Archive for Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bill Self won’t promise continuation of KU-MU series if Tigers bolt Big 12 for SEC

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles as he listens to forward Mario Little's senior speech following the Jayhawks' 64-51 win over Texas A&M on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

October 4, 2011, 11:59 p.m. Updated October 5, 2011, 1:28 a.m.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self says he hopes the University of Missouri remains a proud member of the Big 12 Conference.

If the Tigers do decide to bolt for the SEC, however, they will do so aware there’s the chance they’ll never play KU in hoops in the regular season again.

“To me it’s a great rivalry, one of the best in college basketball without question, but I don’t think I would be interested in having a once a year game like I did when I was at Illinois, playing Missouri,” Self told the Journal-World on Tuesday night.

He was speaking after learning Missouri’s Board of Curators announced it has delegated power to MU chancellor Brady Deaton to explore options for future conference affiliation.

“I could probably change my mind (but) trust me, we would have no trouble finding another nonleague game to play. I love the rivalry (uninterrupted since 1907 with KU leading 171-94). Playing home and home in the league is great and all those things ... (but) I can’t imagine, why would we continue playing?

“If they choose to be somewhere other than with us and with the other schools that they’ve been a part of and could jeopardize the future of the other schools ... I’m not going to make a commitment now that we’d ever play again. I’m not saying we won’t. I’m certainly not going to pretend that we would.”

Self grew animated when it was suggested the media would likely ask for a continuation of the series with perhaps a once-a-year meeting between the Border War combatants in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“I’m not saying it would be bad or won’t be bad (playing once on neutral court). I will say this ... the media is not going to dictate who we play. I’ll dictate who we play as long as I’m coaching here,” Self said. “I have no ill will toward Missouri at all, but to do something at a time that could be so damaging and hurtful to a group, I can’t see us just taking it and forgetting. I think that would be something that’d be talked about with our administration and we’d make a decision that’s best for our place. They are making a decision that’s best for theirs. We’ll make a decision on a schedule that’s best for us.

“I am not going to schedule Missouri just to schedule Missouri. I’m going to schedule what’s best for us, period. That’s how it’s going to be.”

There’s already precedent for KU not going out of its way to schedule teams that flee the league.

“We’re not playing Nebraska,” Self said of the Huskers, who like Missouri, are within close geographic proximity to KU. “There are other schools we could certainly try to find games with. That will be sad for a lot of fans if it comes to that,” he added of the end of the KU-MU rivalry. “Hopefully it won’t. Hopefully they’ll want to stay and be part of the Big 12.”

Self stressed that any future scheduling decisions would be made after seeing “how our league plays out. Our league schedule will determine what we do nonconference. I don’t think we would feel we owe anybody or any other school in our league would feel we owe anybody anything that leave. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t continue a relationship. To think we HAVE to do it, there’s no ‘have to’ at all. Only way we do it is if it’s what’s best for us.

“We will do what’s best for us from a scheduling standpoint. And that will create absolutely no controversy at all.”

Self has no idea what would happen in KU’s other sports if the Tigers leave the league.

“I don’t know how the football program feels. I am not into scheduling (football). Unless it’s mandated from above, I want to play who I want to play,” he said. “I’m not saying it wouldn’t be them (Tigers), I’m certainly not. We can’t assume they’d play us.”

One thing is for sure ... “Of course I want them to stay. I want to play them twice a year in the league. They want to play us twice a year in the league. It’s great,” Self said.

Zenger says

"We value our longstanding conference rivalry with Missouri. We believe the midwest deserves a strong conference for student-athletes, fans and alumni, and it is our desire that Missouri stay committed - as Kansas is - to the Big 12 Conference." - Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger

Comments

kujayhawk7476 3 years, 2 months ago

Outstanding, Coach Self, many Jayhawks feel the same way! Coach Gill, pay heed, no Missouri game EVER, if they bolt the Big 12.

patkindle 3 years, 2 months ago

i am not sure what the fuss is all about Ku should be able to understand completely it is all about the money thats what ku does best

dizthewiz 3 years, 2 months ago

That is definitely sure it is about money. BUT the last time I checked, KU was at least in the bottom half on spending for athletics in the Big 12......#1 was Texas, #2 was Nebraska and they BOTH want more money. WOW!

