Archive for Thursday, October 6, 2011

Police: Missing baby’s parents stop cooperating

October 6, 2011, 5:53 p.m. Updated October 6, 2011, 10:59 p.m.

Kansas City, Mo., police issued an Amber Alert for Lisa Irwin, an infant who disappeared from her Kansas City home overnight on Oct. 3.

— The parents of a missing 10-month-old Missouri girl are no longer cooperating with investigators, police said late Thursday — an assertion the family quickly and firmly denied.

At an evening news conference, Kansas City police spokesman Steve Young said Jeremy Irwin and Deborah Bradley stopped cooperating with authorities Thursday. The couple had been working with police since the disappearance of their daughter, Lisa, who the parents say was snatched from her crib sometime late Monday or early Tuesday.

“Tonight, they decided to stop talking to detectives, and I don’t have to illustrate how that affects the investigation. That speaks for itself,” Young said.

Relatives of the couple later called their own news conference, where a sister of Irwin read a statement saying “we have never stopped cooperating with police.”

“We’ve been cooperative from day one, and we continue to assist the police with the investigation,” the statement.

Young also said the parents’ claim that whoever took their daughter also stole their cellphones hadn’t produced any leads. And he reiterated that investigators still have no suspects.

Asked after the news conference what would happen to the investigation without the parents’ cooperation, Young said he could not comment.

The sister said the parents would make a statement sometime today; she did not take any questions Thursday night. A call to police for reaction to the family’s statement was not immediately returned.

During a tearful news conference Thursday morning, Irwin and Bradley had described how they frantically searched their home for any sign of their daughter after her father came home from work early Tuesday and she wasn’t in her crib. They said they found an open window, an unlocked front door and house lights blazing, and later discovered that their three cellphones were gone.

“They told us three cellphones were missing. It hasn’t produced anything we can go forward with,” Young said. “The investigation is directed and handled by hard information.”

Investigators focused their search Thursday on a heavily wooded area, sewers and an industrial park. About 100 officers were scouring the industrial area and adjacent woods, while others were lifting drain covers and crawling inside.

But after the evening news conference, police spokesman Darin Snapp sent out a news release saying authorities believed they had done everything they could “regarding geographic searches” and were shutting down the command post about a mile from the home. Snapp said police “will continue tracking leads as we get them or develop additional information.”

Earlier in the day, a cousin of the baby’s mother said Lisa’s parents have given police more than a dozen names as they try to think of potential suspects or people who paid especially close attention to the child.

“We’re scraping for anything, anyone who was at the house, who looked at her strange. Anything,” said Mike Lerette.

Irwin said he immediately knew something was wrong when he returned home from work about 4 a.m. Tuesday. He checked on their other children, 6-year-old and 8-year-old boys, then went to Lisa’s room and discovered her gone.

“I said, ‘What do you mean she is not in her crib?’” said Bradley, who had checked on her daughter about five hours earlier. “I just knew, you know, that something was really wrong. We ran around the house and screaming for her, but she was nowhere.”

Bradley said that’s when they discovered the phones had been taken, guessing it was to delay them from calling police. As she hugged her crying sons, Bradley said, Irwin checked outside and eventually contacted police.

“All I can think of is that maybe somebody wanted a baby,” she said.

Lisa has blue eyes and blonde hair, is 30 inches tall and weighs around 28 pounds. She was last seen wearing purple shorts and a purple shirt with pictures of white kittens.

Authorities have used search dogs to go over the family’s home and nearby woods, helicopters, all-terrain vehicles and door-to-door interviews with neighbors.

Comments

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

The parents aren't cooperating with the police anymore. Ruh roh.

Blessed4x 3 years, 6 months ago

"The parents of a missing 10-month-old Missouri girl are no longer cooperating with investigators, police said late Thursday"

Steve Jacob 3 years, 6 months ago

3-4 days and no clues, you would think the police has to question if what they are saying is true. Does not mean they did anything, but if the parents think they are suspects, I'd get a lawyer also. Someone breaking into your house and stealing a baby just does no happen often. Still think we need to believe the parents until proven otherwise.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 6 months ago

Too much of the story is fishy. Open window? They left 3 cell phones on the counter including husbands who was gone to work? Unlocked front door?

northtowngrl 3 years, 6 months ago

I KNEW this story didn't ring true the first time I heard it. Who takes a baby that old? Who doesn't go to bed with a phone on a nightstand or table right by their side? Who leaves doors and windows unlocked in suburban KC in this day and age? And why wouldn't the dad have taken HIS phone to work? He really left his phone on the counter charging???? And why does it take 45 minutes to an hour to bang on a door next door and ask them to call 911. You bet they clammed up until they got a lawyer. That's at least 1 thing they learned from the round of network news shows they appeared on this morning.

