Archive for Friday, November 18, 2011

Cyclist taken to hospital after colliding with garbage truck

November 18, 2011

A 52-year-old Lawrence man was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital Friday morning after his bicycle collided with a city sanitation vehicle in North Lawrence.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical workers treat a 52-year-old Lawrence man after his bicycle collided with a city sanitation vehicle at Lyon and North Second streets in North Lawrence. Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the bicyclist received a citation for operating a bicycle without brakes. The sanitation vehicle’s driver at 11:20 a.m. was completing a legal left turn when the cyclist, who was northbound on the east sidewalk, entered the intersection and struck the city truck, Sarna said. The cyclist was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, and injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, police said.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the bicyclist received a citation for operating a bicycle without brakes. The sanitation vehicle’s driver at 11:20 a.m. was completing a legal left-turn onto Lyon Street from North Second Street when the cyclist, who was northbound on the east sidewalk, entered the intersection and struck the city truck, Sarna said.

The cyclist’s injuries were not believed to be life threatening, police said.

Comments

jayhawkinsf 3 years, 6 months ago

No brakes, as in fixed gear bike? Cool bikes but very dangerous that should rightfully be banned. For a 52 year old to use one, "Grow Up".
And I hope your injuries are minor and that you're back riding real soon.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

That is NOT a fixed-gear bike. You're obviously ill-informed, so why the compulsion to comment?

jayhawkinsf 3 years, 6 months ago

I didn't see the picture in the earlier article. But from now on I'll ask your permission prior to posting. And of course, you'll reserve your god given right to edit my posts.
Thinking of a word, begins with "A", ends with getting removed.

Liberty275 3 years, 6 months ago

Getting banned or harassed by the staff is a hole lot worse than forgetting to look at a a picture and drawing an incorrect conclusion. So don't spell out any dirty words just to get back at someone.

I'm with you, I think maybe I'll check in with bozo from now on to make sure everything I say is well-informed. It's exciting, having a new "Information Czar" in town, yes, comrade?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

See my post below. It applies to your posts as well.

Liberty275 3 years, 6 months ago

I just like commenting.

Is that well informed enough, Czar of Information, bozo?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

Don't get your panties in such a twist. As far as I'm concerned, you can make a fool out of yourself all day long.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

Edit your posts? Don't worry-- I'll happily allow you to jump to whatever ill-supported conclusion you like.

jayhawkinsf 3 years, 6 months ago

Just do it nicely. Saying "obviously ill-informed" is rude. Being rude over and over again gets a well earned expletive deleted.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

Your initial post was pretty rude. But I guess that doesn't count.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

BTW, there was nothing "rude" about my initial post. You just didn't like it. There's a difference.

jayhawkinsf 3 years, 6 months ago

It's your tone, bozo. It's rude and consistently so. And you seem to enjoy it so much. Maybe that's why L_O has asked that you not speak to him and others mock you. Next time you have a comment, I'd suggest you take a deep breath, put a smile on your face, put a smile in your heart and then tell us your opinion. :-)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

"It's your tone, bozo."

My tone? You're the one jumping to conclusions based on zero information. I guess pointing that out to you doesn't ring the tone you prefer.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

The cyclist in this case appears to be completely at fault. My complaint was the blanket condemnation of all fixed-gear cyclists, even though this guy isn't one of them.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 6 months ago

"...Thankfully he seems to be OK." Who? the cyclist or the poster who raised bozo's ire?

blindrabbit 3 years, 6 months ago

Any damage to the truck, who is responsible for cleaning up any spilled garbage??

GUMnNUTS 3 years, 6 months ago

How much damage can be done to a garbage truck by a bicycle hitting it? The ones that come by my house look fairly solid.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

bozo must have gotten the XXL size box of Snark Flakes last time he went to the grocery store. He's been more than usually huffy lately. The strain of being a disappointed progressive is starting to tell on him. Poor, poor bozo.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 6 months ago

Indeed. he sees his world crumbling, he clings to the belief that he/she/it is smarter than the founding fathers, etc. but crumbling world makes him lash out, right.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm "just another bozo," my fellow bulbous-nosed friend. Honk.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm a bike rider but I didn't even know there were bikes w/o brakes. Can anyone tell me why anyone would want or ride a bike w/o brakes? How do you stop? I'm not being rude or putting out attitude here, just really curious. I'm glad his injuries aren't life threatening and I also hope he's back on a bike soon (one with brakes).

blindrabbit 3 years, 6 months ago

Will not name names but back in 1953 one my reckless friends de-chained a bicycle and went the 14th Street hill. Had several traffic blockers at Tennessee, Kentucky , Vermont and Ohio Streets. The daredevil ended up by Central Junior High (then Liberty Memorial High School); no worse for wear. Wonder he was not killed!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

BTW, a fixed-gear bike can have brakes, or not-- just as the geared bike in this story. Some riders like to go without, and as long as there are no extreme circumstances, a competent rider using proper technique can do just fine w/o handbrakes (but it's inaccurate to say they have no ability to brake.) Personally, I'd only ride a bike without brakes on a track, or some other similarly controlled environment.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 6 months ago

---sounds like ... the Gilchrist brothers! lol. I recall how they'd tell of getting as drunk as they could and then see if they could still ride their bikes, in fact, in that very area down to the bridge, up to the no-tell-motel, etc.
so, this cyclist one of their cuzins?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 6 months ago

Indeed. he [Boozo] sees his world crumbling, he clings to the belief that he/she/it is smarter than the founding fathers, etc. but crumbling world makes him lash out, right.

I must poin out the supreme irony of Boozooooo calling somebody else's posts "ill-informed." once, not so long ago, I asked him if he knew what "profit" really meant. he failed that totally, giving me the definition of reinvestment, or just investment. rofl. November 19, 2011 at 12:10 a.m.

repaste 3 years, 6 months ago

Unless the bike ran a stop sign, the truck hit the bike, he was in the cross-walk! It would appear the truck is completely at fault.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 6 months ago

I believe the truck was already making a turn when the bike hit it. When you're on a sidewalk, about to cross the street, you have to make sure you have the light and that there are no on coming vehicles.

motoadventure 3 years, 6 months ago

Well, what comes to mind for me is that if the trash truck was making a legal left turn at that light, the bicyclist would have had the light as well. Moreover, the truck should have yielded to any other traffic at the intersection because it didn't have a protected left turn.

If the bike in fact had 'no' brakes, the rider was a doofus and knew it was foolish to ride. I believe the ordinance says the bike has to be able to skid either tire on dry pavement, so no telling how bad his brakes actually were to be in violation.

I hate to jump to conclusions, but I wonder if maybe the ticket was issued to protect the city trash truck driver from any fault. It sounds like the truck cut in front of the rider, whose brakes couldn't stop him in time.

purplesage 3 years, 6 months ago

A CITATION????? For a bicyclist? Too many laws. What a day! Take on a 25-30 ton truck on a bike and get a ticket.. To say nothing of being hurt.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm surprised Bozo hasn't linked this incident to the bombing of Hiroshima. He's such the expert.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

Looks like it's become the "idjits pile on bozo" thread.

motoadventure 3 years, 6 months ago

Did you expect any less? It's the LJW comment section......