walrus 3 years, 2 months ago

Might be a nice game to pad the non conference schedule

rtwngr 3 years, 2 months ago

Well said, Bill Self. Missouri was the stinker that started the whole thing when Nebraska and Colorado bolted. Some ignorant, well connected, booster leaked it to the media that Missouri was going to the Big Ten and the exodus was on. As it turned out, Missouri never had an invitation to join the Big Ten and all they did was screw up a pretty darned good conference. I say let them go and every time they play an SEC team they will get their helmets handed to them. Missouri has always felt like they were a big time football program when they really weren't.

kujayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Why would we play them at the Sprint Center or Arrowhead if they leave anyway? Those two venues are in Missouri, quit supporting Missouri.

mw101 3 years, 2 months ago

We will see how Self feels about scheduling Mizzu and Nebraska when he is playing a Mountain West conference schedule.

BigAl 3 years, 2 months ago

Playing Mizzou and Nebraska has been like playing a Mountain West Conference schedule. Kansas dominates both of them just like they would dominate the Mountain West.

martyks 3 years, 2 months ago

It's all about the money? So, we let MIZ take the money and run and we HELP them make MO money? No. We play our cards right. We do not fold. They step on our throats. We step back. If it's about the MOney, then they will need to consider the fact that they cannot count on KU to give them a paycheck after they rob us. Bill Self said it diplomatically. If they bolt, skew MU.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 2 months ago

KU should play LHS and Free State so we can keep the money in the community.

Richard Payton 3 years, 2 months ago

Would the fans think the SEC is an upgrade to the Big 10 which was the original choice? The wrestling team at Missouri gets screwed by their own!

rblancarte 3 years, 2 months ago

If Mizzou leaves, I say KU doesn't play them.

Texas isn't going to continue the rivalry with A&M when they bolt. Texas is what makes that game a nationally televised game, A&M is the one leaving, they are the one losing out.

KU-MU is the same thing, just with the dominant basketball program (KU). MU needs that game a heck of a lot more than KU does.

Jimmy 3 years, 2 months ago

If MU leaves, we should spite them by playing a border war game with the Missouri State Bears.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 2 months ago

And if they announce they're leaving, leave the starters in the whole game. Beat 'em by fifty point on their court and do not shake their hands after the game. Laugh in their face. Missouri thinks they're so good in football. The SEC will eat them up. And they have never been good in basketball. I'd even root for Kentucky when they play.
And as far as Self is concerned, give that man tenure. He has our backs. Reward his loyalty.

2002 3 years, 2 months ago

Why would he? The only meaning that the rivalry with MU (other than they a slavers) has is that we are in the same conference.

billbodiggens 3 years, 2 months ago

Who cares who the independent corporation. KU athletics, plays or does not play. They have absolutely nothing to do with education as the recent decline in enrollment proves. I am so sick of all this conference todo that I just wish the whole thing would go away. It means absolutely nothing to anything of any lasting importance.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 2 months ago

Why did you put yourself through the agony of clicking the link for this story? Unplug! Unplug!

TikiLee 3 years, 2 months ago

That was supposed to be in response to hitme's post.

Well done, Sir. golf clap

Richard Heckler 3 years, 2 months ago

Bring the game back to Lawrence,Kansas!

Keep all home games in Lawrence,Kansas.

LHS56 3 years, 2 months ago

Everyone seems to assume Missouri knows what is best for them. They have proven that statement wrong many, many times. That said.....I hope they stay in the Big 12. I hate to loss to them but ohh...so enjoyable to win! And...don't give up hope. We will have a winning football team in a few years. Give our man time to recruit his type of player. (And a few linemen.)

hammerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

NO WAY PLAY MU IF THEY BOLT LIKE A SCARED RABBIT. I HATE 'EM WITH A PASSION SIMILAR TO OUR LATE, NOBLE COACH FAM.

Richard Payton 3 years, 2 months ago

The Columbia Tribune requested an open records act to view the emails from Missouri fans to the Board of curators. All 200 emails requested a move to the SEC.

rgh 3 years, 2 months ago

Please don't have another KU/MU fiasco in Kansas City for the sake of money if Misery bolts. I say part ways with them in all sports and let them form a bond with Missouri State or Arkansas. We have K-State and will be just fine without them if they decide to jump. I would like to see the Big XII with them but if not, let 'em go completely.

fancy80 3 years, 2 months ago

I couldn't agree more with Coach on this. KU won't be Misery's booty call.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Actually, KU made more money than anyone else in the league last yr.