dogsandcats 3 years, 6 months ago

I do. With the ringtone turned off. In case of emergency. As in, if there is an emergency and I need to call 911, or whoever.

cthulhu_4_president 3 years, 6 months ago

My phone is my alarm clock. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

riverdrifter 3 years, 6 months ago

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 6 months ago

Parents now are uncooperative...father is at police station most of the day today...mother is not with him...the plot thickens...

lunacydetector 3 years, 6 months ago

i read somewhere the f.b.i. can track cell phones....some even that have been turned off. is this not true?

Ignignokt 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually... Not just the FBI can track phones. Any law enforcement agency with a warrant can track a phone.

Also, they can still track you phone if you turn off that option (whatever option you think turns off tracking. Your phone company knows where you are to within the range of the nearest cell tower (they have to do know what cell tower to route your call to). So, with a warrant, the police can request this information from the phone company.

And if you call 911, game over, they got you to within a house or two.

So the only way to disable this kind of tracking is to not turn your phone on.

esteshawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Rupert Murdoch seems to be good at tracking cell phones.

Bob Forer 3 years, 6 months ago

Very unusual facts. Don't know what to make of it. Could be an abduction. Could be the parents trying to cover something up. Who knows. Babies are rarely abducted from their homes. I am sure the police considered the parents possible suspects from the start.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, pretty fishy. I must say I bought this one hook line and sinker. Felt just awful for the young parents.

esteshawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Except for the concept of due process. Me thinks you smell of "republican."

William McCauley 3 years, 6 months ago

Ok, what if they are telling the truth all you finger pointers..... put yourself in their shoes, how would you react to finding your baby gone?

I'm sure the last thing you would do is think clearly and you would only be reacting if not losing your mind.

Then again the mom could have done something wrong, wouldn't be the first time it happened.

edmclinn 3 years, 6 months ago

Guilty or NOT you need a lawyer these days to avoid being prosecuted by the police!

wdl 3 years, 6 months ago

The child and cell phones are what is missing. They had better get some legal advice because the charges are not far behind. The story has been invented to fit the circumstances which is why it is not logical. The cell phones and child are missing?? Not working with the police any longer? Here we have two very important items missing at the same time, cell phones, and a baby. Wonder why thats all they took? There is another name that comes to my mind here. I can't remember the last name but the first one is Susan, I think the last name started with an S as well.

rockchalker52 3 years, 6 months ago

Yah, it's Susan Smith. Lied to Couric on the Today show.

garyr 3 years, 6 months ago

Ummm....Cell phones gone. My thought is Mom and Dad were talking on the phones after something (fatal) unfortunately happened to the baby. They disposed of the phones in a hole, in the sewer, in a river, somehow got rid of the phones to try and hide the call history and phone records. They may not have known authorities can still get the phone records without the phone.

cthulhu_4_president 3 years, 6 months ago

Lots of people ready to say the parents did it, even though they are still officially not suspects at all. Read that again, 'stopped cooperating' does not mean 'is a suspect'. Allow me to present a far more realistic scenerio. Not saying it's the truth, but I think it's far more likely at this point than pointing to the parents:

Police are talking to parents, and they get to those kind of questions that they 'have to ask'. Ones about family dynamics, possible abuse (physical, sexual, emotional), recent problems in the family or related issues. They have to start asking for alibis, other records. Maybe some other hard questions relating to details of the investigation that we simply don't know.

If I were a parent in this situation, who is panicked, scared, and only wants their child back, I would feel that the police were starting to work against me, rather than with me. I'd get damn angry. At some point I might ask "Do I need a lawyer?", which the police would probably respond with something like "That is your right". And then I would get one. Because that is my right.

End of story. Except for the story people are making up here, that is.

esteshawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I've seen several comments accusing the parents, though no charges have even been brought forth.

I've not seen anyone ask "why did the police publically announce the parents are no longer cooperating?" This is just as suspicious as the facts that have been released, which some people think prove the parents guilty.

Don't judge yet folks. You do not know all the facts, only those that the police have decided to release. The fact they are notifying the media about "not cooperating" seems to me the PD is not on the up-and-up, and should be viewed with a dose of skepticism.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 6 months ago

This whole affair is beginning to take on the odor of dead fish. Something here does not quite look right.