Archive for Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Brock Berglund sad to see Turner Gill go

Freshman quarterback Brock Berglund works out with the quarterbacks during the team's first practice on Thursday, Aug. 4, 2011.

November 29, 2011

Although he spent nearly all of the 2011 season away from the team, Kansas University freshman quarterback Brock Berglund expressed disappointment over the news of the firing of former KU coach Turner Gill.

“I love coach Gill,” Berglund told the Journal-World on Monday. “He was a great man and a great football coach, and he really represented the University of Kansas well.”

Berglund, a three-star, dual-threat quarterback from Valor Christian High in Highlands Ranch, Colo., graduated from high school a semester early last December and intended to come to Kansas for spring practice to get a jump start on his college career.

Legal trouble back home, stemming from an alleged assault, kept Berglund from being in Lawrence full-time, and he spent the entire fall semester taking online classes through KU from his home in Colorado.

Through it all, he kept an eye on the KU football program, even attending games at Georgia Tech, Texas and Texas A&M. He said he had not been in Lawrence since August but was working hard to remain eligible.

“Right now, I’m just focused on taking care of my academics and my classes and working out and getting back on campus,” he said. “I’m taking care of what I need to take care of. I’m excited to see who they name as the new head coach and will take it one step at a time.”

Asked if KU remained an option despite Gill no longer being in charge, Berglund did not hesitate to answer.

“Oh, absolutely,” he said.

Since hearing the news of Gill’s firing Sunday, Berglund said both Gill and offensive coordinator Chuck Long had been in contact with him on a couple of occasions. Although their futures remain uncertain, Berglund is sticking to the time table he’s had all along.

“The plan the whole time has been to return to KU on Jan. 17,” said Berglund, referencing the beginning of the spring semester. “Coach Gill and I just thought it was in my best interest, and the best interest of KU athletics and the football team, to stay here and get this resolved this semester and start fresh in the spring. And that is still the plan.”

The next key date in Berglund’s legal battle is Jan. 10, which marks the beginning of a three-day trial for third-degree assault in Colorado’s Douglas County.

Comments

okiedave 2 years, 4 months ago

Why is a 3 star quaterback's opinion so important for a news story? As if he is the prize of the decade for KU recruiting. i could see perhaps if he were the No. 1 five star high school pick quarterback in the nation. But for the LJW to want his advice as to his status in light of the Gill firing, seems to demonstrate how low our football program has sunk. Oklahoma and Texas recruit 3 star players as walk-on practice dummies for their scout teams. I believe Gill should have been given one mre year, but hope we can get a coach who brings KU to respectibility. Hopefully, Berglund will prove to be the quarterback to help do that.

DaBellaDaBall 2 years, 4 months ago

The posts above will tell you what is wrong with KU football: the so-called fans. Here is a perfectly appropriate article for those of us who are interested in the future of the team. In response to the article, a bunch of hateful morons decide to throw rocks at Tait and/or Berglund. If these "fans" want a successful football program, start acting like fans. Do you think OU fans would write something like "Who gives a cr$p about Berglund?" Most KU "fans" do not deserve a successful program. Freakin' losers.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 4 months ago

Two more points --

1. Normally a redshirt is practicing with the team, learning the system, working out and getting better. In Begrlund case he has wasted a redshirt year by not participating in anything.

2. The article says that Gill and Long have contacted Berglund. If Gill or Long land a new coaching job at another Division 1 university and want Berglund to transfer and go with them, Berglund would lose another year of eligibility and then he would only have three more years left.

bigpimpin 2 years, 4 months ago

Who gives a crap about Berglund?

Jayhawker111 2 years, 4 months ago

What is a redshirt in college football?

Under NCAA rules, any player has five years to compete in any four seasons. Therefore, any player may take a year off ("redshirt") during his five years without losing a season of eligibility.

For example, if I enroll as a freshman at State U, I have five years in which to play in four football seasons. If the coaches feel that I am not ready or want to play other players ahead of me, they may hold me out of all the games my freshman year. Since I didn't play at all, my year of eligibility was not used. I have "redshirted". As a sophomore, I will now have four years remaining to complete my four years of athletic eligibility. Even though I am a sophomore, I will be referred to as a "redshirt freshman", because I have four full years of playing time remaining.

The exception to the five-to-play-four rule comes when a player experiences a hardship, such as a season-ending injury.

Berglund enrolled in classes at KU for a week (last year) second semester to get ready for Spring Practices.... When he set foot on campus that started the 5 year clock ticking.

Berglund is now considered a redhsirt freshman and has four years of eligiblity left.

Hope this helps...

heartofalion56 2 years, 4 months ago

To Jayhawker111:

I could be wrong but I believe the assult charge came in the summer. Not when he left.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 4 months ago

To Jayhawk1958:

If you call being a member of the football team as one who shows up fo have his picture taken on media day, then leaves town, and subsequently uses up a redshirt year while never participating in any practices, -then so be it.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 4 months ago

Not sure why Tait is so interested in writing articles about a non-paticipant of KU football.

Berglund says “The plan the whole time has been to return to KU on Jan. 17".
HOLD IT - That was never the plan the whole time.

The original plan was to leave high school early and get ready for spring 2011 spring ball.

Berglund came to KU and then abruptly left KU after a week (WHY), and went back home to Colorado and got into a fight.

If Berglund had been on campus working out with his teammates he would not be in the third degree assault mess he is in now.

I suggest Tait not dwell on Berglund who while using up a scholarship, is not on campus, has blown a year of eligiblity and has contributed nothing to KU football --except headaches (legal problems).

smithy 2 years, 4 months ago

The players have to admit there was something missing in the Jayhawk Football Program and that which was missing was game planning and halftime adjustments to what the opponent was doing. Their loyalty ought to be to the university and their team mates, not to a head coach who by any logical measurement was in over his head. Now is the time for them to provide leadership to the team and to do everything possible to encourage young players to choose play at KU. And, they have to hit the weight room and bet bigger and faster.