Archive for Monday, November 14, 2011

KU football players stand up for coach

Kansas head coach Turner Gill pleads for an interference call against Baylor after a pass to KU receiver JaCorey Shepherd during KU's last drive of regulation Saturday, Nov. 12, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

November 14, 2011

With the losses mounting and the embarrassment escalating, even Kansas University football players are starting to realize that coach Turner Gill’s future at KU may be in jeopardy.

Instead of getting angry about it, as many have done during the past few weeks, several players have shifted gears and begun lobbying for their leader.

“We’re fighting so hard for him and for what people say about him and his job security,” senior linebacker Steven Johnson said after Saturday’s 31-30, overtime loss to Baylor. “I really think he should stay here for a long time. He’s a good coach, and we’re just on the brink. We’re fighting. We’re fighting. We’re close, and as soon as we get that win, I’m pretty sure everything’s gonna turn around.”

Asked Sunday night if he appreciated his players going to bat for him, Gill deflected the spotlight from himself.

“It’s not about me,” Gill said. “It’s really about them. It’s about our program. However they want to do things to continue to have them work hard for our football program.”

Gill, who arrived at KU in December of 2009 with a 20-30 record in four seasons at the University at Buffalo, has won just five times at Kansas in nearly half as many tries. Only one of those victories — last year’s wild 52-45, comeback victory against Colorado — came in Big 12 Conference play, and 14 of the 17 losses have been to league foes.

While so many of Gill’s losses have been blowouts, there have been a few like Saturday’s, of which KU had complete control for three quarters, only to watch it fall apart in the fourth quarter and overtime.

The Jayhawks continue to praise Gill’s approach.

“Coach Gill is very consistent, and he’s a great coach,” senior lineman Jeff Spikes said. “He coaches that you gotta come out and work every day, regardless of what the situation is. Regardless of what happens, you gotta keep your head up.”

Although Gill has struggled to instill a winning attitude in this team, he has succeeded in getting his players to follow his popular “Believe” mission statement. Week after week, blowout after blowout, the Jayhawks have bounced back with a positivity. Still, several Jayhawks said they couldn’t help but think about what will become of the coach who taught them to do that.

“It’s on our minds a little bit,” Johnson said. “We try not to worry about it, but, at the same time, it’s difficult going through a coaching transition because we’ve created friendships and bonds with all these coaches, and when we never win, it’s hard. And in games like this, where we should’ve had a win, that’s even more difficult. It just hurts. But I just hope that we continue to give coach Gill a shot because he’s a good coach, and I’m pretty sure this program will turn around.”

Added Spikes: “Our job is not done. We will not lay down and give up or quit. We won’t. Regardless of losses or records or how much we score or don’t score, we’re gonna come back every day. And that’s all you can ask for.”

Comments

Mike Anderson 2 years, 5 months ago

The sad part about many out here posting and running down Gill is the only fact they can grasp are the losses but fail to understand what is under those losses. Saw one post above where KU football team is supposed to instill pride in the school. For the most part - history - KU's football has stunk. Oh they've gone to a handful of bowl games with 6-5 or 7-5 records and you would think KU is on the top of the world. Even under Mangino KU's record in the Big 12 south was something like 4 wins (3 of which were achieved in the Orange Bowl year) and 21 losses. The only teams he had wins on were OSU, TX A&M, and Baylor (2X). Sorry folks but KU has never been known as a football school.

As far as pride - KU's basketball team is the driver there without a doubt. As far as making money for the school - I wouldn't be surprised if the basketball team didn't generate more money for the school. I wouldn't be surpirsed if the school didn't receive more money from the Big 12 in the sharing of bowl moneys from teams playing in the bowl games than KU's football team generates.

As far as Gill winning - that is not possible with the lack of talent he has on the field. Mangino blew it - or he never could recruit - his last two years at KU. This junior and senior team should be loaded with talent - it is not, in fact far from it. The best defensive player is a walk on.

