Archive for Monday, November 21, 2011

Cyclist critically hurt after hitting car at Bob Billings and Crossgate

November 21, 2011

A 33-year-old Lawrence cyclist hit a car head-on while turning from Bob Billings Parkway onto Crossgate Drive on Monday. He was transferred by ground ambulance to a Topeka-area hospital after the air ambulance was prevented from taking off because of adverse weather.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Randy Roberts said the cyclist hit a four-door sedan making a right turn as he was making a left turn. Police were called to the scene just after 6:30 p.m. The cyclist was not wearing a helmet and his injuries were believed to be severe, but not life-threatening.

No citations were issued at the scene and the investigation had been turned over to detectives as of Monday night.

Comments

DemoParty 2 years, 4 months ago

I was one of the first people on the scene. I'm so relieved that the cyclist is doing so well. Care needs to be taken by everyone in Lawrence, bike riders as well as car drivers. Ride only on busy streets unless it is unavoidable. Riders who are on Iowa and Kentucky and Tennessee are putting themselves at risk when half of the car drivers are talking and texting on their cell phones.. Last night was a dark night. I'm sure the driver looked left and never saw the bicyclist who was cutting the corner a little short.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

Interesting change in language, last two vehicle/bike accidents, it was said "cyclist hit a car "bicycle struck truck". Soon we will hear "a pedestrian hit a car" at the crosswalk. I bet the car and bicycle collided, I don't think it was a coincidental choice of words, or one strictly driven by particular instance. , if you want to shift public opinion, shift language. The language shift is purposeful, at either the police level or the newspapers. I assume both.

chuy87 2 years, 4 months ago

They wrote it that way because that's how the police reported it to them. Things don't only happen one way.

00000 2 years, 4 months ago

Seriously, LJWorld. Nice blame-shift.

bbickel 2 years, 4 months ago

This is the victim, yeah I'm okay, thank goodness. People please look for bicyclists and please actually stop at stop signs, and LJWorld nice journalism 'bike hits car', I beg to differ it was 'car hits bike'. Yes folks where a helmet I will from now on.

amauxter 2 years, 4 months ago

He is my friend and I'm happy to report that he is doing fine. Was released from hospital last night. I agree that he needs to wear a helmet, and others shouldn't run stop signs!

parrothead8 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope he's okay. Please, folks, always wear a helmet.