’t work that way with a normal trash can. Plus, let’s be honest, at some point in time it could allow the city to have fewer people on each trash crew, although what I hear is that any reduction in staff likely would be through attrition as the city gradually upgrades the technology of its trash truck fleet.

I think the bigger issue for debate may be whether the city-appointed Solid Waste Task Force is doing enough to recommend new efficiencies. I’ve heard from at least one person inside City Hall who has questioned whether the task force is on the right track by saying there will be three separate services — regular trash, curbside recycling and yard waste. Under that system, people may be setting something out on three different days of the week, which means heavy solid waste trucks would be traveling over essentially every street in the city three days a week. One issue that may get more study is whether there are trucks out there that would allow the city to pick up both trash and recycling on the same day with the same truck. (In other words a truck that has two separate containers.) I also think there might be some more discussion about whether the yard waste service ought to be automatically a part of everyone’s bill (meaning trucks have to drive by every residence to see if yard waste has been put out to the curb) or whether it ought to be a subscription service that people pay something extra for.

What I know will be up for discussion, though, is this cart issue. And just because I expect it to be a strong recommendation from the task force doesn’t mean that it is a done deal. As I told the Rotarians today, one of the strongest forces in Lawrence politics is a well-organized crowd. When the chairs at City Hall fill up, you never know what decisions might be made.

I am writing an article that attempts to answer some questions surrounding the trash and recycling issue in Lawrence. So if you have some, list them below and I’ll consider including some of them in the article that should appear in the next few days.

• Speaking of breakfast, there soon will be one less place to get breakfast downtown on a Sunday. (Well, brunch technically, but I have a Mimosa with all my breakfast meals, so I sometimes don’t make the distinction.) Steve Maceli of Maceli’s catering told me that his business at 1031 N.H. will offer its last regular Sunday brunch on Oct. 16. Maceli said profit margins for the brunch business are lower than traditional catering events, and he and his advisers have made the decision to discontinue the brunch offering. The business will offer brunch on Mother’s Day, Easter and perhaps some other special occasions. Maceli is urging people who have brunch certificates to the business to use them by Oct. 16, or to call the business, 331-2096, with questions.

• Speaking of organized voices, it looks like Wall Street won’t get to have all the fun when it comes to protesters. A group called Occupy Lawrence is sending out messages through the social media world about a Wall Street-style protest or “occupation” that will happen at noon on Saturday at Ninth and Massachusetts streets in front of US Bank. No word on how long the protest/rally/occupation is slated to last. As this article from the Christian Science Monitor noted, the the Occupy Wall Street movement — which, of course, is spreading to lots of cities — lists “virtually every progressive concern of the early 21st century in its current manifesto.” Given that, this group could be in Lawrence a long time.

Comments

Scott Morgan 2 years, 6 months ago

BTW.....in not letting the truth get in the way of many of you regarding the Big Green moving into Lawrence please note.

Ronnie Deffenbaugh began his trash hauling from very very meager beginnings. (D.I.) Whether you liked him or not, he built a fine local business.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

Paranoia, wide and deep: And you'll benefit from their struggle when all is said and done. Unless you're a one of the psychopaths on Wall Street. Instead of bad mouthing, you should join them. If you only understood the extent to which this country has been raped by the minority, i.e. Wall Street, the micc, picc, ricc. (The Military Industrial Congressional Complex, Prison Industrial Congressional Complex, & Religious Industrial Congressional Complex) These are our true enemies. Not some cave dwelling inhabitants from a third world country.

Warriors of the World Unite!

---nice to see Boohoozo living down to his/her/its usual vapid empty posting.

OTM: I purposely chose Ann Coulter because a) her comments on the "mob" do apply to the OccuHippies' behavior, and b) I know she will get under your skin, LOL!

getaroom: displaying typical liberal prejudice and mindrot.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

Observar wrote: Talk about a wild unsubstantiated claim. Do you seriously believe the Tea Baggars actually are intelligent enough to read and understand the constitution?