People really need to get in touch with reality.

catchagrenade 2 years, 5 months ago

he should go because he is not worth his salt. it is that simple. we do not owe him any chance, however cruel that may sound, because he has not been doing his job at the salary that is given to him. i may be too naive and i may be simplifying too much but i do not think it is too hard to understand that in a meritocratic society like ours, you will have to be fired if you are not doing a good job.

camper 2 years, 5 months ago

I would like to see coach Gil get atleast one more year.

petty5069 2 years, 5 months ago

How many times have we heard in the past few months that "football drives the bus" when it comes down to college athletic programs? That being the case, why would a university like KU hire a coach from a small college with a record of 20-30?? If a guy's biggest asset is being a "nice guy", then why would we expect such huge strides in the other aspects of coaching? I mean, hey, he's doing a really good job at being a "nice guy", that's what he does best! So hey, it looks like to me, we got just what we paid for! I vote for a change!

Kevin Randell 2 years, 5 months ago

Ok, I am with the opinion of that he needs to go...but...and I do say but...lol. I say he should renegotiate his contract. Make it to where if there is no improvement next season he is gone with a compensation package that is fair....(not 2 million a year).

Like I said, I am with the group that thinks he needs to go. But, I if we can go get a really good defensive coordinator like ie Mike Stoops then may be and just may be we can turn things around.

Armored_One 2 years, 5 months ago

Uhmm, last I knew, coaching, whether it is peewee league or pro ball, is a job, above and beyond everything else.

Job security is generally tied to job performance.

It's all well and good that he is teaching the players to respect themselves and others, but that should have been done back in grade school, not college.

His job is coach the players into victories. 50% is most likely the cut off point for most coaching positions, and Gill has failed to reach that mark how many times now? College sports are designed two exactly two things.

1. Team and school spirit. The attendant hope with that is alumni will contribute funds later down the road in memory of said school spirit.

2. Make the schools money. It wouldn't be merchandized to all [beep] and back, via a campus owned and operated website and distribution system, if there wasn't a profit to be made from the activities, and success, of the players. Without that success, profits fall, and like any employer, profits fall and you cut out the reasons that you are losing money.

Some of the fault can, and does, rightly be laid on the shoulders of the players themselves, but Gill, on the other hand, should shoulder the lion's share of the responsibility, both directions. If he was a successful coach, then they would have successful seasons. He's been the coach long enough for him to have his own recruits on field.

You can have a top of the line drag car, with the premium of everything, from the engine to the fuel to the parts, but if the driver sucks, it's all wasted money.

Let's stop before Gill puts this car into the wall, shall we?

Ken Hunt 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess the coach now realizes that his time at UB was not that bad.

Go Bulls!

Vaildini 2 years, 5 months ago

West Virginia beat #24 Cincy TCU beat Boise........Do you follow football?

anon1958 2 years, 5 months ago

Well the big 12 is getting worse, so really all KU has to do is stay the same and it will seem like they are getting better. How hard can that be??

rooster 2 years, 5 months ago

I was at the game Saturday. I had 6 tickets to sell since I had to attend a funeral. I sat for 20 minutes trying to sell the tickets for $20 each ($45 face value) after no one bought I went to $10 and ended up selling 3 tickets for $5 EACH and ended up seeing a friend and gave him the remaining 3. Also while trying to sell said tickets a young lady approached me and offered me 2 tickets for FREE since she was unable to sell her tickets, I politely declined her free tickets.
Moral of the story. KU football tickets (reserved seats) are worth $5. I can assure you there will be no more purchases of season football tickets until they are at least worth the face value.

distant_voice 2 years, 5 months ago

If we keep Gill, who takes responsibility for this year's vaunted "pink panty" defense? The only time this team played defense all year was against ISU...when the offense couldn't find it's backside from a hole in the ground. Are we saying the players are to blame? Are we just going to pat everyone on the back and say "better luck next year"? Are we confident enough to know that anyone on the KU coaching staff understands the problems with our defense and how to fix them?

jaywalkinhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I have been one of the Gill supporters for a long time but, it is very hard to support Gill now with so many hard losses. The game against K-State was tough to watch in terms of the loss, but also the gameplay. I think for most, this was the turning point in terms of support...for others it was last year.

The last two games have been the best this team has played since Gill arrived - which is not saying much but they are at least competing now. Considering the money at stake, I would say give him another year. I think he knows that if the team does not compete next year than he will get his walking papers.

Many have indicated that a Basketball school will never have a good football team as well, but I think for most all we are asking for is a team and coach that compete in Big 12 play. Many schools have great football teams and good basketball, just look at Texas. Why can’t we have a great basketball team and a good football team?

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 5 months ago

This IS KU football. It's not like they have a history of winning. I'm looking forward to 20-25 thousand fans in Memorial so that I can stretch out and enjoy drubbings. I also miss the good old days when tickets were rubber banded to packages of hotdogs at the grocers.

