Archive for Thursday, November 17, 2011

Two women treated at LMH after accident at McDonald Drive and Princeton Boulevard

November 17, 2011

Two women were treated and released at Lawrence Memorial Hospital on Thursday after a two-vehicle crash at 7:30 a.m. at the intersection of McDonald Drive and Princeton Boulevard.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said Ellie Detherage, 20, of Lawrence, turned her northbound black Hyundai left in front of a red Chevrolet Silverado driven south by 66-year-old Mary Winner of Berryton. Winner had a green light.

Detherage went to LMH in a private vehicle, and Winner was taken to LMH via a Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical ambulance. Sarna said officers ticketed Detherage for failing to yield the right of way.

Comments

monheim 3 years, 1 month ago

I saw the aftermath of this before the cops showed up. The "young lady" was standing next to the truck on her phone while checking on the elderly driver of the other car. She had a big gash on her brow, blood running down her face. I parked and was going to go over, but the authorities arrived just as I was about to.

So yes...she had a phone, and apparently used it. Probably got taken in to the hospital by a bystander who saw her bleeding.

BillStinson 3 years, 1 month ago

I am glad everyone is okay..but seriously..how many firefighters does it take to treat two persons for very minor injuries. I must have counted at least 15 just standing around.. Of course that was once I got around the firetruck they coveniently parked in the middle of the intersection that snarled up traffic in all directions!! Seems like a waste of resources to me.

monheim 3 years, 1 month ago

How about you leave that to the people whose job it is to decide what the appropriate emergency response is? Sorry you were late to work. How dare those people hold you up like that by getting in an injury accident?

haggisgirl 3 years, 1 month ago

If any of my family is ever in an injury accident, I hope they send as many firetrucks, emts, chiefs, firefighters and anyone else they deem necessary and I really don't care how long people have to wait to get around the accident. No one in this town is more important than someone who is injured in an accident.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

My main concern is that they get there real quick! I was once in an agonizing wait for the emergency personnel to get there, and even though they got there really fast, it seemed like forever!

I described what happened in the comments after this article:

Loretta Ybarra 3 years, 1 month ago

My sister, a registered nurse on the way home from her shift stopped to render aid before emergency personnel arrived, so she may have been one of the many responders you saw "standing around", which is part of her oath as an RN. You should be so lucky to have plenty of people to respond, paid or not. Had there been serious injuries, would you be so critical?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 1 month ago

I'mso glad that ol' BillS above is such an expert in response procedure for fire/EMS personnel, maybe the LDCHA should hire Mr. Nibbs/BillS as a consultant?

lol.

seriously, he obviously has no idea.

first, when they respond, they cannot know how many personnel and how much equipment they will need.

second, a delay in getting either of these there may result in lifelong injury, or death.

third, I think they know a little more than BS does about response to injury accidents. i.e. what if one of the cars had suddenly caught fire? that does happen at some accidents. and then perhaps one occupant was trapped inside the burning car. well then all those people and equipment BS disliked, and another poster thought was excessive, would be vital.

thank you for reading.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 1 month ago

I sincerely hope both women recover fully.

signoflife 3 years, 1 month ago

...not one comment yet about the design of the intersection? That left hand turn lane is aweful. It's hard to judge southbound traffic, if they are turning, stopping etc. The lane lines don't line up and the skip-striping has all but worn off. It doesn't help that the light changing sequence is very non-standard. Anyone who regularly uses this intersection would probably agree. I am surprised more accidents don't happen. I see many near-misses though.

walkthehawk 3 years, 1 month ago

we live in the neighborhood and have said the exact same things for years, especially about the turning lane when facing northbound to turn left onto 2nd st./princeton. If you proceed into the intersection so much as a foot while waiting to turn, you are at risk of a head-on collision with southbound traffic. most locals know better, but my father in law nearly got creamed a couple years ago.

kujhawker 3 years, 1 month ago

+1, signoflife! I hate having to turn left at that intersection. Everytime, I feel like I'm playing a game of "chicken". If southbound traffic isn't paying attention, a lot of swerving occurs. I, too, am surprised that more accidents do not occur there on a regular basis....and yes, the light sequence there is more than a little screwed up - especially if you're coming from east or west wanting to turn north or south. Can I get a green arrow, PLEASE?!?

intheknow 3 years, 1 month ago

I couldn't agree more with signoflife! We live in that area and I have to make that left turn going north multiple times daily. It's a VERY poorly designed intersection. The road curves through the intersection with no lines indicating this. Therefore, the turn lane and the oncoming through-traffic actually line up if you don't take the unmarked curvature of the intersection into account. I, too, am surprised that there have not been more accidents there. I hope both women recover fully and quickly!

walkthehawk 3 years, 1 month ago

looks like another accident at (or at least very near) the intersection this evening. take care, folks.