• At the annual Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Conference, Mary Jones received Coordinator Of The Year Award for outstanding performance during the 2010 Toys for Tots Campaign, conducted in Lawrence. She was commended for being selected as the number one coordinator of a local community organization in Region III. During 2010 there were 714 Toys for Tots Sites throughout the United States.
• Chad Zimmerman, Lawrence, has been named president and chief executive officer of Nationwide Learning, LLC. Nationwide Learning, a 16–year–old Topeka-based company, helps elementary and middle school teachers turn their students into published authors for free.
• Lawrence Veterinary Hospital announces new staff members: Dr. Valerie Moser, DVM; Stacy Hensiek, practice manager; and Chelly Sumner, registered veterinary technician.
Dr. Moser joined LVH as an associate veterinarian in 2011. Previously, she practiced small animal veterinary medicine in Phoenix and served as a shelter veterinarian at the Maricopa County, Arizona animal shelter. In Kansas, she helped found a veterinary technology program at Anthem College in Kansas City.
Hensiek joined LVH with a background in management and has been in the animal welfare field for 12 years. She has studied animal cruelty investigation and is certified in animal behavior and temperament testing.
Sumner joined LVH in July.
• The Mid-America Newspaper Conference held its annual conference Sept. 15-17 in Osage Beach, Mo. At the meeting, the board of directors held their election of officers for next years conference. Rich Salierno, mailroom manager at the Lawrence Journal-World, was elected president of the 2012 conference; and Gary Post, press superintendent, also of the Lawrence Journal-World, was elected vice-president of the 2012 conference.
• Jane Bateman Inc., The Interiors Store, 2101 W. 28th Terrace, Lawrence, announces it has become a Hunter Douglas Showcase Priority Dealer.
• The Lawrence Habitat for Humanity has announced their election results for their new board of directors. Members are elected to a two-year term, which begins Oct. 27.
The newly elected officers are: Linda Jalenak, Jalenak Accounting Service, president; Pradeep Natarajan, IBM, vice president; Alex Norman, Home Depot, secretary; and Bill Altman, Capital City Bank, treasurer.
Other elected boards include Ted Boardman, Lawrence Police Department; Ann Evans, retired founding director of the Lawrence Arts Center; Cathy Lewis, Lawrence Chamber of Commerce; Jim Moore, Wells Fargo adviser; and Crystal Swearingen, McGrew Real Estate.
• CNN Mobile Pet Salons LLC has purchased the mobile dog grooming business Happy, Handsome, Hounds. Calli Noller, owner of CNN, finalized the transaction with Barbara Szefc at the end of August. CNN Mobile Pet Salons is a full service professional mobile dog grooming van serving Douglas and Jefferson counties.
• Stanion Wholesale Electric Company just completed its ninth Stanion Charity Golf Classic for the benefit of Special Olympics Kansas. This year’s event was held at Falcon Lakes Golf Club in Basehor. The tournament raised $81,260 this year, which brings the nine year total to $695,000 since its inception. Stanion operates 17 locations in Kansas and Missouri.