Archive for Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Occupy Lawrence protester a no-show for court appearance

November 22, 2011

An Occupy Lawrence protester who faces a criminal trespassing charge for climbing on the roof of a downtown business did not show up for court Tuesday morning, Lawrence Municipal Court officials said.

Sean Maupin, 24, of Lawrence, had an arraignment scheduled for Tuesday, but now a judge is expected to issue a warrant for his arrest for failing to appear in court. On Nov. 5, Lawrence police arrested Maupin on the roof of Weaver’s Department Store, 901 Mass., after Maupin spent more than a half-hour chanting slogans while wearing a Guy Fawkes mask.

A representative of Occupy Lawrence paid Maupin’s $100 bond, and he was given notice to appear in court Tuesday.

Comments

cheeseburger 3 years ago

I hope his making a mockery of the judicial system is rewarded with additional jail time and fines.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

I hate to break it to ya, bud, but the 'just us' system has been a mockery for a long-long time...

Where is my mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrdpli...

ivalueamerica 3 years ago

well, it depends.

you can choose to select this person to represent the entire movement and simply choose to ignore the thousands of veterans, seniors, employed, military families, educated, and yes, even Republicans who support the movement, but that really says more about you than the movement.

Armored_One 3 years ago

Ahhh, sort of like the woman that claims she had a miscarriage because of being pepper sprayed and hit with a bicycle in Seattle, but refuses to provide any medical proof she was even pregnant, let alone had a miscarriage...

ivalueamerica 3 years ago

you have offered the sing of the weakest and most immature argument...if you can not actually debate the issues and the facts, lower it to personal attacks.

You have not debated any issues or facts about the movement, and I am just pointing that out about you.

seadeatea 3 years ago

Yup, its ad hominem at it's finest, as is Navy's down below. I am not saying it shows their inability to debate, because that is in fact one too. But you can't engage in a proper talk with them either.... unless they have some issues to point out. Oh and NavyVet's "There are many more like him" is also a logical fallacy (Poisoning the Well) and has no bearing on the issues either. :-)

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

Asking someone for their address with the threat of taking them out is totally inappropriate. Please withdraw your comment with an appropriate apology.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

What did he say? What did he say? Was it spectacular? Whoever it was...Please stop feeding the trolls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwYCg4...

greenworld 3 years ago

Could it be because he is out protesting...dah!!!

Gotalife 3 years ago

Well, I can see by his Facebook posts that he is now or has been in NYC. So much for suffering the consequences of his actions as a protester...Looks like running away was the best he could come up with.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

Man there's so much drama on there. Reading it, I believe what both he ("Sean Maupin is in New York. Sorry for the ditching out, but it was the only way i was going to get out.") and his friends are saying, but it does also seem like an effort to mislead authorities.

Gotalife 3 years ago

Yes, that is possible...Just glad there is a warrant issued

Scribeoflight 3 years ago

Actually, he does, or did have a job, I worked with him. Not everything you have been told is true.

pace 3 years ago

I don't think Uniku is told stuff. I think he makes it up. It is like lying but it is called foxing the issues.

uncleandyt 3 years ago

link,link link, oh brother, I'm so bored, ah jeez, this again? oh boy

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

This guy his neither the message nor the messenger.

Just thought I'd let you all know that you're wasting ammo by shooting at him. (you never hit your targets, anyway, so I guess wasting ammo comes natural to you.)

Gotalife 3 years ago

Just the fact that he is an accepted and welcome member of the larger group and that his little stunt downtown was somehow something to be proud of, speaks to the character of all of the protesters. So I would say a lot has been accomplished by these actions.

uncleandyt 3 years ago

Just the fact that you have shown interest enough to comment, may or may not link you to things I can not fathom.

Gotalife 3 years ago

That makes absolutely no sense at all

deec 3 years ago

The only missing child I'm aware of is the fetus of the woman who miscarried after being kicked in the stomach and being pepper sprayed in Seattle. So much for all life is sacred. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/pregnant-woman-miscarries-after-being-sprayed-with

fancy80 3 years ago

Why on earth would someone expecting put themselves in that kind of situation. Having carried a child myself, it just isn't smart, nor protective. I don't want to seem insensitive, I am sorry for her loss.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

"I don't want to seem insensitive,"

You are. As well as whoever decided her political statements warranted a death sentence for her baby.

" I am sorry for her loss."

As you've already indicated, it's a very qualified sorrow-- one which allows you to make a political statement at her and her baby's expense. Happy now?

Scribeoflight 3 years ago

The situation of attending a non-violent protest that is a protected form of speech? I mean, I thought when someone went out to protest, they should NOT expect to be beaten and pepper sprayed by the police. I guess the world is changing.

Gotalife 3 years ago

No, I think anytime you proudly claim to be defiant, anything might happen. The very name "occupy" carries with it an aggressive connotation.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

You mean like all those public toilets the have signs that say "occupied?" Does that mean the user is aggressively defecating?

Armored_One 3 years ago

And yet she provides no proof, but wants "justice". Pretty odd way of demanding it, don't you think?

kernal 3 years ago

Wonder if the idiot knows that warrant is going to show up everywhere across the country.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

Save ... the ... stump! (from a source)

uncleandyt 3 years ago

This again? How many times have you posted this same great idea on this award winning whatcha'ma? Are you paid per post? oh brother, ah jeez

budwhysir 3 years ago

maybe this occupy protestor actually found a job and they would not let him off for his court date...now that would be a shame...

uncleandyt 3 years ago

I hear they can't read, them Occupiers.

Gotalife 3 years ago

Some of the posts might indicate that

LogicMan 3 years ago

Is he any relation to the late Tom Maupin, of the travel company that forced open the iron curtain for tour groups? Maupintour?

pepper_bar 3 years ago

Busy running away from his problems, yes.

grammaddy 3 years ago

Maybe he found out ahead of time that the charges were dropped.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

Maybe he's trying to hitch a ride to England so he can join in the vandalism of St. Paul's Cathedral.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years ago

Get a job, after you take a bath -- Newt

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

Yea, that's who I want for president-- someone adept at mindless sloganeering.