Gill is perfect for KU football.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 5 months ago

That's right, keep drinking the kool-aide. We gave Terry Allen 5 years and look what that got us. He was also a "nice guy". Nice guys finish last in the world of college football.

demonfury 2 years, 5 months ago

The players are here to play and to win. Whether they think he's a swell guy or not is irrelevant. Lombardi, Knoll, Landry, Shula were all hated by their players, but they all had one thing in common. They were winners !!!! Turner Gill is a nice Baptist minister in the wrong job. Release him and let him go open a little church in a poor community somewhere so he can be truly happy doing what he does best. He had NO business being hired here. Lew knew it and didn't care because he knew he was on his way out. You don't give a 10 million dollar guaranteed contract to a coach from the MAC with a 66% losing record. Time to make this nightmare go away and start fresh.

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 5 months ago

"Gill, who arrived at KU in December of 2009 with a 20-30 record in four seasons at the University at Buffalo, has won just five times at Kansas in nearly half as many tries."

So he's won 5 games in 2.5 tries? I know what you are trying to say but this sentence doesn't make any sense.

irvan moore 2 years, 5 months ago

nobody wants to come play for tg, i am sure he is a very nice man but he doesn't appear to be a very good football coach

hammerhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Too bad the players can't stand up for themselves and play football. And, boy do I agree with TOE in an earlier post. We simply have a crappy FB program these days. There is a drastic need to clean house. I'd start with the Chancelor and AD.

newmommiebrazil 2 years, 5 months ago

i really miss mangino. i will never forget the time i saw him at hyvee and he let me take a pic with him. he was a great coach.

toe 2 years, 5 months ago

Too bad the players did not have the integrity to support Mangino during the regular season.

jayhawkinsf 2 years, 5 months ago

Gill's contract makes him "too big to bail and too big to fail". I suspect we need to keep him on for at least another year. Given that, let's give him all the support we can. He's still our coach. He's still wearing a Jayhawk on his shirt. At some point, all this negativity becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, with recruits not coming because they don't know if the coach is on his way out. If there was some scandal, or rumors like that, then hell yes, get him out. But just the opposite seems to be true. He's a good, honest, decent man who's had less than two years on the job and even less when it comes to recruiting. I say we support our coach as long as he is our coach. Rock Chalk, baby.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 5 months ago

Every Coach needs at least 4 years to get a fair shot.

Coach Gill is a good man and coach. He deserves four years.

I do however recommend a quarterback change.

Webb has not performed well enough to keep the position.

We cannot afford three interception every game and expect to win.

Meacham is a senior, so time to move on to the freshman.

Let's see what the freshman (Jablnsky) has got to offer.

Need a new QB to shake things up. Let's see if the youngster can play.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 5 months ago

At this point, I have to say I agree. Firing him now would only create another round of turnover. It has not yet translated into wins (which unfortunately for Gill is how a coach is measured), but if we make the move now do we lose some of the talented players we do have resulting in another bare cupboard? We have a stable of good running backs that will only get better and what looks like a couple of really strong defenders. If we change the staff now, I think we lose that. Plus, if the players are that passionate about their coach, transferring would take forefront in many of their minds. It hasn't been positive, but I think we need to let this thing play out. Mangino did not have a ton of success early on and in fact the Orange Bowl year was a make or break year. Agreed they will have to make some major strides the next few weeks and into next year, but I'm game. RCJH!

pepper_bar 2 years, 5 months ago

Gill is safe for at least two more seasons. The players have nothing to worry about.

CLARKKENT 2 years, 5 months ago

JUST REMEMBER, THE CUPBOARD WAS BARE WHEN HE ARRIVED. HONOR HIS CONTRACT. THE KIDS DO RESPECT HIM, AND THEY ARE PLAYING VERY HARD FOR HIM.

rtwngr 2 years, 5 months ago

Abused spouse syndrome: If we just love him enough, it will all change.

I think he needs to be removed from the home and we all get counseling.

Floyd Craig 2 years, 5 months ago

why defend a coach thats isnt building them up for tough football mangino did but the little boys couldnt handel the training for TOUGH football players more of the wussies cant play n should go n play softball they wont get hurt that way

TLR 2 years, 5 months ago

Walk the walk - you all are simply talking the walk