---nice! loonie left Observar/et al engages in the mindless sexual vulgarity to put down those with whom he/she/it disagrees. yet, when the Tea Partiers are done rallying in a place, it is often cleaner than before they started.
can't say that about these violent anarchist law breaking OccuHippies.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

Dad wrote: If i am not allowed to paint the Tea Party as a group of uneducated racist hypocrites simply because a few of them are, You are not allowed to paint them as America loving constitutional scholars simply because a couple of them might be.

---problem is, many during the past weeks among the OccuHippies have expressed the desire to overturn the constitution. if you cannot see the difference, you truly are an ignorant.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

Paul wrote: We've discussed this before b_g. The trash issue was brought up 2-3 weeks ago and we had a small but healthy discussion on it.

---okay, and what was the outcome then? I'm sorry to say that I think the city forcing everyone to pay for recycling, and to have two carts is rather draconian.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

OTM wrote: The problem is, you don't realize these people are protesting for YOU! They are YOU. and you want to ignore the fact that the people you support and believe in do not care one whit about you.

---Sorry, you're wrong. in their own words, their own signs, their own manifestos, their own hundreds of arrests and violence, no. no, they wish to overturn capitalism, they've said so.
Herman Cain described them correctly. they are not grassroots like the Tea Party. and in the past weeks their causes for protest have ranged across dozens of "progressive" topics.

Wall Street gave much more to Obama, their president, than to the Republicans. yet, they're not protesting him.

Cain and others believe this "occupy Wall Street" is just another ploy to aid Obama's reelection.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

merrill's slipping. His copy/paste text is usually longer. Could he finally be getting tired of seeing the same stuff over and over and over? Hmmmmmm

JHOK32 2 years, 6 months ago

All I can say is: It's About time People started waking up to what's going on in this country! At the end of Bush's term he gave tax cuts to the rich & de-regulated the banking industry. We had Exxon-Mobil making more profits that any U.S. company in history!! All while our boys were giving their lives in Iraq so the fat cats can get even more rich by grabbing all this freaking "free" oil! We already know that 20% of the fat cats own at least 80% of the wealth in this country, which means that there's about 20% left over for all of us 300 Million schmucks to fight over ( the bread crumbs). Stand up & say "We Are NOT Taking This Anymore !!! " We are sick to Death of all this Corporate Greed !! It is killing our country! Get Mad America !! Now is the time !!

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

As far as I can tell, the report from the advisory board hasn't been formally presented, it hasn't gone through the commission, so asking for details of implementation is premature. I do think the commission and the task force would be open to remarks from the public. I hope it isn't all up to Chad. Thanks for the updates and progress reports. I do not mean to refute the person who is eager for curbside collection to include glass. I respect their opinion, each person is entitled to their opinion and our reasons and criteria may be different. I don't like paying for a system dedicated to a dead end for what I consider useful material. I think changing the system will involve cost. I would like to add I hate the idea of losing our solid waste infrastructure, equipment and crew. Going to deffenbaugh would be a costly mistake. The solid waste division is an infrastructure built up over decades, conforming to our unique community , the personnel have served the city and their knowledge and skills should not be considered disposable. They do more than most people know. My crew, leaves our area cleaner than they find it. They have been great. they are answerable to us. Deffenbaugh would not serve us, they would only serve themselves. They do not have a good reputation.

forgetful 2 years, 6 months ago

Chad, a question from a business owner: if the city will charge residents extra for extra trash (beyond what would fit in their containers), it's not hard to connect the dots and see that neighborhood residents will dump their extra trash in my dumpster. We already see that at various times of the year, and tolerate it as long as everyone hits the dumpster. It's hard to believe it wouldn't get worse. Will the city charge me extra if we are forced to additional pick ups? I hate to spend money to lock up my trash dumpsters.

jonyskym1a 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Welcome to buy cheap Canada Goose Jacket . http://www.canadagoose2011parka.com

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 6 months ago

Macelli's needs a lesson in PR 101. He should honor every certificate out there with a big grand opening brunch at the Moronic Temple.

