Archive for Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cyclist and car collide on 28th Street

November 20, 2011

A 43-year-old Lawrence man on a bicycle collided with a driver in the 2100 block of 28th Street just before 7 p.m. Sunday. The cyclist was treated for minor injuries at the scene, Lawrence Police Sgt. Randy Roberts said.

The driver was a 50-year-old Lawrence man in a 2000 Dodge truck. No citations were issued.

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 2 years, 8 months ago

Also had issue with cyclist the other day driving down the road and he was to busy talking on the cell phone and weaving like a drunk driver, then thank goodness it was my turn to go at the 4 way stop cuz he just blew right threw it still yacking on the phone. I would love to say this was an odd man out deal but I see way too many people on bike not obey the road rules. Tell me how do we expect kids to learn safe riding, driving, or anything when adults show them such bad habits?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

There's no shortage of idiots on the roads, and sadly, the vast majority of them are in cars and trucks, which are much more dangerous than any idiot on a bike can ever be.

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

Cyclists, you will probably hear a lot of nasty comments on this site, but don't get defensive. Ride defensive. Put lights and lots and lots of reflectors on your bike. Don't wear dark clothing, but if that's what you have, get some reflective tape and put it on your jacket, or make a vest to wear year round. I've seen some bikes with a flashing light. Great idea!!! Ride as if no one can see you. And, remember, when you are in the street, you are a moving vehicle, and you must obey stop signs. It's not that hard to stop and put your foot down. 99.9% of drivers do not want to hit you. But you must remember that even a careful driver might not be able to see you. I used to ride bicycles, so I know what I am talking about. If my schedule was any different, I'd still be riding one.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

"It's not that hard to stop and put your foot down."

It's also quite possible to stop without putting your foot down, although there are quite a few drivers out there who get their panties in a twist if you don't. And, anyway, the hard part isn't stopping, but starting up again.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

To some people, being in the road at all is seen as "the middle of the road."

repaste 2 years, 8 months ago

Why no ticket? Daytime, riding down side of road, hit from behind, ? Open season on bikes? I like picture of trash truck with front wheel in crosswalk, cyclist still in crosswalk on ground, bikes fault? only law he broke was law of self preservation. When approaching main street from cross street ,how many of you stop before crosswalk? Think about it next time you approach 6th - I would bet 9 out of ten cars do not make legal stop before stop sign, they stop right before entering street if at all.