It's pretty easy Mr Steve.

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't agree the recycling should include glass. Glass is a problematic material, heavy and easily contaminated material. The glass market is very limited since the Liberty glass company moved from Oklahoma to Mexico. I think the initial collection should be metal, paper/cardboards. Those markets are strong and the collection pretty standard. The recovery value of metals have the most financial impact but also the strongest environmental and energy savings. The paper/board markets are pretty reliable. There isn't a home or business in this town that doesn't produce recyclable paper/boards. Plastic and glass should be left to drop off sites. I appreciate people want to recycle Plastic and glass to but the point of recycling is to return usable materials to production manufacturing, to reduce pollution, to reduce energy use. I do take plastics to drop off site. I have seen glass and contaminants to destroy recycling efforts. I want curbside collection. I want it to be the best bank for the buck and one we can sustain. I have never been crazy about curbside collection of grass and leaves, I compost, but I appreciate that other people find a community composting system beneficial. In the long run changing our system of collection dividing the reusable from the trash will be a good long term investment , not just for our community , our country but for business in general. We are trashing good income and resources. We will need them more in the future. I do appreciate recycling, I hate waste. One of the most interesting about a city wide curbside collection is, it is an incredible education for it's users on how to reduce. I just say no to a lot of packaging. A lot of our recyclable is packaging sold to us, to extend shelf life with so little thought to design it is ridiculous. Blanket collection will not serve each individual with precision, but the community will be served,

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 6 months ago

Local bank. Excellent comment, kernal, full of win. Thanks.

kernal 2 years, 6 months ago

For over forty years, I've banked locally no matter where I lived in the U.S. beginning with my very first savings account when I was eight. Guess I was raised to keep my dollars in the community where I live as often as I can. Don't know what the rest of youse are doing.

Bank of America having a branch in Lawrence does not make it local.

lunacydetector 2 years, 6 months ago

why do the city trash trucks have very expensive mercedes benz engines?.....an inquiring mind wants an explanation

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

These same crooks are trying to steal trillions of Social Security and Medicare Dollars. Yes they only want a crack at the gov't programs that are working because of the big time tax dollars that will flow into CEO's, golden parachutes, bonus packages,special interest campaign jars etc etc etc.

Let's not get duped again!

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

The idea that the trucks may be operating three separate days a week is enough to make this not very environmentally friendly, given the very low mileage and high emissions they get.

Last time I checked, city trash trucks get about 3 mpg.

I certainly hope they'll figure something out that doesn't include a 3 day run, which will cut into the environmental benefits of recycling quite a bit.

average 2 years, 6 months ago

Really don't see much difference with 'three heavy solid waste trucks a week'. We already have this right now. There may be a handful of blocks in town without anyone subscribing to the Deffenbaugh recycling, but not just a whole lot. We already have city trucks going down every street for trash and yard waste (in season). 'Three a week' is exactly no change whatsoever.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

Be smart = Move Your Money

Face it Bank of America should be subject to an FBI investigation and Grand Jury probe now over the home loan scandal. They are in it up to their ears. Goldman-Sachs should also.

Bank of America and Citicorp/Citibank should be nationalized and executives sent to prison! YES!

Move Your Money - To local institutions and do your community a large favor.

A database to assist those wishing to move their money out of big banks that took taxpayer money and used it to pay themselves large bonuses:

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

There are at least 3 substantial and legitimate reasons to be on the street:

1. The Reagan/Bush Savings and under Bush/Cheney sent the economy out the window costing taxpayers many many $$ Loan Heist(Cost taxpayers $1.4 trillion), millions of jobs.loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

2. Wall Street Bank Fraud on Consumers = $ trillions, millions of jobs lost, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance plans. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

3. ONLY 3 financial institutions instead of several were at risk so why $700 billion in bail out money? One of the biggest lies perpetrated on American citizens by Bush and Paulson. http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

Steve Jacob 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand the Occupy Wall Street movement. Maybe three years ago, but why now? If they want things to change, don't elect the same leader of our country next year. To quote Emanual Cleaver "If Bill Clinton had been in the White House and had failed to address this problem, (black unemployment) we probably would be marching on the White House."

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 6 months ago

Wonder why there is no tax base in Lawrence? Much of it is because you cant tax the city, its properties or assets. Who in their right mind would support things that the private, tax paying sector could do being done by a governmental organization?

The failed, money sucking empT is a great example. Lets put the taxi cabs out of business. The solid waste department is another example. The city could put out for bids the trash service and actually make money. Seems they would rather pay out larger than normal salaries, retirement, medical and other things at the taxpayers expense. Imagine how much money the city could save, farming out this service. Rid themselves of the overhead which includes the maintenance facilities, support staff and repair parts.

One of these days there will be zero tax base to support these operations, then there will be nothing for anyone and we can all sing together while freezing under the bridge.

d_prowess 2 years, 6 months ago

If the city provides recycling, I think it must include glass. I don't think the Deffenbaugh service does now and that is why we pay a 3rd party company to provide the service.
In my opinion, the city has to either offer a total recycling pick up service, or none at all. To force folks to pay for a recycling service that still would require folks to recycle glass on their own seems crazy!

Sarah St. John 2 years, 6 months ago

So how are the mimosas at the Jayhawk Breakfast Rotary Club? :-)

consumer1 2 years, 6 months ago

How many apartments and how many student's live in apartments who live and vote in this city? Will each resident be required to purchase two trash cans? Nursing homes? Will each resident be required to buy one of these things?Fraternities? Soroities? bording homes ? Will the city have recycling for each office ? The country?

Don't expect to give yourself special treatement If we must pay and abide by this rediculous city rule, you must also!! fire Dept. Police dept. KU! Quit trying to bleed homeowners to death!!

Eric Neuteboom 2 years, 6 months ago

One question I have, that has so far remained unanswered, is if we move to mandatory recycling, will glass be taken?

irvan moore 2 years, 6 months ago

is maceli going to ask for more taxpayer handouts so he can continue to serve brunch

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

Tea Party was named for people who broke into a ship, stole the goods and tossed em over the side of the boat. Thems is crimes making thems criminals so dont bes gettin yo undies in a bunchiesas with this gaggle of peeps 1773 B-TP= felony. Too bad the tea party of today is not much more than and offshoot of the kkk

flyin_squirrel 2 years, 6 months ago

I would like to know: 1. Will I be charged a rental fee for this cart, or can I buy a similiar one at a local store? 2. In my neighborhood (the Oread), we have dumpsters and the city doesn't pick up carts/trash cans. What is the city going to do here? And am I now going to have to have a recycling dumpster in my alley as well, taking up another "sought after" parking space? 3. What happens during student move-in/move-out when the entire alleys are full of trash? One cart isn't going to do the job... 4. For the houses in the Oread with 5 apartments, are there going to be 10 carts (one for trash, one for recycling at each apartment)? And where will the tenants have to put the carts to get them emptied? In the alley?

Another example of the city getting into private business and not thinking it out very well. Way to go Mayor Cromwell!

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 6 months ago

rockchalk1977(anonymous) says… "Wall Street-style protest or “occupation” that will happen at noon on Saturday".

Maybe they should combine this with the Zombie Walk. Is it too late to get the knit cap concession?

lol... good one

Went to the pub with my girlfriend last night. Locals were shouting "pedophile!" and other names at me, just because my girlfriend is 21 and I'm 50. It completely spoiled our 10th anniversary.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

I got a note last pick-up that one of my trash cans was an unapproved container. It's a 35 gal plastic container that I've attached handles too, much stronger than my cheap thin trash can. I've been using it off and on for a year now, suddenly it's not approved.

Orwell 2 years, 6 months ago

Where, exactly, am I supposed to keep the new eyesore cart - or carts - all week? My garage is barely big enough for two cars plus the yard equipment I can't put in an outbuilding due to property covenants. Also, either I'll have to leave the carts in the yard or (if I can fit them in the garage somehow) I'll have to move one or both cars every time I have to get the carts to the curb.

Just how much inconvenience and ugliness are we required to bear for this "improved" city service?

conservative 2 years, 6 months ago

There are already plenty of ways to recycle in Lawrence, either through 3rd parties or by taking the stuff yourself. The city needs to stay out of this business. If they want to make more people recycle simply charge enough money for extra bags of trash beyond the cart and people will take up recycling.

jesse499 2 years, 6 months ago

I think city empolyees are not going to be doing it much longer anyway the big green trucks have got there foot in the door now. But from what I've heard Waste Management would be cheaper the both of them.

peartree 2 years, 6 months ago

I want to know if the city will make people pay to rent the carts. We bought two nice ones on our own a couple of years ago. Are they now useless, and we will be charged to rent other ones?

We use Deffenbaugh's recycling service. In this case, private industry is doing a great job providing a good service at a reasonable price. I hope I get to keep it.

I like the yard waste service the way it is. In our old neighborhood, we put out lots of yard waste that is neither grass nor leaves. I fear if it changes and we are charged for pick up, people will do less yard upkeep or rake their smaller waste into the street.

Janet Horner 2 years, 6 months ago

Chad - what about citizens who pay for private recycling service which accepts many more items than the current Deffenbaugh offering. I will be very unhappy if I am forced to use the city's service and am able to recycle less than I am now. Will there be some sort of process to submit proof of my payment/account for private recycling service in lieu of the mandatory city one?

deec 2 years, 6 months ago

Will people be allowed to leave the carts at the curb when the weather is snowy and they are unable to move them back into hiding? Will residents be charged if the carts are stolen/damaged? Will the city clear cut the trees in the alleys to create enough room for the hydraulic arm to operate? What happens with bulk items that don't fit in the cart? How about move-out season? How will they handle the extra garbage in May, late July and early August? Will trash bags be required, or can residents just dump their garbage into the carts? How will trash be handled for people physically unable to wheel the carts to the curb?

Deb Stavin 2 years, 6 months ago

"Tea Partiers support the constitution, and have actually read and understood it. "

You cannot be serious.

rockchalk1977 2 years, 6 months ago

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

Occuhippies, more on their mob behavior, and comparing them to the Tea Partiers (who are the true patriots).

very well "liked" there.

consumer1 2 years, 6 months ago

Chad, will all apartment complexes have recycling bins, how about the frateraties, sororaties, All the renters? all the rooms available to students on daisey hill, or will this just be a levie holding homeowners and full time taxpayers under the gun? What about business's?

Jillster 2 years, 6 months ago

I will miss brunch at Maceli's. It was such a lovely change of pace from the usual eateries.

irvan moore 2 years, 6 months ago

i'm pretty interested in bacon and hashbrowns

paul85 2 years, 6 months ago

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

"Occupy Lawrence?"

lol. same bunch of neohippies who caused that thuggish Wisconsinistan weeks ago.

they are all over the map, ill informed, ginned up by Moveon.org and Soros money. anybody's fingers been bit off yet?

in numerous interviews, the ignorance of the "protestors" has been well demonstrated.

contrast the hundreds of arrests, thuggish behavior, and desire by some to overturn the U.S. government with the peaceful and well informed protests of the truly grassroots Tea Partiers. Tea Partiers support the constitution, and have actually read and understood it. furthermore, note the presence of antisemitism among the Occuhippies in New York.

envy, ignorance, antisemitism. anarchists, neohippies. they got their president, Obama. now they don't like it.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow Chad, no prior comments on this grenade???

answer to your solicitation. if bills get increased for recycling, can I have the option to opt-out of that fee hike? and, can I opt-out of the second polycart?

don't want to deal with either one.
thanks